Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #2326
Yolo
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
Where abouts are you from? I'm in eastern Durham region. This years riding season is wrapping up for me( school work overwhelming, not the weather), but it might be cool to get out for a ride with another Sherpa ( or 2 or 3, depending on whose around). Maybe even plan a whole weekend for next year with a whole bunch of guys on SS's.
I'm pretty sure there's quite a few in Southern Ontario.
Hi

I'm from Aurora. Just 20 mins north of Toronto.
I'm hoping on doing one more ride in the Ganaraska on Monday Oct 22nd 2012.
We park at P2 and go in from there.
So far there are 5 to 6 riders that want to come that day but... the weather, work schedules, kids, wives, etc etc etc make it difficult to arrange a group ride.
Your welcome to meet up with me and my son.
It's not 100% for sure that we'll be there, but the boy is very anxious to go.
He just started riding this summer, I'll be on my Super Slo-pa and the boy rides a Yami TTR-125

Yolo screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 09:24 PM
Yolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #2327
Old_Crow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I did have the occasion to make my own gasket with good results. After this repair, I started second guessing my torquing of the flywheel bolt. With a long trip planned, the possibility of an avoidable failure was nagging me. I decided to remove the case and re-torque the bolt. The factory gasket, that I put on dry, was torn in three places while taking it off.

After waiting twice for the local shop to get my gaskets, I didn't want to wait again. I bought some gasket material at the auto parts store and went to work with an exacto knife, mini scissors and a hole punch. Using the case as a template, I traced the new gasket. It has zero leaks. Don't be scared to perform this procedure!

AWESOME! diy ftw.
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #2328
3xu
ROAM

Oddometer: 22
Ha Giang province, Viet Nam

Old 10-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #2329
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
My new dash for power outlets & maybe something else.

I made the dash from a piece of decking bar. It's fastened with 4 screws that are the same as the ones that hold the headlight fairing on. I might paint it black since the sun glares off of it at times blinding me. I only made it wide enough to sit in the flat part of the fairing but I could make another one & make it larger if I cut the angles right it will make room for a couple more things. There's room for 4 power outlets now.

Sequoia screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 09:02 AM
Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #2330
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Converted Southworth Hydraulic Lift to M.C. lift.

The lift wasn't long enough for my bike so I made this extension for the front or rear wheel. I also made it so that I can drop in my dollie that I made for large backbone phone cable so that I can rotate the wheels & lube the chain or check the spokes etc..

Old 10-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #2331
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
I made the dash from a piece of decking bar. It's fastened with 4 screws that are the same as the ones that hold the headlight fairing on. I might paint it black since the sun glares off of it at times blinding me. I only made it wide enough to sit in the flat part of the fairing but I could make another one & make it larger if I cut the angles right it will make room for a couple more things. There's room for 4 power outlets now.
Does the stator crank out enough juice on the Sherpa to power multiple appliances?

I've ran mine with hardwired GPS, electric jacket liner and gloves in the winter time... it does ok, but wouldn't sustain running all appliances for long period of time.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #2332
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Does the stator crank out enough juice on the Sherpa to power multiple appliances?

I've ran mine with hardwired GPS, electric jacket liner and gloves in the winter time... it does ok, but wouldn't sustain running all appliances for long period of time.
Well I was planning on eventually changing my lights to LEDs to help, but in the near future I will probably just be running a GPS & a heated jacket, maybe heated grips, or helmet liner if there is such a thing but I doubt it. There's not much else I really need other than GPS & a heated jacket, & I would only need the GPS on long rides not daily commutes back & forth to work.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:24 AM   #2333
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
Well I was planning on eventually changing my lights to LEDs to help, but in the near future I will probably just be running a GPS & a heated jacket, maybe heated grips, or helmet liner if there is such a thing but I doubt it. There's not much else I really need other than GPS & a heated jacket, & I would only need the GPS on long rides not daily commutes back & forth to work.
GPS will take barely any power, a couple of watts at most. The heated gear will be a pretty significant draw tho. The Super Sherpa alternator is rated for 210 watts, but that's at higher RPM. I'd put a voltmeter on the battery with the engine running and all your electrical stuff plugged in and turned on. Less than 13 volts at the battery with the engine revved into the "normal" range you run it at means that you'll have a dead battery pretty quickly.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #2334
Ripshod
Prym8

Oddometer: 110
I've been touring on and camping from my ST1300 for six years, and on an ST1100 before that. I picked up a Super Sherpa a couple of years ago and I've spent some time and money on racks and bags to get it ready to carry camping gear. This year, I decided to take it to the Barber Vintage Motorcycle Festival in Birmingham. This was my sixth year at the festival. It's a camping party. I am a maximalist camper because I'm old and I don't mind hauling all the gear it takes to be comfortable. In all, I estimate about 50 pounds worth. No, I haven't weighed it. really don't give a damn how much it weighs as long as the bike will haul it and me (170 lbs.) where I'm going.

The main issue I had was the seat. Not only did it hurt, but it was slick enough that my boys got slammed into the tank every time I hit the brake and I was constantly having to push back on it. I knew that I had to do something about tit and about the only option I've seen out there is Seat Concepts. I ordered a seat kit. It made all the difference. If you've been thinking about upgrading the seat, you should go with Seat Concepts. Bet value upgrade I've ever done on any bike.

As it turns out, the Super Sherpa handled it very well. That fifth gear works wonders. I have the stock gearing and 70 mph is really no big deal on level ground, though it really doesn't have much more to give after that while it's packed up like that. Even on the longest inclines it never fell back below 60 and gearing down was never a necessity. In years past I've done the trip on the slab in four hours or a little less. This year I took Highway 411 pretty much from my front door to the track. That added two hours to the trip. That wasn't the bike's fault. I maintained ten over the limit any time I felt like it and the extra two hours were worth it. It was a very enjoyable ride.

So I have a lot more respect for the Sherpa and its capabilities. While it won't replace the sport tourer, it's at least a very enjoyable stable mate and it's a lot more versatile.
1990 Honda VTR250 for scraping bar ends in the twists
2002 Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa for everything else
Ripshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #2335
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshod View Post
As it turns out, the Super Sherpa handled it very well. That fifth gear works wonders.
Did you mean 6th gear?
Old 10-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #2336
Ripshod
Prym8

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Did you mean 6th gear?
Yes, as a matter of fact I did. Thanks.
1990 Honda VTR250 for scraping bar ends in the twists
2002 Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa for everything else
Ripshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:35 AM   #2337
Turborob
Minimalist.

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo-56 View Post
Hi there all you Super Sherpa fans. Not sure if I've posted this in the right spot but here goes
My partner Trish has ridden her 2005 SS from Aussie to Venezuela so far 167,000km incredible run for a small engine, but it is getting tired. We hope to get to the States in about 6 months and thought it might be more cost effective to find a low km engine and do a transplant rather than try to rebuild.
Really I'm just looking for a bit of help to know where to look other than the obvious eBay. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.
Cheers Gibbo:
Wow, 167000!

You might be better off buying another low mileage bike, and swapping over your extras. Many other parts will be getting tired on the bike too (rubbers, bearings etc).

Can you provide us with a few pictures of the bike?

Thanks.
Turborob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #2338
jameswwright
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
new rider here with a 2003 sherpa as my first bike(just got it the other day and got the plate and insurance today). will definitely be reading through this thread extensively and probably posting questions as they come up. i'm interested to see how the starter behaves as that seems to be the big issue people have with these bikes. any recommended things i should check to make sure things are behaving correctly? is there an easy way to tell what kind of shape the battery is in?
jameswwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #2339
jameswwright
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
and here is a pic of my new beast:

jameswwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #2340
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswwright View Post
and here is a pic of my new beast:

Welcome to the forum, I'd like to see your windshield & how it's mounted. What kind is it ?