Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarlisle View Post
Any Sherpas near dayton, tn?
Old 08-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #1503
CAVEboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Super Moto Super Sherpa

After getting a set of stock wheels, I stripped the hubs down and powder coated them to match the bike. The wheel building was done through Procycle and they did a great job setting up the Sun rims. I would love to know if anyone else has ever done a sumo setup on a Sherpa because I had to send the hubs to Buchanan before Procycle put everything together. Apparently they didn't have any info on the bike and couldn't drill wheels or cut spokes without taking measurements from the stock hubs. This is my wife's toy and she is running a 110x70 front and a 130x70 rear Sport Demon. You all know this bike already turns great with the stock setup and now you can really flick it from side to side. We haven't put many miles on it yet because we have a few things to finish up, but so far it is awesome! Procycle really did a great job and were a big help.

Again, I haven't seen any like it yet so the build process was a bit of a stab in the dark when getting things to fit. The cable tenders on the front had to be reversed and the rear chain guide had to be removed. We tried a 130/90 rear, but it didn't fit with the stock chain length.

This bike will probably never out-perform the stock tire and wheel setup on the road, but we don't care. This is just plain cool and the performance is a big bonus.

CAVEboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:29 AM   #1504
Moco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEboy View Post
After getting a set of stock wheels, I stripped the hubs down and powder coated them to match the bike. The wheel building was done through Procycle and they did a great job setting up the Sun rims. I would love to know if anyone else has ever done a sumo setup on a Sherpa because I had to send the hubs to Buchanan before Procycle put everything together. Apparently they didn't have any info on the bike and couldn't drill wheels or cut spokes without taking measurements from the stock hubs. This is my wife's toy and she is running a 110x70 front and a 130x70 rear Sport Demon. You all know this bike already turns great with the stock setup and now you can really flick it from side to side. We haven't put many miles on it yet because we have a few things to finish up, but so far it is awesome! Procycle really did a great job and were a big help.

Again, I haven't seen any like it yet so the build process was a bit of a stab in the dark when getting things to fit. The cable tenders on the front had to be reversed and the rear chain guide had to be removed. We tried a 130/90 rear, but it didn't fit with the stock chain length.

This bike will probably never out-perform the stock tire and wheel setup on the road, but we don't care. This is just plain cool and the performance is a big bonus.

That is sooooooo effing cool!
As soon as my mind graspedwhat you were getting at, its just screamed SPORT DEMONS and then I read a little bit further and sure enough thats what you went with. Again, gorgeous bike - it made my heart beat a little faster.
Moco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:04 AM   #1505
Moco
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEboy View Post

Whoops! Double post.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:06 AM   #1506
Moco
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim II View Post
Hey Guys, proud new owner of a 2009 Sherpa here. Decided I want to do the re-jet thing but had trouble finding the jets, mainly the pilot jet, as the size needed wasn't listed in any of the resources I searched. I eventually learned (from this thread) that the part number was likely misprinted as a #90 rather than #20. Anyway, thanks to Moco's above information I found a source for the jets using the Mikuni part numbers on ebay. The motorcyclecarbs.com site was down BTW, which is why I tried ebay. Thanks Moco.
Very cool. Let us know if you have any issues with the re-jet.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #1507
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Hey guys, and especially you lady Sherpa riders, my wife posted a few replies back re: what to ask for her Sherpa. She doesn't post much and was disappointed that no one answered. She told me this morning that she was really disappointed that no one even answered. Her bike is absolutely pristine, with sun fade on the plastic of course, 4000 miles. We're been riding in Moab and doing a bunch of the "nowhere else to be had rides/trails here". If anyone has an idea of what a fair price for an '09 Sherpa would be, please post your thoughts. Thanks
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:09 PM   #1508
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Hey guys, and especially you lady Sherpa riders, my wife posted a few replies back re: what to ask for her Sherpa. She doesn't post much and was disappointed that no one answered. She told me this morning that she was really disappointed that no one even answered. Her bike is absolutely pristine, with sun fade on the plastic of course, 4000 miles. We're been riding in Moab and doing a bunch of the "nowhere else to be had rides/trails here". If anyone has an idea of what a fair price for an '09 Sherpa would be, please post your thoughts. Thanks
Any advice I could offer would be seriously tainted by the fact that new Sherpa sales stopped here in 2007, and the exchange rate has moved enormously in the last couple of years without accompanying changes to second hand vehicle prices....

Have a look back over the thread and in the Yahoo group, there are quite a few reports of newly acquired bikes with prices indicated.

I like to think that Sherpa owners don't know what their bikes are worth because they have no reason to want to sell them!
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #1509
sherpa nige
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I would clean up the bike, list it for what you paid for it and go from there.

do you guys have a lighted instrument panels on your bikes?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #1510
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Dr. Jeckyll Carb Mod Review & Valve Clearance Check

I finished the carb mod earlier this evening & took her out for a test ride. Warm-up time was a lot faster and started easier. On the way out of the driveway the tire was spinning in the gravel without even trying.
It has quite a bit more low end grunt in 2nd gear, & 3rd-6th seems to be about the same with maybe a slight bit more power but seems to be smoother with no hesitations. I'm not sure about 1st gear yet because it wasn't quite warmed up yet. It seems to be idling a little slower now which I think is better.
My carb had a brass plug that needed drilled out not epoxy, I started with an 1/8th and worked up to 3/16ths or one size larger & what was left caught on the drill bit, spun & came right out. The screw that needed adjusted to 2 & 3/4 turns from all the way in only needed turned a quarter of a turn because it was already out 3 full turns.
The valves were in spec so no adjustment needed at 2800 miles. When I bought the bike in april it had just under 1500 miles & it a 2000 model.
I just hope my mileage doesn't decrease, a tank will tell this coming week.
Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #1511
Moco
Adventurer

Quote:
I bought my 2009 this June for $2800 with 600 miles on it.

I would say your bike is worth no more than $3000 and no less than $2500. You can ask for $3000 and work your way down to $2500 until someone shows up with cash. The good thing about these bikes is that there are very few of them for sale at any one time which is also a bad thing in that people that are specifically looking for them are few and far between.

One thing I will say though is that everywhere I go with mine, someone comes up to talk to me about it. So what I would recommend is taping a FOR SALE sign on it and riding it out to whichever bike shop is having an event any given weekend.

Also post it here, on CL, and Ebay.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:18 PM   #1512
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
I finished the carb mod earlier this evening & took her out for a test ride. Warm-up time was a lot faster and started easier. On the way out of the driveway the tire was spinning in the gravel without even trying.
It has quite a bit more low end grunt in 2nd gear, & 3rd-6th seems to be about the same with maybe a slight bit more power but seems to be smoother with no hesitations. I'm not sure about 1st gear yet because it wasn't quite warmed up yet. It seems to be idling a little slower now which I think is better.
My carb had a brass plug that needed drilled out not epoxy, I started with an 1/8th and worked up to 3/16ths or one size larger & what was left caught on the drill bit, spun & came right out. The screw that needed adjusted to 2 & 3/4 turns from all the way in only needed turned a quarter of a turn because it was already out 3 full turns.
The valves were in spec so no adjustment needed at 2800 miles. When I bought the bike in april it had just under 1500 miles & it a 2000 model.
I just hope my mileage doesn't decrease, a tank will tell this coming week.
Well 1st gear is still not any better, the damn thing is still stumbling like a drunk. Thats the type of crap that could get you killed! just when I thought I could pull out on to the road it stumbled, so I either have to gun the hell out of it or pull over. Anyone have any thoughts ?
Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #1513
sherpa nige
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
sorry, can't help you there but i can show a pic of my sherpa

Old 08-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #1514
past_tense
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
My 2002 was recently swiped. The insurance company originally tried to tell me it was worth $1,200. I pointed out the error of their ways, providing prices from a national search of craig's and cycletrader. They checked more closely and up the value to $2,250. Sherpa's are hard to find and really hold their value.
past_tense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #1515
lgottler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
Well 1st gear is still not any better, the damn thing is still stumbling like a drunk. Thats the type of crap that could get you killed! just when I thought I could pull out on to the road it stumbled, so I either have to gun the hell out of it or pull over. Anyone have any thoughts ?
Mine does that when I have the choke on just a little. If I try to jump the gun and ride it before the choke is COMPLETELY off, it will go a bit, then just stumble, then catch again in a second. If I get it warmed up enough, that goes away. Probably no help here!
lgottler is offline   Reply With Quote