Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #1756
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloCalSpode View Post
Just got around to taking some pictures of the bar guards I installed before Thanksgiving.
>snip

Here is a right side view of the bike. I now have the TCI Bash plate, Rear master cylinder guard and the
Aux, gas tank mounted to the OEM Sherpa tail rack.

Finished it off with a set of FirstGear saddle bags, some new Dunlop D606 tires and we are ready
to ride...
Hope this helps someone else.
Cheers and Happy New Years,
Jeff

The bike looks great Jeff.
Nice thread...subscribed.

I've got all those same parts on my husky.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #1757
XRWilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto13 View Post
I love the setup you have on the back - the way you've packed.

If you've explained your setup in the past, could you direct me to the link?
If not, could you just explain what you've got there?
Spare gas tank, sleeping bag? and what kind of bag is under that cover?

My idea of minimalist is to sleep in cheap hotels as well (though I like camping from time to time).
Just interested in what you've brought with you for 3 days (same type of trips I take).
Thanks for taking the time.
I have a TCI Borrego Tail Rack and mounted one of my one-gallon Rotopax Fuel Cells to it using the standard Rotopax single mount and two of the W-Brackets that came with a Givi Top Box that I use mainly when commuting. I laid a cushion down between the fuel cell and rack too. Although not on there, I also have the Rotopax mount extension so I could stack two fuel cells on there if I had to. Probably won’t ever need that much for around here, but I’m heading to the Yukon and Alaska this summer (on my Tenere ) and understand I need at least two extra gallons for that trip.

The bag on top of the Rotopax was a 33 Liter Motocentric Mototrek Tail Bag. This is a good bag because it has the bungee straps built into the bottom of it. It’s not waterproof, but comes with a cover that stays on. Cloths, tools that I can't get in the tube, air compressor, water and food went in there. The blue bag is just a vinyl duffle roll that’s resting on the back of the seat bungee’d around the back using its shoulder strap hooks. That’s what I put the cold weather, rain gear and cover in…makes for somewhat of a backrest, so soft stuff goes in there. I carry a cover for more of a security measure than anything else. I’m not sure how much security there is to doing that, but I also lock the steering head and I have some locking cables for the wheels and cover. Anyway, I also have a small magnetic tank bag that I got at Cyclegear for phone, camera, various pairs of glasses, and some kind of a fender bag for papers, I think it’s a Moose.

Sorry, no camping gear on this trip, but another useful gadget I have is a small magnetic map holder that I also got at Cyclegear. I have a GPS, but that was useful for the Everglades map that they give you when you check in.

Maybe I’ll get some of those cool side cases like SloCalSpode has up there ^^^ for my next trip.
XRWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #1758
Moto13
Riding to Relax

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRWilly View Post
I have a TCI Borrego Tail Rack and mounted one of my one-gallon ..., but that was useful for the Everglades map that they give you when you check in.

Maybe I’ll get some of those cool side cases like SloCalSpode has up there ^^^ for my next trip.
Fantastic. That's the kind of setup I'd like as well. Thanks for describing it and giving me links for the bags/etc.
It all looks very neat and compact.
Moto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #1759
Moco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Need some help with my Sherpa:

My 09 Sherpa's been sitting in the garage for 3 weeks. Yesterday, when I went to fire her up to keep her fresh, I couldnt get her to start. I have the choke all the way out, the battery is 3 months old, and I have the Dr. J kit. When I hit the start button, the engine turns, but it doesnt catch. After a short while, I start to hear a "bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" sound and the display starts to fade.

What would be the best way to start to diagnose this? If its not the battery, what else could it be?

Thanks,
Moco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #1760
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco View Post

My 09 Sherpa's been sitting in the garage for 3 weeks. Yesterday, when I went to fire her up to keep her fresh, I couldnt get her to start. I have the choke all the way out, the battery is 3 months old, and I have the Dr. J kit. When I hit the start button, the engine turns, but it doesnt catch. After a short while, I start to hear a "bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" sound and the display starts to fade.

What would be the best way to start to diagnose this? If its not the battery, what else could it be?

Thanks,
Seems to me like a weak battery.

Did you mean the starter turns and engine does not?

What do you mean by "doesn't catch"? fail to idle or engine does not crank as the starter?

Diagnose the battery first, hook up the leads to a voltmeter or a load tester, that should give you an indication of the battery's health.

Though the battery may only by 3 month old, doesn't mean it may not be defective.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #1761
rubcicube
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Make sure the red kill switch on the right handle bar is in the run position.
rubcicube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #1762
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,241
Quote:

Thanks,
I'd start by putting the battery on a charger for a couple of hours.

Then make sure the petcock is in the "reserve/prime" position.

Make sure the kill switch on the right bar is in "run."

If you can, unplug the electrical connector from the back of the headlight. That'll give a little bit more juice to the starter.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #1763
Moco
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Seems to me like a weak battery.

Did you mean the starter turns and engine does not?

What do you mean by "doesn't catch"? fail to idle or engine does not crank as the starter?

Diagnose the battery first, hook up the leads to a voltmeter or a load tester, that should give you an indication of the battery's health.

Though the battery may only by 3 month old, doesn't mean it may not be defective.
The engine cranks but wont fire. Since the battery is the easiest culprit to get to, I will try that first.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #1764
Moco
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
I'd start by putting the battery on a charger for a couple of hours.

Then make sure the petcock is in the "reserve/prime" position.

Make sure the kill switch on the right bar is in "run."

If you can, unplug the electrical connector from the back of the headlight. That'll give a little bit more juice to the starter.
The kill switch was on, the transmission in N, and the fuel swith is in the correct setting. I'll need to take a look at the battery, perhaps its drained out over the last few weeks.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #1765
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,482
While you're waiting for the battery to recharge, drop the bowl and remove the pilot jet, it's probably plugged. It only takes about 3 weeks to plug one with the crappy gas we get these days. Usually they'll start with a choke, but if it's not firing then there's no gas.

A lead-acid battery should be fully charged and peaked before putting into use. 3-4 weeks is about max before they should be topped up again. To fully self-discharge can take as little as 100 days. Likely at 50% or less and will quickly exhaust trying to turn a starter motor. They're not that big. A Shorai doesn't self-discharge.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #1766
mel brooks
Dirt Chick

Oddometer: 1,700
A quick fix I often do with both my Sherpa and KLX is to drain the float bowl when they won't start.

Bad gas issues I guess.

Works every time.

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”
Steve McQueen, On Any Sunday
mel brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #1767
eddievalleytrailer
Shh, is that a banjo

Oddometer: 16
Holy Cow...118 pages, My eyes hurt

A few years ago I bought a Jeep from my brother-in-law. It was a real POS. I worked on it for about a year, got it in "OK" shape (enought to drive to work and around town), and then kinda lost intrest in it. Well, over New Years he and my sister came for a visit (they live 500 miles away) and my BIL saw the Jeep and asked to take it for a ride. We did, and he made the mistake of saying "Boy, I sure wish this thing ran this good when I had it, I'd never have sold it." To which I replied "Want it back?" He went on to say that he would sell his motorcycle to get the money to buy the Jeep back. I asked what kind of bike it was....you guessed it...a 2003 Super Sherpa with 4000 miles on it. I already have a garage full of bikes, but I can squeese one more in and I'm tired of mowing around that damn Jeep. So, I proposed a trade...even-steven. He bit. So, in the next few weeks a expect to have the bike delivered to me and that Jeep out of my yard!!! At first I thought it was a good way to rid myself of the Jeep, but the more I read of the 118 pages here, I think it might make a fun little bike to have around. I already have a Wee and a XR250L, so I guess the Sherpa will be my midget (can you say midget? or is it little bikes?) duel sport.

IBA# 48298

eddievalleytrailer screwed with this post 01-05-2012 at 06:55 AM
eddievalleytrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #1768
XRWilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Welcome to the Sherpa club eddievalleytrailer.

I have an 04 TJ, but it’s mostly for wheelin. Can't afford to use it for anything else considering it only gets 11 miles to the gallon.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #1769
XRWilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

In addition to all those things mentioned, I’d take a peek at the spark plug for condition and spark too.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #1770
eddievalleytrailer
Shh, is that a banjo

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRWilly View Post
Welcome to the Sherpa club eddievalleytrailer.

I have an 04 TJ, but it’s mostly for wheelin. Can't afford to use it for anything else considering it only gets 11 miles to the gallon.
Who'd think that a Jeep would drink so much gas? My CJ7 only got about 11-12 mpg with a 258 6cly. I'd like to get a nice Jeep someday, but Jeeps are EXPENSIVE!!! A new Rubicon is over 30,000!!! And used ones aren't much cheaper. I think the Sherpa will be a lot more fun than this old CJ7.
IBA #48298
eddievalleytrailer is offline   Reply With Quote