Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #2296
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,792
Check to make sure the carb diaphragm is seated good with no wrinkles or holes & the slide moves free . If you took off the float bowl make sure you didn't loose the little plastic thing that is supposed to keep the bike from stalling in a hard stop. Believe it is next to the needle jet.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #2297
juanmotime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
New SS owner

Hi out there!
I cruised through this thread over the last week and now have a fair handle on the SS's reported characteristics and issues, so thought it was time to say Hello.

I picked up a 2003 Super Sherpa earlier this year, had less than 300 miles on it. The odo now reads over 1200 miles.

Have been riding a DR650 (sold) and Yamaha XT225 (for sale) recently. Am pretty impressed with the SS, I've never owned a Kawasaki before. Thinks it's a keeper!
The temp is forecast to be 60+ degrees F this week so will get some seat time before winter limits me to short rides.

Have a great day!
juanmotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #2298
billnjan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Yes!

Totally agree! I picked up a 2000 Sherpa a few weeks ago and I can't keep from finding excuses to ride it. As a female I didn't realize how much the bigger bikes were controlling me until I got this one - we have a great relationship and he loves to run!
billnjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #2299
billnjan
Adventurer

A question about the seat?

I picked up the ATV seat pad at Walmart for the sherpa, but was wondering if there are any custom seats made for it? I rather go that route if I can, since this stock seat leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #2300
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnjan View Post
I picked up the ATV seat pad at Walmart for the sherpa, but was wondering if there are any custom seats made for it? I rather go that route if I can, since this stock seat leaves a lot to be desired.
Seat Concepts has a replacement foam and cover set available. www.seatconcepts.com.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #2301
scootertooter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Just a note of caution BillnJan, as the seat gets wider (and more comfy) your ability to flat foot the bike may be compromised (depending on how tall you are. I found that by going from jeans to actual riding pants (Competition Accessories Quest Sliders) my comfortable range went from about 100 miles to hundreds of miles. But that's just my experience. Plenty of folks on this thread praise the Seat Concepts sherpa product.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #2302
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,517
If anyone wants to bump up their Sherpa, Bill Blue @ 640 3629 has a new 300 cc kit on hand, Thanks

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #2303
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake View Post
If anyone wants to bump up their Sherpa, Bill Blue @ 640 3629 has a new 300 cc kit on hand, Thanks

cool deal , I think the number is missing the area code though
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #2304
Ripshod
Prym8

Oddometer: 110
I found the B&B website. http://bandbcyclerestoration.com/

Looks like he's offering cylinder kits for the KLX. Doesn't mention the Sherpa. But I haven't called.

I'd be interested in a Sherpa upgrade.
1990 Honda VTR250 for scraping bar ends in the twists
2002 Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa for everything else
Ripshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #2305
billnjan
Adventurer

thanks for the ideas!

So, I'm not quite ready to rip into the seat pan and replace the foam and cover (especially since it's in perfect shape), so I think I'll try the ATV cushion for a while and see if it grows on me. BTW, I've read through all the pages now, and wow, what great ideas here - am really excited to have the Sherpa and a whole team behind owning it! Thanks all!
Old 10-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #2306
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnjan View Post
So, I'm not quite ready to rip into the seat pan and replace the foam and cover (especially since it's in perfect shape), so I think I'll try the ATV cushion for a while and see if it grows on me. BTW, I've read through all the pages now, and wow, what great ideas here - am really excited to have the Sherpa and a whole team behind owning it! Thanks all!
You might try ebay for a used seat, I got one pretty cheap, the vinyl was bad but the pan is in great shape for a replacement !
Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #2307
Ripshod
Prym8

Oddometer: 110
Hey folks,

I just upgraded my seat with a Seat Concepts kit so I have the original foam and cover that I'd like to pass along. The vinyl is far from perfect. Before I bought the bike, the PO had patched a couple of small holes in the center of the seat, about six inches forward of the rear edge. I don't know what he used, but it feels a little tacky like silicone. The patch is black and it's about 1.5" in diameter. The patch held well, did not peel or crack. Also, the vinyl appears to be a bit faded. If the original Sherpa seat is black (never really saw a new Sherpa in person), then it is
definitely faded. Sort of dark brown.

So I think that the only people who would really want it is someone with a project bike or on a very tight budget and in dire need of a seat cover. In that spirit, I will offer it free for shipping charge. If you need the foam too (it's in great shape), I'll send it along too but that will probably jack up the shipping rate, as the box will have to be a lot bigger.I'll hang on to it for a couple of weeks but sooner or later I'll be getting rid of it. Just hate to throw something away that still has some use left in it.

Let me know by PM if you want it. I can ship it and let you know how much it cost to ship, then the seat cover and the payment can cross in the mail.

Here's a picture that shows the size and location of the patch:

1990 Honda VTR250 for scraping bar ends in the twists
2002 Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa for everything else
Ripshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #2308
juanmotime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Endless Drive Chain on a 250?

Did all Sherpas come with an endless chain (no master link)? Mine did. I've only seen them on bikes with big horsepower.
juanmotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #2309
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Which mirrors do yall like on your sherpas ? I broke one of mine when I face planted on mine a couple weeks ago . Ive patched up the one I broke but Im not sure how its going to hold plus Id like something that are abit more trail friendly along with a wide stance so I can see around my winter gear. So wider stance the folds / pivots ect.
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #2310
Yolo
n00b

Oddometer: 2
2007 Kawasaki KL250H Super Sherpa in the Ganaraska Forest Ontario Canada.

Yolo is offline   Reply With Quote