Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #2416
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Seem to me, adding 15lb. of semi-perminent weight of metal racks to carry stuff, defeats the purpose to have a lightweight Sherpa as a dual purpose ride.
I agree the weight increase is more than a set of soft bags thrown over the seat. Add a 46L Givi topbox and there is a lot of weight added before any "gear" is stowed. The 250cc bike will get great fuel mileage and will be light and easy to manuever up steps into hotel lobbies for the night as well as turning the bike around in tight areas.Much more so than a 650 or 1200.

As the larger fuel tank indicates, the bikes we have set up for longer expedition type riding, not a "run to the grocery store" ...I hope the subframe will handle the extra weight.

purpose of lightweight dualsport bike not defeated.......
Old 01-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #2417
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Non-off-road grocery runs under 20 lb. easily accomodated w/backpack; no need for extra dead weight on already underpowered Sherpa.

I dont like wearing a pack and the sherpa has plenty of power for how I ride . The rack is going to make it easy for me to go riding with some of my friends on ATV trails or down to the farm to cut fire wood and be able to pick up milk meat and bread coming home . Last time I rode it down to the farm I about lost my chain saw off the back going to help dad cut a couple of downed trees up for fire wood plus I didnt have room for a gas can so had to run ethanol laced fuel in my saw . This year I want to make some over night trips on it so the rack is also going to be handy for that and a hell of a lot cheaper than soft bags that Im only going to use a couple of few times a year . The sherpa handles weight fine ,Im not a small guy and I have carried a 40mm can with 1200 rounds of 308 ammo over an hour away to a friends house and I didnt notice much differance I just made sure I ran 25 psi in the trail wings . Plus Jdowns runs a rear rack and a large tank and his sherpa is doing fine on some pretty long trips down south .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #2418
scootertooter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Don't worry about the weight of the rack. Choose a size, strength, and shape appropriate for what you will carry. The secure and safe attachment of gear and personal items will more than make up for the weight increase.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #2419
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,777
Adding 10 or 15 lbs to the Sherpa still is less weight that a KLX250 and many 250cc dual-sports. Not for everyone maybe, but really not a big deal.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #2420
EvilRoySlade
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertooter View Post
Don't worry about the weight of the rack. Choose a size, strength, and shape appropriate for what you will carry. The secure and safe attachment of gear and personal items will more than make up for the weight increase.
I removed my racks and rear fender to get a lower center of gravity. Got a weight reduction around 10 lbs.

EvilRoySlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #2421
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoySlade View Post
I removed my racks and rear fender to get a lower center of gravity. Got a weight reduction around 10 lbs.

I flipped through your pics
Couple questions , how does the sherpa handle the wind load of that setup ? How many miles did you have on it before the drive sproket seal started to leak ?
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #2422
EvilRoySlade
Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
I flipped through your pics
Couple questions , how does the sherpa handle the wind load of that setup ? How many miles did you have on it before the drive sproket seal started to leak ?
Drive Sprocket failed all at once, seal was completely out of the case and the oil shot out getting on the rear brake and no rear braking got my attention (Luckily), it never leaked a drop but failed around 12 or 14,000 miles. I now have 17,000. The bike handles fine in crosswinds and mild headwinds but strong headwinds requires 5th gear at 50-65mph, in extreme headwinds (30-40mph) I'm down to 40-50mph. I'm not too proud to draft whatever's in front of me :) Worst MPG was 50 and best was 65mpg in the rockies. Interstate speeds 65-75mph with no wind, tailwinds it's 70-80mph. I have a 15t and standard rear sprocket.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:36 AM   #2423
Rx4Pain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Super Sherpa Rack

For the guys talking rear racks, I used the rack made by kristen's hubby on my TAT ride last year. it worked perfectly, never loosened, and was really the perfect size. (though initially I wanted it smaller...after the trip...I reconsidered)

I cant remember the weight difference, but it replaces the grab handles and if you take off the rear footpegs, it is almost a wash re weight. I posted up on this somewhere in this long thread, and commented on it when I reviewed my gear for the TAT ride I completed.

In addition, I had it "Line-X'd" and after seeing alot of racks/posts etc, i doubt you will find a better rack for the Sherpa.

Just my .02 cents.

Ken
Rx4Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #2424
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoySlade
How did you attach straps to the Nashbar bike panniers?

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #2425
EvilRoySlade
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
How did you attach straps to the Nashbar bike panniers?
Each bag has two 1 inch wide half moon rings in addition to the normal mounting points. I thread two 1 inch cargo straps through the half moon rings. The 1 inch straps are tie down straps used to ship BMW bikes. I could have beefed up the
rings but decided to try the stock setup so far 6,000 miles no problems. The whole setup was done in a hurry and cost nothing since I had the panniers from my bicycle. The panniers are small size.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:56 AM   #2426
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Quote:
Each bag has two 1 inch wide half moon rings in addition to the normal mounting points. I thread two 1 inch cargo straps through the half moon rings. The 1 inch straps are tie down straps used to ship BMW bikes. I could have beefed up the
rings but decided to try the stock setup so far 6,000 miles no problems. The whole setup was done in a hurry and cost nothing since I had the panniers from my bicycle. The panniers are small size.

Ha! If I had looked at my Nashbar panniers, I would have figured it out. I take it you don't carry very much weight on the panniers. Otherwise, I'm thinking the D ring bracket would start to release it's grip on the D ring itself.

I was going to drill out those rivets and either 1) fab a bracket to hang on a side rack or 2) flip the D ring brackets around so they're oriented "properly" (as it were).

Based on the weight you're putting in them, I'll probably go with option #2.

Thanks.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #2427
EvilRoySlade
Adventurer

Quote:
Ha! If I had looked at my Nashbar panniers, I would have figured it out. I take it you don't carry very much weight on the panniers. Otherwise, I'm thinking the D ring bracket would start to release it's grip on the D ring itself.

I was going to drill out those rivets and either 1) fab a bracket to hang on a side rack or 2) flip the D ring brackets around so they're oriented "properly" (as it were).

Based on the weight you're putting in them, I'll probably go with option #2.

Thanks.
Left pannier has dehyd food jet boil snacks front innertube and repair manual , Right pannier has underwear shaving kit meds rear innertube and good book. Tools are in the tool tube.
Good luck
Old 01-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #2428
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Quote:
Left pannier has dehyd food jet boil snacks front innertube and repair manual , Right pannier has underwear shaving kit meds rear innertube and good book. Tools are in the tool tube.
Good luck
Lightweight stuff as I suspected. I am messing around with my bags/racks to see how well they'll work for me (better than I suspected). Do you use the elastic strap that came with the bags? Since you're not using racks, I would guess not.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #2429
EvilRoySlade
Adventurer

Quote:
Lightweight stuff as I suspected. I am messing around with my bags/racks to see how well they'll work for me (better than I suspected). Do you use the elastic strap that came with the bags? Since you're not using racks, I would guess not.

The elastic straps stay on for my touring bicycle only. I try to minimize, it's easier to do here in USA. I also use two smaller nashbar bags strapped over my tank for frequently used stuff. My heaviest tools etc fit in my tool tube

Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #2430
Bronco638
Nobody Home

So, the tool tube, like the muffler, is used to "space" the bags away from the rear wheel?

Also, do you find the fiber board, used to provide structure to the panniers, to be durable? I would think that stuff may suffer under wet conditions.