Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #2401
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Oddometer: 181
Well, even though one of the bikes in my stable is a KLR, I'm not cheap, BUT...

I went to the Bike Show in Seattle last weekend, and the CycleGear guy at the booth gave me a couple of 20.00 off cards, so on the way back home, my buddy and I stopped at CycleGear in Tacoma and I bought a pair of their Bilt Explorer h2O pants, and then went right back in and bought the coat. So both pants and coat on sale already, got 40.00 off the sale price. Not bad gear, either but it wasn't for me, it was for my buddy Ryan, and I was simply loaning him the money to get the stuff.

Anyway, they had aluminum handguards on sale for 29.00 or 24.99 of something silly cheap, and I got them and put them on... They're all good! they're drilled and tapped for putting on some sort of plastic shield, but they don't have one for them. I have some HDPE sheet left over from rally car fabrication days, and am going to cut and heat form some shields for these guards and bolt them on. For the price, I just couldn't pass them up! As soon as I get them done, I'll post some pics. The guards are made by Bike Master, I think...

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...rds/web1009960 Wrong, they're made by Trackside.
Rey & Vann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #2402
cmean17
Nomad

Oddometer: 9
New Sherpa, need advice

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 2002 Sherpa with about 6k miles. Im a student at VT and after graduation I'm planning on completing the TAT this summer with a few friends. The bike seems sounds but what are the most common issues I should expect? Also, I want to attach some saddle bags but im worried about the exhaust burning through them, any suggestions?
cmean17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #2403
EvilRoySlade
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
For cheap street-type tires, I really like the Kenda 761's. I think they're around $50 each, and they grip pretty darned well on hard-pack gravel too. Mount the front tire backwards from the directional arrows though, otherwise it wears out unevenly and cups.
My last 3 sets of K761's the front tire cups on my Sherpa and F650I will reverse the front on my next set. I'm shopping for K761 pair and the cheapest I can find is $130 free shipping for pair at Motorcycle superstore. Can you get them cheaper????
EvilRoySlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #2404
EvilRoySlade
Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
the factory service maual states:" replace air filter foam element after 5 cleanings" or something to that effect. Air filters don't last forever, but I get more than 5 service intervals out of them!

A new foam is not that expensive, and the more important factor will be your bike is tuned for the air flow that the stock factory element has. A homemade filter may cause carburation issues, too restrictive, or it may be an imperfect fit and allow dirt to enter.

Kawasaki part #11013-1265 foam filter element
A new air filter solved my 2000 Sherpa cold starting problem, probably had the original filter with 8,000 miles..
Old 12-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #2405
EvilRoySlade
Adventurer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-n-slow View Post
The Borrego is a nice product, it's just way bigger than what I want. Now I'm thinking of just drilling a few holes in the top fender and attaching a small pouch or large tool bag to it. It's a small bike so I'm trying to keep the farkles in perspective.
Thought you could see my setup it's not fancy just cheap and functional. .
http://evilroyslade.smugmug.com/Moto...6_155142-M.jpg
http://evilroyslade.smugmug.com/Moto...4_140304-M.jpg
http://evilroyslade.smugmug.com/Moto...4_140317-M.jpg
http://evilroyslade.smugmug.com/Moto...4_140454-M.jpg
Old 12-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #2406
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 570
Laugh

Had a rainy day so I Started to build a rear rack for the Sherpa . Got an Idea so I roughed in the rack this evening , I think Im going to build 2 this one being the larger one then a small trail rack . Im hoping to build it where I can switch it out with 2 bolts real quick .

Well heres what I did about a hour or so . ETA Its upside down , the turn lights are going to be mounted on the 1" angle

Hawk62cj5 screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 06:13 PM
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #2407
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoySlade View Post
My last 3 sets of K761's the front tire cups on my Sherpa and F650I will reverse the front on my next set. I'm shopping for K761 pair and the cheapest I can find is $130 free shipping for pair at Motorcycle superstore. Can you get them cheaper????
I think the last set I bought on sale last year, and paid about $50 each? So a little bit cheaper, but not too much. $130 is a decent price shipped for a pair.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #2408
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,205
I hope it's ok to post this here -

I'm looking for an old SS seat pan to put a Seat Concepts seat on. I know there's one on ebay, however they want almost $70 just for shipping! So if you have an old seat you'd be willing to sell for a reasonable price, please PM me!

Thx!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #2409
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmean17 View Post
Hey guys,

I just picked up a 2002 Sherpa with about 6k miles. Im a student at VT and after graduation I'm planning on completing the TAT this summer with a few friends. The bike seems sounds but what are the most common issues I should expect? Also, I want to attach some saddle bags but im worried about the exhaust burning through them, any suggestions?
look at the Sequoia racks from Turbo city.....They bolt to where the hand rail bolt holes attach-very sturdy vs the Happy Trails HT rack uses the very small 6mm bolt off the Turn signal support to hold the whole assembly = seems like a less than satisfactory way to do it after looking at the Sequoia rack

This is the HT rack. You can see the grab handle still in place, which you will remove when you go with the Sequoia rack. The HT rack, instead, is supported off the OEM turn signal mount. They could (should) have made it so it bolts to where the lift handle bolts to the frame.

It might be strong enough, but I swapped it out for the Turbo city rack.
-----------------------------------
other stuff = do the jetting upgrade( even just the low speed ) and drain the fork oil and refill to proper level. Out of the 5 Sherpa's we have, every one had a different amount of fork oil in each leg...(hardly any in one side)
-------------------------------------
You may want to install the bigger fuel tank, if you go back in this thread there are several different ways to do the installation. Here is a picture of the rubber mounts we made to set our bikes up....

tank installed, and another angle of the rack

Hektoglider screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 06:21 PM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #2410
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
look at the Sequoia racks from Turbo city.....They bolt to where the hand rail bolt holes attach-very sturdy vs the Happy Trails HT rack uses the very small 6mm bolt off the Turn signal support to hold the whole assembly = seems like a less than satisfactory way to do it after looking at the Sequoia rack

This is the HT rack. You can see the grab handle still in place, which you will remove when you go with the Sequoia rack. The HT rack, instead, is supported off the OEM turn signal mount. They could (should) have made it so it bolts to where the lift handle bolts to the frame.

It might be strong enough, but I swapped it out for the Turbo city rack.
-----------------------------------
other stuff = do the jetting upgrade( even just the low speed ) and drain the fork oil and refill to proper level. Out of the 5 Sherpa's we have, every one had a different amount of fork oil in each leg...(hardly any in one side)
-------------------------------------
You may want to install the bigger fuel tank, if you go back in this thread there are several different ways to do the installation. Here is a picture of the rubber mounts we made to set our bikes up....

tank installed, and another angle of the rack

Thanks For the pics and explanations of the different racks , I understood how the TCI racks worked but the HT looked to weak of a mounting point to be a retail rack so I just knew that there had to be more to it , I guess it isnt . The rack Im building is going to use a the handle mounting positions for the front support and Im removing the turn light brackets and building new brackets for the rear rack support .

I dont have a shop so Im hoping it will be a nice calm day so I can brake out the welder and put it all together ,wind with mig on gas = splatter ....... I really miss having a shop to work in . Right now I have to use the vice for drilling , metal bending in the basement , car port for welding and grinding , after I pull all my tools and welder up the hill out the tool shed For a project like this Ill have just as much time moving crap around as actually fabbing it up .

Oh what do you run for fork oil level and type in yalls sherpas
Old 12-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #2411
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,260
Seem to me, adding 15lb. of semi-perminent weight of metal racks to carry stuff, defeats the purpose to have a lightweight Sherpa as a dual purpose ride.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #2412
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Thanks For the pics and explanations of the different racks ,

Oh what do you run for fork oil level and type in yalls sherpas
300cc each leg Mobil Semi-synthetic ATF.

Make sure you check/set your valve clearance. The cam tensioner assembly can be a bit tricky to deal with, you will want the service manual for it. Look up shim calc on the web for easy figuring of your correct shim size. If the bike has a bit of miles on it, likely the clearance will be tight, especially exhaust side. 1st symptom will be hard starting.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #2413
EvilRoySlade
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Seem to me, adding 15lb. of semi-perminent weight of metal racks to carry stuff, defeats the purpose to have a lightweight Sherpa as a dual purpose ride.
Agree
Old 01-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #2414
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoySlade View Post
Agree

I run to the grocery store on mine weekly so the 15 pounds which is closer to 9 lbs with the rack Im building ( materials weight) will make the trip a bit safer for the people behind me and save the groceries from undo abuse its worth it .If the weight is so critical Ill go relieve myself before getting on to cut 5 pounds off the ride .
Old 01-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #2415
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,260
Non-off-road grocery runs under 20 lb. easily accomodated w/backpack; no need for extra dead weight on already underpowered Sherpa.