Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #631
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by motosaint
I was thinking of either mounting the 2-gallon unit to the side rack somehow with a pelican hardbag or just putting it on the rear rack and strapping my gear bag on top of that. I just want a clean look to it and yes, not have it lookin' Beverly Hillbilly style. Strapping stuff down sucks.
If you get your hands on the older kolpin fuel packs, they are only 3: thick instead of 4.5. They hold 1.25g instead of 1.5.

Toss it lying flat on the rack and strap your shit down on top of it.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #632
motosaint
LTLYLTL!

Oddometer: 566
Rotopax side mounting.

Actually, the rotopax are 3" thick. I just measured and there's a 2" difference between the left and right side of my seat where the side racks are located. So if I mount it on the outside of my hardcase with the space available, it'll be almost exactly the same width on each side from the seat.

Now to figure out a mounting method...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
If you get your hands on the older kolpin fuel packs, they are only 3: thick instead of 4.5. They hold 1.25g instead of 1.5.

Toss it lying flat on the rack and strap your shit down on top of it.

My Adventures

Trip through the American Northwest - Maybe - 2010
San Francisco to San Diego Quickly - 2010
My First Big Mexican Ride - 2009
Northern California for 4 Days - 2008

Current Ride
Suzuki 2002 - DR650 (Anna)

MSF BRC Graduate '07
motosaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #633
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
I was thinking of either mounting the 2-gallon unit to the side rack somehow with a pelican hardbag
Are you talking about doing this with the 2gal Rotopax fuel cell or the Rotopax storage case? If it's the fuel cell, mounting it to the side (lid) of a pelican used as a side case would be a very bad idea, IMO.

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #634
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTA
Are you talking about doing this with the 2gal Rotopax fuel cell or the Rotopax storage case? If it's the fuel cell, mounting it to the side (lid) of a pelican used as a side case would be a very bad idea, IMO.
Bad! Whay?

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #635
motosaint
LTLYLTL!

Oddometer: 566
Mounting a rotopax on the side...

Yeah, I wonder too. People mount those suckers all over their vehicles.. Back, sides.. Mounting it on the side of a pelican should be no worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity
Bad! Whay?

My Adventures

Trip through the American Northwest - Maybe - 2010
San Francisco to San Diego Quickly - 2010
My First Big Mexican Ride - 2009
Northern California for 4 Days - 2008

Current Ride
Suzuki 2002 - DR650 (Anna)

MSF BRC Graduate '07
motosaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #636
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,536
Those Rotopax are tough dudes but mounted on the side of a pannier and sliding along the road at a decent clip, there's a fair chance it could wear through or be holed, spewing fuel all over the road, your bike, and quite possibly you in short order

When I do my Alaska trip, my Rotopax is going to be mounted to the top of a Pelican case I'll be using as a top case - a much safer spot IMO.

WeeBee screwed with this post 11-02-2009 at 10:34 PM
WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #637
flick
Man on a mission.

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Actually, the rotopax are 3" thick. I just measured and there's a 2" difference between the left and right side of my seat where the side racks are located. So if I mount it on the outside of my hardcase with the space available, it'll be almost exactly the same width on each side from the seat.

Now to figure out a mounting method...
Rotopax sells a locking mounting bracket for their fuel cans/storage boxes

"We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!" Apocalypse Now
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #638
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,417

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:41 AM   #639
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,517
I have one for my 4 wheeler..comes in handy..might need on for the XR if I decide to run the TAT thru NV tho
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #640
Flyred
Who is John Galt?

Oddometer: 681
Re: Rotopax locking set up

The biggest issue that Rotopax ignored is heat expansion. Cold morning into a hot afternoon = bulging gas cans =

The other issue is their seals are not fuel proof

You need to leave the cans empty between rides or the seals get soft and tear. I'm talking in a couple of days they fall apart.
Rotopax replaced everything that failed and I now use Roc Straps over the can mounts to allow for swelling.
Flyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #641
hilslamer OP
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTA
...mounted on the side of a pannier and sliding along the road at a decent clip, there's a fair chance it could wear through or be holed, spewing fuel all over the road, your bike, and quite possibly you in short order
I could not agree further with this statement...and to make matters worse, the footpegs or crashbars or whatever would be in close vicinity, sparking away all the way to a stop while the Rotopax left a trail of fuel in the bike's wake.

When carrying fuel on a bike, you always have to think for the crash before you think for the ride, IMO - just like(perhaps more importantly so...) your body parts.
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #642
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,603
did you fill the packs to the brim without leaving any room for said expansion?
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:54 PM   #643
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer: 713
I'm just now reading this long thread...

Finally some sanity. THANKS HILSALMER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer
I've restrained myself from snapping at all of the people who have replied with how "dangerous" it is to carry tools on your person. Someone even went as far as calling me a "fool" even, which is really not worth adressing considering the following reasonings. I disagree completely, up to a reasonable point. I consider myself a desert racer, and to that end I offer the following insights.

I'm a "little guy"(not to imply I have "little man" syndorme), and I only weigh about 150 lbs. All told, soaking wet, I'm still a skinny white guy(although I'd like to think "fly" for those that get that...)

I typically trailride(read: AA level singletrack and trails, sometimes none at all while scouting for a race loop, etc - think intermediate level trials sections without ribbon in some cases) a 250-275 lb bike. The bike is almost twice as heavy as I am - a little extra mass where my body would carry it(midesction) anyway is not going to hurt my ability to yank it around(I stand almost all the time) a bit - the more inertia I have, the better I can influence the inertia of the bike. Yes, it costs me calories but I'll be glad to burn them on rides where a few hundred calories is not that much on 3000+ burned in a ride.

And as to the safety issue, I clearly state that things should never be pointed AT you, in any condition or at any length. Just like constructing a cage inside of a rallycar, you never point an individual frame member AT anyone. But you would never go without in either case, would you?

That said, I have literally probably hundreds of crashes, from minor tipovers down a hill to major 70+mph get-offs that resulted in inadvertant cartwheels at same speed - and none of them have been without my buttbag on or a small backpack in place. None of which I can attribute any injuries, stabbings, tweakings, prison-shankings or similar to the tools I was carrying on my person. And I ALWAYS carry tools when I ride, period.

Note also that in a later post, I specifically stated in BOLD how heavy my bumbag and backpack were with tools- a grand total of less than 8% of my meager bodyweight. As argued above, this can even be viewed as an advantage in my case.

Furthermore, I clearly stated in my original post what type of riding I do and why, and that this toolkit was really specific to that, and that you should decide what was appropriate accordingly. To quote Neduro, I ride DIRT BIKES with this kit, not "adventure" bikes that outweight even a big man by 2.5:1 and have numerous nooks to store tools in...

If you do some research, even though many of the major Rally winners of the world don't appear to be carrying tools in a pack, they carry enough weight on their person in the pockets of their rally jackets to be condisered "dangerous" by those that have accused me of such here on this thread. And I can assure you that Steve Hengeveld, Quinn Cody and Andy Grider do not race without tools, and specifically do not carry them on the bike.

Allow me to put together short list of very serious(ISDE, BAJA, BITD, etc.) racers that I have personally raced alongside on any variety of bikes and whitnessed carrying a toolkit of some sorts ON THEIR PERSON:

Steve Hengeveld
Kurt Caselli
Ron Schmelze
Ian Blythe
Dave Neumiester
Mark Buckholz
Destry Abbott
Steve Hatch
Quinn Cody
Jeff Fredette
Fred Crossett
David Kamo
Kendall Norman

...to name a few. These guys know what they are doing.
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #644
Flyred
Who is John Galt?

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
did you fill the packs to the brim without leaving any room for said expansion?
Probably not enough room but it's hard to guess what is the right amount. My older version fuel pack (pre RotoPax) never had an issue with swelling but also the cap leaked like mad.
The best answer for me was to use the double stacked RotoPax mount with two Rok Straps to hold the whole mess together. Then the cans can swell to their hearts content and I can carry enough gas to get out of where ever I got to.
YMMV
Still that leaves a major weak spot with the gaskets not being fuel proof and falling apart after only a few days of getting wet.
Flyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #645
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,685
thought these wouldn't leak?

uh oh

clapped_r6 screwed with this post 11-18-2009 at 11:36 AM
clapped_r6 is offline   Reply With Quote