User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #2311
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Welcome

Nice Looking sherpa & pic., welcome to the forum Yolo.
Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #2312
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolo View Post
2007 Kawasaki KL250H Super Sherpa in the Ganaraska Forest Ontario Canada.

That is one gorgeous machine! Too bad the US didn't get them between 2003 and 2009. Ended up getting a Honda CRF230L
dankatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #2313
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,346
Finally got around to putting up some pictures.

McJamie screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 01:50 PM
McJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #2314
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolo View Post
2007 Kawasaki KL250H Super Sherpa in the Ganaraska Forest Ontario Canada.

Where abouts are you from? I'm in eastern Durham region. This years riding season is wrapping up for me( school work overwhelming, not the weather), but it might be cool to get out for a ride with another Sherpa ( or 2 or 3, depending on whose around). Maybe even plan a whole weekend for next year with a whole bunch of guys on SS's.
I'm pretty sure there's quite a few in Southern Ontario.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #2315
gibbo-56
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Question Engine renewal

Hi there all you Super Sherpa fans. Not sure if I've posted this in the right spot but here goes
My partner Trish has ridden her 2005 SS from Aussie to Venezuela so far 167,000km incredible run for a small engine, but it is getting tired. We hope to get to the States in about 6 months and thought it might be more cost effective to find a low km engine and do a transplant rather than try to rebuild.
Really I'm just looking for a bit of help to know where to look other than the obvious eBay. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.
Cheers Gibbo:
gibbo-56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #2316
billnjan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Re: mirrors

Good question about the mirrors. I'd like to know what folks are using as well.. I have an F650 LH mirror and a stock RH mirror on my Sherpa and haven't decided if I like one better than the other. The BMW mirror is much more substantial, but the first time the bike goes down I think the mirror will be a casualty - doesn't seem to have much 'give'. Anybody sold on the ones they have? Enjoying the thread!
billnjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #2317
scootertooter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Hey McJamie,
What is that front tire (size, brand, model)? How's it on the road compared to stock TW's? Does it shed water well enough in that orientation?
I am looking for a smoother road tire since I do 95 percent of my riding on asphalt. Any help and or wisdom is appreciated.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #2318
SasquatchBearPig
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Cracked Engine Case.

I bounced my Sherpa off a rock today and cracked the engine case. I shut it down before it bled out. This happen to anyone else? I guess Ill pull it apart and get it welded but have also heard JB weld would work. To me that sound a little half assed. Suggestions?
SasquatchBearPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #2319
SasquatchBearPig
n00b

After a closer inspection it looks like the transmission cover cracked.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #2320
DualSPRTfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Question Headlight adjustment

I see the adjustment screw to adjust the head light from left to right, but how do I do a simple adjustment to raise of lower the beam. Right now in low beam setting it's pointing about 35 feet in front and it's not lighting up any of road signs etc. It's too focused and is getting a bit dangerous riding in the night, I must say.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #2321
DualSPRTfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnjan View Post
Good question about the mirrors. I'd like to know what folks are using as well.. I have an F650 LH mirror and a stock RH mirror on my Sherpa and haven't decided if I like one better than the other. The BMW mirror is much more substantial, but the first time the bike goes down I think the mirror will be a casualty - doesn't seem to have much 'give'. Anybody sold on the ones they have? Enjoying the thread!
I just installed these on my sherpa, and though I have nothing to compare them to, as one of mine were missing and the other was a stubby, these seems to work great for me, installation was a non issue and they work as they should. I am just happy I can see things behind me now.

Here's the link on Amazon, you can find them on Ebay as well. Took about 2-3 weeks to ship.

http://www.amazon.com/00-10-Kawasaki.../dp/B004B8DRCA
Old 10-14-2012, 04:04 AM   #2322
waipuna
Backroad Scratcher

Oddometer: 30
Wicked Must be a world record

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo-56 View Post
Hi there all you Super Sherpa fans. Not sure if I've posted this in the right spot but here goes
My partner Trish has ridden her 2005 SS from Aussie to Venezuela so far 167,000km incredible run for a small engine, but it is getting tired. We hope to get to the States in about 6 months and thought it might be more cost effective to find a low km engine and do a transplant rather than try to rebuild.
Really I'm just looking for a bit of help to know where to look other than the obvious eBay. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.
Cheers Gibbo:
WOW !!! 167000km ---- I always thought they were a fantastic little motor. I,ve done 25,000 hard km,s on my farm one (low gearing) ,& it still goes great.
Spose you,ve tried Craiglist.
Some of you Yankie fella,s must know of other options??
waipuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:29 AM   #2323
Adam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Well she seems a sweet beast

Arrived in Cambodia 1 month ago for 2 years Volunteer work on less than minimum pay and had major withdrawl symptoms from my 2011 BMW R1200R Classic which I left behind in storage in the UK. Just had to have a bike but could not afford much so when a Super Sherpa came up I took at risk.

It has at least 45,000km on the clock (how much more I dont know coz the speedo sensor is bust). It was said to be "fettled" though the previous owner has got a clue on bikes - handed it over with virtual no oil in the beast.

I say beast as that is a beast relative to the Honda Dreams which occupy the roads here. It takes me back to a Honda XL250 I had in 1970. So, so powerful with all of its 16 bhp Quite a difference to the low down torque of my R1200R or even my previous R1150GSA & Buell Ulysses....

Had an engine rebuild about 2 years ago so hopefully I can bring it back to life and travel Cambodia in my spare time....

Would post a foto but I have not got a clue how to do that on the forum......
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #2324
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
My experience with a rock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SasquatchBearPig View Post
After a closer inspection it looks like the transmission cover cracked.
You can find a few pics and a description of my solution for a busted case starting on post 76 of my TET ride report. The link is in my signature line below.

I was fortunate in that it was not the inner most case that was damaged. There are six cases on the KLR
250, two inner, two middle and two outer. It was the left side middle that was damaged by a rock pushing the outer case attachment bolt into it. I got it welded which increased the amount of material on the mating surface and in the bolt hole. I had to file down the mating surface to get it flat and re-drill the hole.

An unforeseen obstacle was the wait for gaskets. It took a week as they do not stock them. When the gaskets arrived, one was damaged so I waited another week. It is back together with no leaks so far after 1200 miles of riding.

I did have the occasion to make my own gasket with good results. After this repair, I started second guessing my torquing of the flywheel bolt. With a long trip planned, the possibility of an avoidable failure was nagging me. I decided to remove the case and re-torque the bolt. The factory gasket, that I put on dry, was torn in three places while taking it off.

After waiting twice for the local shop to get my gaskets, I didn't want to wait again. I bought some gasket material at the auto parts store and went to work with an exacto knife, mini scissors and a hole punch. Using the case as a template, I traced the new gasket. It has zero leaks. Don't be scared to perform this procedure!

8gv screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 07:29 AM
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #2325
SasquatchBearPig
n00b

Thanks 8gv.