Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2011, 05:22 AM   #1546
XRWilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantheman View Post
My filter oil cap ,bleeds oil , what do I have put there??? Is it a part I can find only from Kawasaki or I can just go and buy a Viton O-ring and seal it???
The rubber O-ring is missing. The OEM part is $2.98 at bikebandit. Youll see it in the oil pump schematic on their site or other OEM suppliers. Im not sure about fitment of other rings or seals. I usually swap these out every couple oil changes.

XRWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:28 AM   #1547
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
Quote:
My filter oil cap ,bleeds oil , what do I have put there??? Is it a part I can find only from Kawasaki or I can just go and buy a Viton O-ring and seal it???
If you buy a Fram aftermarket filter (CH6015), it includes a replacement o-ring. My local Walmart stocks them. Might be quicker than ordering a replacement from the dealer, even if you just throw the filter away.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #1548
pantheman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
thnx for the info guys , might be a litle too far away for me to shop from a wallmart given the fact that I live in Athens Greece.
But thnx anyway.
Will this do anything to stop the leak until I buy a proper O-ring? (look for Viton O-ring for better?)
pantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #1549
buickid
Lets ride!

Oddometer: 310
I would spring for the o-ring. If any of the RTV gets into the oiling system, potentially bad things could happen.
buickid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #1550
pantheman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Rtv???
pantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #1551
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
Quote:
Rtv???
RTV = the gasket sealant above. I agree it's a bad idea.

I'm sure you can find an o-ring that will fit properly. Take the piece with you to the store.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #1552
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Bluhduh Rtv?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
RTV = the gasket sealant above. I agree it's a bad idea.

I'm sure you can find an o-ring that will fit properly. Take the piece with you to the store.

Room Temperature Vulcanizing, usually it is RTV Silicone Rubber, it is great stuff for sealing odd shapes but if some oozes into the cavity and then breaks loose it can clog oil passages and kill your engine in short order. If there is no bike shop handy or automotive supply with an apprpriate O-ring look for a tractor/heavy equipment shop. I would take one that is too large, cut it down and glue it with super glue (usually works quite well) before chancing getting a glob of RTV in the oil pump.
The stuff in your picture appears to be a sealant to be used with a gasket which might be even less appropriate than trying the mentioned RTV which is usually used in place of a gasket.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:20 AM   #1553
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
We're not talking about efficiency nor economy, just fuel consumption.
If you tune weaker and get less efficiency, then to achieve the same power you must use more fuel. Less efficient inherently means higher fuel consumption.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #1554
baldrick
Moto-Geezer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
If the DrJeckle mod makes it consume more gas, I never noticed. I got about 60-70 MPG before and after the mod. My riding style and what I was riding (back roads, dirt, single track, etc.) had a lot more of an effect on the mileage.

Someone on the Super Sherpa yahoo group put the flat-slide carb from an XR250R in a Sherpa. Join the group and take a look in the message archive, and you'll find the info.
That was me, and it worked pretty well, all things considered. It's a round slide carb, not a flat slide, and it's a tight fit, but it will go in. I ended up using the throttle assembly and cables from an XR250 as well. The engine-side spigot of the XR carb is slightly smaller in diameter than the stock carb, so I cut a ring of rubber off of an old airbox carb intake boot in my junk parts pile. It fit tightly over the output spigot of the XR carb, and the combination fit nicely into the intake boot on the engine.

With the stock XR250 jetting and needle, the throttle response was much quicker, more crisp, more like a dirt bike. Low end and midrange seemed stronger. Top end petered out earlier than the stock carb. You'd expect all that, as the bore diameter of the XR carb is smaller than the stock carb, so you'd get higher intake velocity.

I never did get it fully sorted out, but it definitely works. I rode it that way for a while in the south jersey pine barrens, and it was an improvement, as you could throttle up in the sand and keep on top of it better. I think there's additional performance to be had with the snorkel removed and a low restriction exhaust. But then I'm not sure it would be a Sherpa - it would be something else. Better maybe, but something else.
baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #1555
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
If you tune weaker and get less efficiency, then to achieve the same power you must use more fuel. Less efficient inherently means higher fuel consumption.
BS, efficiency can be changed without changing the jetting for fuel consumption.

Does DrJeckle mod tune the Sherpa for weaker power output and less fuel efficiency? I think not.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:42 AM   #1556
3xu
ROAM

Oddometer: 22
Sherpa 300cc

Old 08-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #1557
NCJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,159
Old 09-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #1558
buickid
Lets ride!

Oddometer: 310
Details man! What are the parts off of?
buickid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:00 AM   #1559
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
BS, efficiency can be changed without changing the jetting for fuel consumption.

Does DrJeckle mod tune the Sherpa for weaker power output and less fuel efficiency? I think not.
I'm not clear what you are trying to say or what you are calling "BS"?

Are you claiming I am wrong?
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #1560
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,483
By changing out the Sherpa OEM jets for bigger jets, fuel consumption is going to be increased, regardless of efficiency.

Efficiency has to do with relation of the distance traveled, fuel consumption is just how much fuel gets to flow through the carb., could be zero distance if you're just sitting there idling... but still fuel consumption is greater with larger jets.

Pantheman was asking about consumption, not efficiency.

Quote:
and what about consumption , how is it now with the Dr Jeckle mod , has it gone up or down??