Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #2476
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 573
Whats the easiest way to change the fork oil ? I picked up a set or 1136 progressive springs and Im going to drop them in and figured while I was half way there go ahead and drain the oil and refill them with 10oz/300ml of 10 wt fork oil to make sure they are correct . I have read that some sherpas fork oil levels are off from the factory so I figured if I drained and refilled to spec I know they are right . I bought the sherpa new and only have around 1500 miles on it so Im pretty sure that all the seals and stuff are ok .
Hawk62cj5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #2477
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,719
pull em off turn em upside down pump a few times & let them drain for a beer or so.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #2478
Rx4Pain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Whats the easiest way to change the fork oil ? I picked up a set or 1136 progressive springs and Im going to drop them in and figured while I was half way there go ahead and drain the oil and refill them with 10oz/300ml of 10 wt fork oil to make sure they are correct . I have read that some sherpas fork oil levels are off from the factory so I figured if I drained and refilled to spec I know they are right . I bought the sherpa new and only have around 1500 miles on it so Im pretty sure that all the seals and stuff are ok .

Let me know how you feel about the springs once they are in/you have tried them out. I installed a set and found that the at rest ride height was lower than the stock springs!? I also saw that many folks put a 1 inche spacer in, but in my estimate, this would almost completely compress the more tightly (lower spring rate portion of the spring) wound springs to a point that they were essentially always compressed...meaning that they had no travel once the spacer was put in and the fork caps tightened down.

The whole thing had me shaking my head. So I would like to see what you think in the end.

Ken
Rx4Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:51 AM   #2479
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx4Pain View Post
Let me know how you feel about the springs once they are in/you have tried them out. I installed a set and found that the at rest ride height was lower than the stock springs!? I also saw that many folks put a 1 inche spacer in, but in my estimate, this would almost completely compress the more tightly (lower spring rate portion of the spring) wound springs to a point that they were essentially always compressed...meaning that they had no travel once the spacer was put in and the fork caps tightened down.

The whole thing had me shaking my head. So I would like to see what you think in the end.

Ken
Not really , you are setting preload and just loosing a inch of travel or what ever your spacer thickness is just like the when you adjust the rear spring . Since its a progressive spring starting softer getting stiffer you are just loading the softest part of the spring and since it gets stiffer its going to be harder to push the spring to the compressed limit anyway do to the ever increasing rate .But Ill review them in this thread when I get them in but if my fluid is off from the factory and I correct it it is not going to be a honest review due to improved dampening .

No experience with bikes but my dad and two uncles have built and raced cars since 1968 so have been playing with race cars since I was a toddler and I mess with jeeps and off road buggies now so I have played with suspensions a little .
Old 02-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #2480
Rx4Pain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Well, let me know if its different for you but i measured the distance the spring would be compressed when the spacer is installed and then when i had the spring out i compressed it that 1 inch distance and observed the "softer" more closely spaced spring area simply compressed to a point where there was no gap between the coils. In reality, the spring lost virtually all of its ability to compress in that portion of the spring...which led me to believe there would be zero "progressive" action as this was now a "coil to coil" solid and uncompressable 6 inches of spring.

I hope i explained it in a way you can visualize, but I dont think there is more than 1 inch or so of compression available in the uppermost 6 inches (softest" part of these springs. So, I will pick your brain after the install.

I have thought about trying the springs without a spacer/preload, as it would provide the "progressive" action it was designed for, but the front end sags/is more soft than with the stockers.

Ken
Rx4Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #2481
zontar
lawnhater

Oddometer: 274
low beam out

strangely enough, in 30 years I'm never had a headlight out on a moto. I'm assuming I can replace the bulb with something from NAPA, or not? part #? any tips on R&R or is this an easy one? thanks a ton in advance!

Listen: We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.
----Kurt Vonnegut "Timequake"
zontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #2482
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by zontar View Post
strangely enough, in 30 years I'm never had a headlight out on a moto. I'm assuming I can replace the bulb with something from NAPA, or not? part #? any tips on R&R or is this an easy one? thanks a ton in advance!
Standard H4 or 9003 bulb. Easiest way to replace it is to take off the plastic fairing piece around the headlight, and then unscrew the headlight assembly from the frame. After that, just like changing a headlight bulb in your car.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #2483
zontar
lawnhater

Oddometer: 274
thanks for the speedy answer. made it too easy for me.

Listen: We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.
----Kurt Vonnegut "Timequake"
zontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #2484
ifixfords
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Wanted to let everyone know I have my 09 Sherpa for sale in the flea market. I will miss it but someone should be riding it. Such a great well built machine.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861845

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

2014 BMW F800GSA
2008 KTM200XC-W
2009 Beta EVO 250
ifixfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:00 AM   #2485
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixfords View Post
Wanted to let everyone know I have my 09 Sherpa for sale in the flea market.
Are you anywhere near Melbourne?

(Which Melbourne? Quebec? Yorkshire? Arkansas? Kentucky? Australia?...)
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #2486
SkiFly01
Govna Racepipe

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
Are you anywhere near Melbourne?

(Which Melbourne? Quebec? Yorkshire? Arkansas? Kentucky? Australia?...)
ad says Raleigh, North Carolina.
SkiFly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #2487
beerguy
adrenaline junky

Oddometer: 30
could have been me.

Quote:
Spotted a super sherpa at a shop near powhtan Va the other day. The guy at the shop said a " experienced" rider had just bought it and he was checking it over for him. So is or was it any ones here?
was Rex at Cycle Connection the person you were talking to?
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #2488
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerguy View Post
was Rex at Cycle Connection the person you were talking to?

That sounds right . Nice fellow to chat with for a bit .
Old 02-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #2489
beerguy
adrenaline junky

Oddometer: 30
define "experienced"

Quote:
Spotted a super sherpa at a shop near powhtan Va the other day. The guy at the shop said a " experienced" rider had just bought it and he was checking it over for him. So is or was it any ones here?
Rex was referring to my years riding streets. bought the Sherpa to ride off road with my grandson. knew little about it when purchased, but through this thread and several rr's, i realize what a good decision it was. it is an '01 that had only 1500 miles on it. planning to spend a week this summer on the TAT or TET with a riding buddy.
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #2490
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerguy View Post
Rex was referring to my years riding streets. bought the Sherpa to ride off road with my grandson. knew little about it when purchased, but through this thread and several rr's, i realize what a good decision it was. it is an '01 that had only 1500 miles on it. planning to spend a week this summer on the TAT or TET with a riding buddy.

experienced as in older