Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #1576
NCJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoySlade View Post
Great! Thanks for the link. It's just what I was looking for.

I'm also looking on-line for a Service Manual for my 2000 Super Sherpa GOT ANY IDEA where I might get one?
Got mine from this outfit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Super...item2eaa55056a

It arrived promptly, and was a bit more than half of what KHI wanted for the oem manual.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:07 AM   #1577
XRWilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Greetings Super Sherpa's. As of today I'm planning to be a minimalist, touring in USA. Any advice pointing me in the right direction will be appreciated.
Congrats on the SS EvilRoySlade! Post a picture or two or three...

I got my shop manual from that eBay vendor referred to above. Not sure where else it's available (other than mfg)...would have preferred an electronic copy, but that one does the job.
XRWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #1578
EvilRoySlade
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCJ View Post
Got mine from this outfit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Super...item2eaa55056a

It arrived promptly, and was a bit more than half of what KHI wanted for the oem manual.
I just ordered the manual from Ebay. Thanks for your recommendation. Can't wait to get it and start reading.
Attached Images

EvilRoySlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #1579
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Great! Thanks for the link. It's just what I was looking for.

I'm also looking on-line for a Service Manual for my 2000 Super Sherpa GOT ANY IDEA where I might get one?
The *other* source of Sherpa info.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #1580
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,803
shakedown on the sherpa after rejetting didn't go well. went on the WMA to give it a run before heading to N GA for a week.strapped on a rotopac 1 gal to the tailrack and a tailbag.going down I hit some stutter bumps and she shut off-no cough,hick up just poof.Humm lights work starter barely buzzed, 09 leftover w/390 miles I put on it.wiggled wires checked battery bolts cursed scratched no joy. had to walk out app03 miles out of the river bottom for cell service.lucky cuz was home and sober ,three truck loads of hunters passed with out stopping oh well I needed a hike! Got her home to the shop and started sorting-leaving Sunday this is late Sat evening not a good start to vacation week. Finally found the lower ear of the sidestand switch had broken off.removed and bypassed it. Now East of Mineral Bluff,Ga and she is doing great.Found the rear rack on the yahoo Sherpa site guy in NC makes them, well built bolts right up.Search rear rack to find him.Off to the woods again
Old 09-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #1581
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Greetings Super Sherpa's. As of today I'm planning to be a minimalist, touring in USA. Any advice pointing me in the right direction will be appreciated.
Have a trip/destination/route planned for your Minimalist Tour?
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #1582
EvilRoySlade
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Talking

No definite plan yet. By the time I get my Sherpa and gear prepared it will be late October early November then maybe I will head south on backroads then meander southwest TX, NM, AZ, UT where I hope it's warm and dry.
EvilRoySlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #1583
XRWilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinfuzz View Post
Finally found the lower ear of the sidestand switch had broken off.removed and bypassed it. Now East of Mineral Bluff,Ga and she is doing great.
Unnecessary gizzmo to begin with. I might yank that switch thingy on my 09 just for the heck of it.

Glad you're back on your way.
XRWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:18 AM   #1584
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
No definite plan yet. By the time I get my Sherpa and gear prepared it will be late October early November then maybe I will head south on backroads then meander southwest TX, NM, AZ, UT where I hope it's warm and dry.
Sounds like an interesting, tentative plan, especially doing it on a SS rather than a "big" bike. I, for one, will look forward to a ride report.

I've scheduled myself to leave next week for about 8 days, to ride to the Denver CO area to visit family. Haven't made up my mind just yet, but am strongly considering taking my SS. I don't look forward to crossing KS on it, but want to get into the mountains a day or two on this trip to CO (top of Pikes Peak?) and think the SS would serve me better there than my '83 GL1100.

Lynn
Old 09-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #1585
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,803
well I was app 25 miles from the cabin running around 50 mph Sherpa started slowing down then shut off . same story as last time lights blinkers work gps works but when you hit the button all you get is buzzzzz. damn I was looking forward to a stressless vacation .Had to guide wifey over hill and dale to retrieve me. thinking may be the battery is holding a surface charge? all safety switches are bypassed ,clean connections, but ain't a battery to be had around Mineral bluff or blue ridge ga .
Old 09-14-2011, 12:09 AM   #1586
buickid
Lets ride!

Oddometer: 310
Check the battery voltage when cranking, or look at the lights when cranking (the headlight shuts off, what about the brake light?)
buickid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:14 AM   #1587
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantheman View Post

Its a nice debate , Anyone else with consumption facts from Dr Jeckle΄s carb mods??

How about a FCR???lol ,
Seriously has anyone tried that??

if it actually does consume more , it will be a shame , because basically Im lookin to decrease the cosumption that the short Thibetian guy has,
4ltrs/100kms is not that low isnt it, ?? I think our bike is a litle hungry on fuel!

Ps
I'll go with Mr Tomatoe, I've seen a similar situation on a FCR'ed DRZ 400SM that was consuming a litle less fuel than before ,thats with reasonable throtle opening offcourse.
I calculated the milage tonight, looks like I got 68.5 on this tank but thats probably a little low I would say for an average since I gunned the hell out of it several times & hit 80+ a couple of times. I've been meaning to drive it out of gas at about 55-60 & see what it returns. I'll let you know when I do.
Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #1588
Pencilpusher
n00b

Oddometer: 2
gas mileage

if its any help I weigh a little less than the bike and I get about 73 mpg back road driving.
Pencilpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #1589
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Tool Tube

I just added a homemade tool tube to my SS. The tube is 3" Sch. 40 PVC with "Fernco" test caps, which are rubber caps held on with hose clamps. They were actually cheaper than buying a glue-on cap and a female adapter with screw-in plug to finish the ends. I'll just have to keep a short screwdriver handy to get one clamp loose to get into it. I made it 12" long to be able to take the longest wrench I think I'd need, a 22MM for the rear axle nut. Whatever room is left after putting together a took kit will be stuffed with shop rags to keep things from just rattling around.

Attachment is via two 1" wide 16 GA sheet metal straps bent tightly around the tube. There's a small "pinch bolt" visible in the under fender shot to tighten the clamp around the tube, and the whole works is bolted where the stock tool tube was, sandwiched between the frame and the grab bar(s).

Just a few things remain to get ready for a trip to the Denver area next week. Installed 705 Shinko tires, front and rear, last evening and now it's down to putting on a new front sprocket and a new chain. I bought a +1, 15T front to run the 950+ mile trip out to CO and have a new stock 14T if it doesn't work out too well and/or to maybe install to get into the mountains a bit. For the most part my mountain plans are mostly to hopefully ride to the top of Pikes Peak.

Lynn
Old 09-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #1590
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,498
Have you ever considered how much weight you are adding to your Sherpa by carrying all the metal rack, tool tube, fasteners, etc..

BTW, take off those passenger pegs that would save you a couple of lbs.