User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #646
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
Tool Tube

Been thoroughly enjoying learning lots from this thread, thanks everyone!

Here's a quick contribution, my tool tube, which would work with any single exhaust dirt-bike style machine:

It's 4" black schedule 40. I've seen the tractor manual tubes and welding rod tubes, most are just a little too tiny in diameter to really be useful, plus this was cheap! It's mounted to a pre-drilled/slotted chunk of galvanized angle steel from Lowes, attached by SS hose clamps.

Definitely like this set-up - keeps the weight down low, keeps the tools ALWAYS on the bike (vs in a fanny/vest), keeps the rear rack clear for technical riding, isn't noticeable when underway (sticks out about as much as the muffler, and no more than the front shrouds), and even looks pretty decent from a suitable distance...

FWIW, A tube mounted in front of the skid plate would last about 5 minutes in NC's rocky/hilly singletrack... This thing has absorbed some insane crunches (sometimes backwards!), but due to the location has actually served mostly as a bumper when I biff, not a liability.

Inside, I stow the heavier Wolfman tool roll at the bottom; and atop that, a Husky cordura zippered & divided "bankers envelope" filled with tape/epoxy/quiksteel/spare bits in Altoid tins/etc. Everything fits in snugly enough to not rattle around, but is still easy to retrieve or re-stow.
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #647
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Gotta figure out how to mount a tube like that on the off-side of the 800.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #648
EduardoMas
Spartan Overlander

Oddometer: 390
Jumper Cables, Minimum Volume

Thinnest (10?) gauge, thin insulation. connector rings at one end and permanently attached to the battery. At the other end aligator clips or clamps are not needed, instead, unse another set of connector rings or bullets.
Slip insulation over the "loose" connectors to avoid shorting (mine where mede of heavy heat shrink, coil the 4-5 ft length of cable and secure the coiles in the vecinity of the battery (under the battery strap?).
Superflexy cables like the ones made by OLFLEX can be found in electronics surplus stores, they are perfect.

You will never be alone jumping your bike, so you or the other guy just need to touch the other battery. If you find yourself alone, improvise with visegrips or bailing wire.

In my KLR days I gave a lot of juice to fellow riders.
Some days the cables came out 6-12 times.
In one particular trip in CR-CA my buddy's DR650 rental was fryed so we rode for two days whth the KLR as the only starter juice available for both bikes.

In another trip the KLR just fryed so it needed countless jumps for 2 days to get to a shop.

Jumps last a second or two, so that setup was successfully unsed in all the situations I described.

I see all the posts showing long heavy duty jumper cables in pouches. A fine investment, but bullky and easy to leave behind if other supplies take priority when packing.

Cheers!
Eduardo
XR650R

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
EduardoMas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #649
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoMas
Thinnest (10?) gauge, thin insulation. connector rings at one end and permanently attached to the battery. At the other end aligator clips or clamps are not needed, instead, unse another set of connector rings or bullets.
Slip insulation over the "loose" connectors to avoid shorting (mine where mede of heavy heat shrink, coil the 4-5 ft length of cable and secure the coiles in the vecinity of the battery (under the battery strap?).
Superflexy cables like the ones made by OLFLEX can be found in electronics surplus stores, they are perfect.

You will never be alone jumping your bike, so you or the other guy just need to touch the other battery. If you find yourself alone, improvise with visegrips or bailing wire.

In one particular trip in CR-CA my buddy's DR650 rental was fryed so we rode for two days whth the KLR as the only starter juice available for both bikes.

In another trip the KLR just fryed so it needed countless jumps for 2 days to get to a shop.

Jumps last a second or two, so that setup was successfully unsed in all the situations I described.

I see all the posts showing long heavy duty jumper cables in pouches. A fine investment, but bullky and easy to leave behind if other supplies take priority when packing.

Cheers!
Eduardo
XR650R
best bet is to pick up a 10g SAE pigtail and a set of 10g cables, with one end using an SAE connector and the other end using spade connectors or mini alligator clips. Cyclegadgets sells a set (check the vendor forum) for $30, but you can make your own for half that price by picking up a trolling motor connector (comes with the 10g pigtail and the mating cable with crimp connectors) for about $10 and then pick up a set of MC jumper cables that already have the mini alligator clips for $5 on eBay
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:52 AM   #650
sqrly
Registered squirrel

Oddometer: 24
Just posting in here so I can find this thread again.
sqrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:47 AM   #651
Mike Honcho
Got Beaver?

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqrly
Just posting in here so I can find this thread again.
Welcome to the asylum!

At the top of this thread click on thread tools > subscribe to thread. It will be saved and show any updates as they are posted. You will find it in your control panel listed under subscribed threads.

See you around.....
Old 12-11-2009, 07:17 AM   #652
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
How Many Pliers Are In This Picture?

I count 12 pliers in the picture. Possible 14. There are 2 folded up multitool. Not sure if they have pliers.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2009, 07:30 AM   #653
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by xroad
I count 12 pliers in the picture. Possible 14. There are 2 folded up multitool. Not sure if they have pliers.
About 10 more than are needed. One of those is a set with replaceable heads. It's one set of handles and you can put on a set of needle nose pliers, blunt nose, e.t.c.

There is absolutely no need for that many pliers (on a portable toolkit)
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #654
river251
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoMas

Cheers!
Eduardo
XR650R

Cool. Are you using multiconductor cable like this? Then you strip all the leads and solder the end on to everything?

http://www.lappusa.com/Spec_Template.asp?nGroupID=10140
Old 12-11-2009, 07:38 AM   #655
Exurban
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
About 10 more than are needed. One of those is a set with replaceable heads. It's one set of handles and you can put on a set of needle nose pliers, blunt nose, e.t.c.

There is absolutely no need for that many pliers (on a portable toolkit)
There is if you have some kind of obsessive/compulsive disorder.
'84 Nordic Tug 26 for sale
2011 Nordhavn 40 under construction
1967 Plymouth Valiant sold 1979
Exurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #656
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exurban
There is if you have some kind of obsessive/compulsive disorder.
We wouldnt be on this thread if we werent. :-)

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #657
hilslamer OP
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH
We wouldnt be on this thread if we werent. :-)
I'm only obsessed with not getting stuck in the boonies, and at the same time I'm obsessed with going there. Strange dichotomy, no?

hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #658
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,031
hahaha, I know what you mean!

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #659
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer
I'm only obsessed with not getting stuck in the boonies, and at the same time I'm obsessed with going there. Strange dichotomy, no?
Giant tool kit and spares, backed up with Scarpa hiking boots. Last time I broke down, the boots worked....

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #660
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Here Is My Tool Kit (tools only, no consumables)

Here is my tool kit.

This kit is tools only, no consumables like zip ties, steel wires, epoxy, etc. All that stuff is in a separate "consumable kit".

Also in separate kit is a strip down electric air pump, mushroom tire plug kit, and a gummy string plug kit.

There is also the bike's stock tool kit with a suspension adjustment tool, few large wrenches for axle, etc, and a special spark plug tool. Some day, when I get another bike without the bike specific tools, I'll have to add them to my tool kit.

Note that I only have TWO pairs of pliers! Sorry Hotfoot777, I am just busting your chops. I wish I have the carrying capacity of your Pelican top case. I probably carried that much stuff when I had my Kawasaki Concours.
Attached Images

xroad screwed with this post 12-22-2009 at 08:26 PM
xroad is offline   Reply With Quote