Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #1516
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgottler View Post
Mine does that when I have the choke on just a little. If I try to jump the gun and ride it before the choke is COMPLETELY off, it will go a bit, then just stumble, then catch again in a second. If I get it warmed up enough, that goes away. Probably no help here!
Well thats what mine is doing but I did the Dr. Jeckyll carb mod to help aleviate that problem along with it running so lean that the header glowed red at warm up.

This is what Woodsrat had to say about it & he's very good with bikes, I heard someone else say he was a master mechanic when it came to bikes.
"My XT-225 would do this especially after it sat awhile--turned out to be the vacuum diaphram in the carb. This slide MUST be free to move and if there's any dirt/dead gas on it or the needle it'll create a stumble as you describe. Given your bike is ten years old without many miles on it there's always a possibility of a buildup of scummy gas on the slide or the needle."
Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #1517
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypgn View Post
I have a 2009 Super Sherpa with 4,100 miles. My husband bought it new and we have installed a rack on the back and re-jetted the carb. It runs great and is like new. I'm not sure what to ask for it. I probably will not sell it until this winter. We are currently spending the summer in Moab, UT and will be back in Phoenix, AZ by October. I am having a hard time figuring out what kind of price to ask. Any suggestions?
I bought my 2000 model back in April of this year with just under 1500 miles for $1500.00

It's your bike, you can ask what ever you want, most people usually wind up eating any labor charges they spend on a bike or anything else so I would forget about that, but figuring in extra's is certainly ok, like the rack, or the money you spent on the jets if the original ones go with it. Then figure in the miles you've put on it & whether or not you think that may effect the price or not. I would always start high & then think about any offers you receive. Theres no need to sell right away unless you're in trouble financially. If you are don't let the buyer know that.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:54 AM   #1518
XRWilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypgn View Post
I have a 2009 Super Sherpa with 4,100 miles. My husband bought it new and we have installed a rack on the back and re-jetted the carb. It runs great and is like new. I'm not sure what to ask for it. I probably will not sell it until this winter. We are currently spending the summer in Moab, UT and will be back in Phoenix, AZ by October. I am having a hard time figuring out what kind of price to ask. Any suggestions?
That’s an awesome photo you posted with the Grand Canyon in the background.

As to selling the SS, something else you might take a shot at is Sprocket List (link below). While it’s just another free listing service, the AMA just hooked up with them in some venture and released an announcement it to all the AMA members about it; late last week iirc. With that type of exposure there are more eyes on their board, at least at the moment. I listed my XR1200 Sportster in there and got two inquiries already, and I haven’t received a single inquiry off a CL listing. GOOD LUCK!

http://www.sprocketlist.com/?source=logo
XRWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:52 AM   #1519
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
"My XT-225 would do this especially after it sat awhile--turned out to be the vacuum diaphram in the carb. This slide MUST be free to move and if there's any dirt/dead gas on it or the needle it'll create a stumble as you describe. Given your bike is ten years old without many miles on it there's always a possibility of a buildup of scummy gas on the slide or the needle."
My SS would do the same thing, and it would be especially bad if I put ethanol-containing gas in the tank. I cleaned the slide several times, nothing seemed to help. What did seem to help was putting a little bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank with the gas.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #1520
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Hey guys, and especially you lady Sherpa riders, my wife posted a few replies back re: what to ask for her Sherpa. She doesn't post much and was disappointed that no one answered. She told me this morning that she was really disappointed that no one even answered. Her bike is absolutely pristine, with sun fade on the plastic of course, 4000 miles. We're been riding in Moab and doing a bunch of the "nowhere else to be had rides/trails here". If anyone has an idea of what a fair price for an '09 Sherpa would be, please post your thoughts. Thanks
In Canada, I'd guess it's worth around $3,700. My wife's was 4 years old when she bought it. The original owner never rode after the first season, but he changed the oil & filter Spring & Fall anyway. The bike was not even really broken-in. Best I recall, she paid ~$3,300.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:00 AM   #1521
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
My SS would do the same thing, and it would be especially bad if I put ethanol-containing gas in the tank. I cleaned the slide several times, nothing seemed to help. What did seem to help was putting a little bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank with the gas.
I was thinking of doing this very thing because I use it regularly in my vehicles. However i'm not sure about putting it in the crankcase since it shares oil with the trans. Any idea how this might effect shifting?? and what about other additives in the oil like slick 50 or something similar?
Old 08-19-2011, 02:57 AM   #1522
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
I was thinking of doing this very thing because I use it regularly in my vehicles. However i'm not sure about putting it in the crankcase since it shares oil with the trans. Any idea how this might effect shifting?? and what about other additives in the oil like slick 50 or something similar?
Do not put additives in engine oil.

It's a bad idea at the best of times and an even worse idea with a wet clutch.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #1523
buickid
Lets ride!

Oddometer: 310
Hey guys, just picked up a 2009 Super Sherpa with ~675mi on the clock a couple days ago from Wyoming. Changed the oil and took her up to Fort Collins for a camping trip with my buddies. Runs like a charm, great bike! Hope to add side and rear racks soon with a fuel mount on the rear rack and a couple small ammo cans on the side racks, along with the engine guard/skid plate.
buickid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #1524
Sooray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Gear Shifter

Hi,

I need a spare gear shifter for my 2005 KL250 - H9 S/Sherpa. Is this part interchangeable between different models/years of production or do I need to be careful about what I buy to make sure it fits properly?

Thanks
Sooray
Sooray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:22 AM   #1525
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooray View Post
Hi,

I need a spare gear shifter for my 2005 KL250 - H9 S/Sherpa. Is this part interchangeable between different models/years of production or do I need to be careful about what I buy to make sure it fits properly?

Thanks
Sooray

I would be astonished if it's not a standard metric spline and the same as dozens of other Japanese bikes.

The length of the lever, the offset outwards away from the case, and possibly the angle relative to the splines may all differ from one model to another. All but length are easily corrected with a vice and a little brute force.

Personally I'd like my gear lever slightly lower but I've never got around to getting an alternative and bending it to suit.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #1526
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,750
Fixing to do the rejetting of the carb. has anyone shimmed the needle up or does the rejetting take care of everything? Also anyone extended the kickstand? I don't remember my 2001"s being this short. Of course I have slept since then . Getting 68-70 mpg and having a blast on FS and single track with it.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #1527
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
working on the carb question

I am trying to remove the floats from the carb. What is the trick for getting them out? I cant see a screw or am I able to pull the pin that the floats pivot off of.......
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #1528
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Hey guys, and especially you lady Sherpa riders, my wife posted a few replies back re: what to ask for her Sherpa. She doesn't post much and was disappointed that no one answered. She told me this morning that she was really disappointed that no one even answered. Her bike is absolutely pristine, with sun fade on the plastic of course, 4000 miles. We're been riding in Moab and doing a bunch of the "nowhere else to be had rides/trails here". If anyone has an idea of what a fair price for an '09 Sherpa would be, please post your thoughts. Thanks
For what it's worth, there are still new '09s floating around. I've seen ads on line where dealers are asking as little as $3300 for them, new with warranty.

I'd ask, as previously suggested, between $2500 and $3000. There are many low mileage examples around, and by low miles I mean under 1000.

Good luck with the sale.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #1529
CAVEboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Mine is an 02 and had 1600 miles when we bought it for $1850. It was the only one for sale for miles around though and had I let it sit in the ads for more than a day before calling it probably would have sold quick. I think I could get a little more now if I tried to sell it, but how could I replace it?
CAVEboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #1530
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtnadvil View Post
I am trying to remove the floats from the carb. What is the trick for getting them out? I cant see a screw or am I able to pull the pin that the floats pivot off of.......
The pin is how you remove the float, yes. Be VERY careful that you don't bend/damage the float valve assembly when you remove the float. Look carefully at how it all fits together so you can put it back the right way.