Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2009, 07:42 AM   #661
BearII
No, it's not complicated

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by xroad
Here is my tool kit.

This kit is tools only, no consumables like zip ties, steel wires, epoxy, etc. All that stuff is in a separate "consumable kit".

Also in separate kit is a strip down electric air pump, mushroom tire plug kit, and a gummy string plug kit.

There is also the bike's stock tool kit with a suspension adjustment tool, few large wrenches for axle, etc, and a special spark plug tool. Some day, when I get another bike without the bike specific tools, I'll have to add them to my tool kit.

Note that I only have TWO pairs of pliers! Sorry Hotfoot777, I am just busting your chops. I wish I have the carrying capacity of your Pelican top case. I probably carried that much stuff when I had my Kawasaki Concours.
Hey xroad, nice list. Couple of questions:
1) where did you get that little mirror, great idea, I need to add one of those.
2) Care to share your consumables list? Does it include something like JBWeld?

'13 BMW R1200GS ADV (triple black) - it doesn't get any better... just had to get another one!, '07 BMW R1200GS ADV - sold after 73,000 wonderful miles together
'13 Ford Raptor SVT - wow, what a truck!
BearII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #662
hilslamer OP
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Here is my tool kit.

This kit is tools only, no consumables like zip ties, steel wires, epoxy, etc. All that stuff is in a separate "consumable kit".
Consumables are tools too,although I see the point in separating them to some extent. Keep in mind my original post was exclusively dirt-driven and kept as consolidated and compact as possible; I've got an Adventure bike toolkit now that I need to go through in detail - and consumables are separated similarly.

I see the little red flashlight you carry - those are popping up everywhere in hardware stores, construction supply places, etc. They have like 9 LEDS and three AAA batteries - put lithium Energizers in them and they last for ever and are more than enough to do tire repairs in the dark by. To top it all off, I found them on sale at Harbor Freight(hardly ever go in there, really!) for $2.99/pair. I can't believe how good they are for so cheap - we'll see how the rubber swithc cover weathers but at that price, they are almost disposable(sadly).
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #663
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
LED Flashlight

I've bought a bunch of those and I don't think I would trust them too much. A couple have succumbed to vibration and been relegated to the scrap pile. The one in my wifes purse broke. They are OK for my kids but i don't think I would want to depend on them for an emergency repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer
Consumables are tools too,although I see the point in separating them to some extent. Keep in mind my original post was exclusively dirt-driven and kept as consolidated and compact as possible; I've got an Adventure bike toolkit now that I need to go through in detail - and consumables are separated similarly.

I see the little red flashlight you carry - those are popping up everywhere in hardware stores, construction supply places, etc. They have like 9 LEDS and three AAA batteries - put lithium Energizers in them and they last for ever and are more than enough to do tire repairs in the dark by. To top it all off, I found them on sale at Harbor Freight(hardly ever go in there, really!) for $2.99/pair. I can't believe how good they are for so cheap - we'll see how the rubber swithc cover weathers but at that price, they are almost disposable(sadly).
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:47 AM   #664
hilslamer OP
2XRedheadedstepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
I've bought a bunch of those and I don't think I would trust them too much. A couple have succumbed to vibration and been relegated to the scrap pile. The one in my wifes purse broke. They are OK for my kids but i don't think I would want to depend on them for an emergency repair.
WOW...mine has been rattling around in the glovebox of my Adventure for a coupla thousand miles...maybe I got a good one?
Old 12-23-2009, 08:56 AM   #665
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
The Flash Light Are Free From Harbor Freight

The flash light is free from Harbor Freight. They give them away if you can find the coupon. I'll look. I got 3. So far only one failed one time. I knock it on palm and it has work find since. That little light has to be one of the most useful tool I have since I got it. I am surprise I don't have a small light for all these years.

I intend to get something more reliable. After all, my bike carry tool kit is for EMERGENCIES. So, I either have to get something of superior quality or have dual redundancies. BTW, in my consumable item kit, I have a chemical light stick.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #666
hilslamer OP
2XRedheadedstepchild

Quote:
So, I either have to get something of superior quality or have dual redundancies.
I carry a Streamlight Stylus Pro for general use:

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=133

...although the HF cheapies definitely have better flood, IMO.

Quote:
BTW, in my consumable item kit, I have a chemical light stick.
So do I - steadfast reliable light, always.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #667
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Consumable list ... and more

== STORE IN/ON BIKE (all the time)
Coded info: License, Registration, credit card #
Emergency $$$ slip in user manual
User manual
Stock Suzuki B1250 tool kit (spark plug tool, suspension tool, large axle wrench, etc.)
Mushroom tire plug kit (primary kit)
Gummy string tire plug kit w/ glue (back up kit, damage tire steel cord can cut the mushroom)
Air gauge
Electric air pump (strip down Walmart $10 pump)
Jumper cable (tucked in a side panel somewhere)
Bungee cords

== STORED IN TANK BAG (Absolute minimum carry)
Rain suit
Day-Glo vest
Strobe light (I have had a hi/lo beam bulb died on me, ride to the store was scary)
Flash light (I need one that has a strobe feature)
Bottle waters
Energy bars
Paper towel
Spare key
Garbage bag
Antacid
Tylenol
Vitamin
Imodium AD
Antiseptic pad
Band-Aid
Breath mint
Earplugs
Eyeglasses backup & case
Extra warmth layer

(Following, Tool Roll & Consumables should be carry but I have no saddle bags at this time)

== TOOL ROLL
Locking wrench 4 (I jettisoned this with heavy heart. If a nut strips, this is use before the locking jaw with teeth comes out)
Locking pliers 5
Long nose pliers
1/4" drive Breaker bar (higher torque than ratchet)
Open end: 10x11, 12x13, 14x15 mm
Box end: 8x10, 12x13, 14x15 mm
Socket: 6-15 mm (small sizes may need to go)
Hex bit holder (for the screw driver tips)(notice I have no screw driver?)
Screwdriver bits: 3 Philips, 3 flats
Extension long
Extension short
Hex bit set: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10 (small sizes may need to go)
Tire valve stem tool
Metal saw blade
Knife
Hemostat
VOM (w/clip & probe leads, Radio Shack one I got is flat and small)
Chain break tool / Master link (this is big, I jettisoned it)

== CONSUMABLES
Loctite blue
Chemical light stick
Electrical tape
Duct tape
Electrical wire
Steel solid wire
Steel stranded cable
Fuses
Electrical wire slice connectors
5 minutes epoxy
Sandpaper
Epoxy putty (JB Weld)
Nuts & bolts & washers assortment
Lighter
Isopropyl alcohol (for cleaning surface to be epoxy, water in gas tank)
Nitrite gloves
Waterless hand clean up goo
Pencil & paper
Solder strips
Shrink tubing
WD-40
Radiator leak seal (or black pepper)
Mylar blanket (repair in the rain, stuff in jacket for warmth)
Zip ties
Brake lamp bulb (can remove if there is a redundant LED brake light)
Tail light bulb (can remove if there is a redundant LED brake light)
(Current bike have separate hi beam lo beam bulb ... redundancy ... no spare bulb needed)
Tire valve stem
Chain lube [long trip]
Gas siphon tube [long trip]

== MED KIT [long trip]
General stuff
Latex gloves
Band-Aid
Scissors
Knife
Dental floss
Tylenol
Earplugs
Paper towel / Toilet papers
Antacid
Imodium AD
Alcohol pad
Antiseptic pad
Bandage tape
Gauze pad
Tweezers
Old 12-23-2009, 09:16 AM   #668
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,339
LED Flashlight

I guess flashlights are OK if you're trying to find something in the dark, but for roadside repairs give me a headlamp any day. I carry a Princeton Tec EOS headlamp. Runs for 44 hours on "low" with 3 "AAA" batteries, also has a Medium (10 hours) and High (2 hours) setting, you can aim it, no bulb to break or wear out (Luxeon LED), small size, waterproof, about twice as bright as a Mini-Mag -- what more do you want?

I also carry a "cap light" from Cabelas for chores around the campsite. Runs on CR-2032 watch batteries.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #669
hilslamer OP
2XRedheadedstepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE
I guess flashlights are OK if you're trying to find something in the dark, but for roadside repairs give me a headlamp any day.
See my original posts - Petzl is my choice but I agree, headlamp is primary in all cases.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #670
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer
I carry a Streamlight Stylus Pro for general use:

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=133

...although the HF cheapies definitely have better flood, IMO.

So do I - steadfast reliable light, always.
I have considered the skinny Streamlight. It fits nicely into the tool roll. Then I decided that flashlight should be accessible, fast, at all time. So it goes into my tank bag list. I need one that has a strobe function. Many years ago, caught in a rain storm between Quebec and Montreal, the 18 wheelers were going by me at 80+ mph while I was on the shoulder. Scary. They I had a dual filament headlight bulb failed and I had no head light for 5 miles trying to get out of the sticks to find a main road with a store ..... So it happened twice! Too many time for me. I need that strobe function as an integral flashlight or separate strobe light. Separate is bulky but more powerful. It is a real "photo flash" light. LED flashlight is bright but I may have to aim it backward.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:29 AM   #671
xroad
Studly Adventurer

My friend laugh at my list.

My friend laugh at my list. He said I'll need a trailer if I carry all that stuff. Well, yes, the list is long but the items are very small, as long as you don't carry the 500 tablet family size Tylenol bottle. I just carry 6 tablets. That should give me about 12 hours to find a store for more. Same with waterless hand cleaner. I leave the shop jumbo size bottle home. I have a film can (getting harder to find) fill with the stuff. That should clean up the hands of everybody that join in to help me fix stuff. I wish I can find catchup size packets for lots of the stuff on the list. It would make things more compact.

OT: Speaking of film can. This young man I work with ..... he has never in his life taken a photo with film! Toys-r-Us real digital camera since he was a baby.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:37 AM   #672
hilslamer OP
2XRedheadedstepchild

Quote:
I wish I can find catchup size packets for lots of the stuff on the list.
I like to call everything in my toolkit "single serving" just like you state!

Quote:
he has never in his life taken a photo with film! Toys-r-Us real digital camera since he was a baby.
The times, they are-a change-in'...
Old 12-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #673
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearII
Hey xroad, nice list. Couple of questions:
1) where did you get that little mirror, great idea, I need to add one of those.
2) Care to share your consumables list? Does it include something like JBWeld?
List has been posted. I welcome all questions and critiques. I am trying to reach the Karate Kids of tool kit Zen.

The mirror is from Harbor Freight. Some stuff, cheap is OK. Some other stuff, it has to be best I can afford. The sockets are 6 points Craftsman. The box end wrenches are Nepros from Japan. The 3 pieces cost me about $80! Hex bits is usually at the most risk. Good ones are expensive. Cheap ones are ... cheap. I got the one made by VIM. Have not try them yet.

Here is a photo of the Nepro wrenches. www.Nepros.net
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #674
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Quote:
...snip...

OT: Speaking of film can. This young man I work with ..... he has never in his life taken a photo with film! Toys-r-Us real digital camera since he was a baby.
I know a kid who didn't know what a cassette tape was when we were recording a performance (running a soundboard). He was in highschool, I was in college. And *I* felt old!

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #675
river251
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:

Open end: 10x11, 12x13, 14x15 mm
Box end: 8x10, 12x13, 14x15 mm
Any reason you go this route instead of combination wrenches?