User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
shojimon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Basic DR650 performance mods?

What sort of basic Airbox ,carb and exhaust mods have you made? I want to enhance the performance of my bike, without a great deal of internal modification (like to stay away from cams, pistons, etc.) Is there a tried and true combination of exhaust, carb and airbox work that will release a few ponies? Thanks!
Yes, I know there is a DR650 thread but it is very hard to sift through all the pages to come up with relevant info.
shojimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #2
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,811
Remove the snorkel, cut the air box open to about 2/3 the possible opening size. Remove the carb and drill out the plug over the air screw being careful not to drill the screw itself. Turn the air screw out to 2 1/8 turns. Change the main jet to a starting point of 157.5- more if you run an after market pipe. I also placed a small washer under the needle to raise it. The washer does not raise the needle as much as a clip position does on carbs with clips on the needle. Remove header pipe and grind down the weld just inside of the pipe to allow better flow. Drop a tooth on your counter-shaft sprocket, two if your doing 90 percent dirt. Dunlop 606 tires for off road or Kings 966 for 50/50- don't lean in the rain.

I also run a high compression piston which gave great results. Jetting is the same for stock or high comp piston.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:22 PM   #3
alprosound
HappyMan

Oddometer: 498
Airbox Mod

Jesse's got a kit and pictures on his site. Try http://kientech.com/

06 Triumph Tiger
Suzuki DR650SE
Yamaha XT350
Suzuki DR 200
Yamaha TTR
Yamaha RT
Suzuki JR 80 and JR50

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

http://ridedualsport.com
alprosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #4
racer 07
Lock & Load

Oddometer: 689
Everything Ram said except be aware if you open the airbox that much and jet that rich gas mileage will suffer. It will make more horespower. Depending on your altitude I would recommend, remove snorkel only, washer under needle(.030-050thick) K&N air filter(optional) 142.5 main jet below 2,000ft. 140(stock jet)above 2,000ft. FMF exhaust. On my bike this produces good power and about 55mpg, top speed with 14 tooth c/s 94mph &100moh with 15 tooth c/s. Reading gps. Mixture screw is a must. Very sensitive adjustment 1/4 turn at a time. Idle circuit controls mixture for about the 1st 1/4 throttle position till the main jet comes into play. Ride & adjust, Ride & adjust 1/4 turn out till deceleration pop goes away. This will be close. If you grind the exhaust inside heli-arc the outside diameter. All is approximate depending on elevation, weather conditions, rider weight, how you ride. Hope this is some help. This is a great do-all bike. Also found Metzler tourance to be a great tire on and off road for me. Ride safe!
racer 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer 07
Everything Ram said except be aware if you open the airbox that much and jet that rich gas mileage will suffer. It will make more horespower. Depending on your altitude I would recommend, remove snorkel only, washer under needle(.030-050thick) K&N air filter(optional) 142.5 main jet below 2,000ft. 140(stock jet)above 2,000ft. FMF exhaust. On my bike this produces good power and about 55mpg, top speed with 14 tooth c/s 94mph &100moh with 15 tooth c/s. Reading gps. Mixture screw is a must. Very sensitive adjustment 1/4 turn at a time. Idle circuit controls mixture for about the 1st 1/4 throttle position till the main jet comes into play. Ride & adjust, Ride & adjust 1/4 turn out till deceleration pop goes away. This will be close. If you grind the exhaust inside heli-arc the outside diameter. All is approximate depending on elevation, weather conditions, rider weight, how you ride. Hope this is some help. This is a great do-all bike. Also found Metzler tourance to be a great tire on and off road for me. Ride safe!
I was giving you the jetting procedure I did on my wifes bike. We just came back from a trip of about 900 miles. I pretty much got a consistent 40-42 mpg with my 950 while I only measured her first tank. It was almost 53 mpg. Of course she rides easy but my point is the best jetting will still bring great mileage and no burnt valves. My tire recommendations are biased toward price, but there are many tires that will give varying degrees of favor one way or the other. I have wanted to try the Tourance on my 950 but can't find a 150/70-18. Your right that the weld on the exhaust is actually holding something, I only ground the exhaust enough to create a slight ramp rather than leaving a blockage.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
racer 07
Lock & Load

Another thought!

Not engine related but I did get rid of the dirt bike front fender for a supermoto Acerbis. The stock fender catches a lot of air above 60mph, has more downforce but a lot of drag. Not a good mod if you ride a lot of mud though. Probably help mileage and top speed a little. Ramm, is your wife a lightweight? Happy ridin quys.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000
Drop a tooth on your counter-shaft sprocket, two if your doing 90 percent dirt.
Ram: Where did you get a 13th sprocket? I've asked and haven't had any one be able to point me to one. I'm sure something fits, but what. I have a 520 chain and am currently running 14/41
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #8
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket
Ram: Where did you get a 13th sprocket? I've asked and haven't had any one be able to point me to one. I'm sure something fits, but what. I have a 520 chain and am currently running 14/41
Sorry to confuse you. I have never used a 13 tooth sprocket on my wife's bike but if I were to use her bike for my dirt riding I would buy a larger rear sprocket to make the ratio work out. In fact I would buy a rear sprocket big enough to use a 15 tooth front sprocket and then gear up or down with the front sprocket from there.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:14 AM   #9
shojimon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Does a pipe help much? I see Jesse has the FMF.
shojimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:55 AM   #10
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
Yes it does, but not as much as a properly fitted Dynojet kit. But it all adds up.

Dollar for dollar, the DJ mod is the best money spent.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #11
racer 07
Lock & Load

Thumbs down DJ kit

Waste of money in my opinion. In the DR thread you'll find plenty of people with this mod that have fuel mileage issues and surging problems. No reason you can't dial it in with mikuni jets. DJ kit you wind up with parts you have no use for. Use the KISS method. Keep It Simple Stupid. Ride safe, Just my .02
Old 09-04-2007, 03:08 PM   #12
racer 07
Lock & Load

Thumb FMF pipe

Good investment. Works with stock jetting, at 2000ft altitude anyway, and stock air cleaner. Gets rid of 6-8lbs also. Ride safe.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #13
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer 07
Waste of money in my opinion. In the DR thread you'll find plenty of people with this mod that have fuel mileage issues and surging problems. No reason you can't dial it in with mikuni jets. DJ kit you wind up with parts you have no use for. Use the KISS method. Keep It Simple Stupid. Ride safe, Just my .02
I have no experience with the Jesse-kit, and I bought my DJ kit from our local jetting guru here in the Neitherlands. Instead of KISSing and trying and searching for that particular jet or needle shape, I simply bought a kit that was developed for the DR (I don't have box full of those at home). Consisted of a steeper tapered needle, different needle spring, needle clips and shims, and two main jets. And most of all, an instruction of how to fit them. Fitting was a breeze, and so was adjusting it. After I fitted the kit I had to make one phonecall describing my symptoms, and asking which way I should go.

I had to raise the needle one notch and it ran like a dream. No surging, no bogging nothing. Just a crist throttle response and very improved low and mid rpm eagernes.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #14
racer 07
Lock & Load

Hey Max!

Did not mean to offend by my KISS comment. Its a term we use in the racing community. Only passing on my personal experiance and what I've read on the DR thread and Thumper Talk forum.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:45 PM   #15
El Toad Man
Offroad adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
I had to raise the needle one notch and it ran like a dream. No surging, no bogging nothing. Just a crist throttle response and very improved low and mid rpm eagernes.
+1 on the DJ kit. It works a treat in my DR
Although the recommended stock settings were way off for my bike, my unique airbox mod, ambient temp etc so it took a little adjusting to get it right. Once dialed in, performance wise it's all positive benefits.

Yes the mileage suffers a little, but the DR is so efficient stock that it can afford to drop a bit. My DR uses about the same or better than any other 650 single I've owned.