Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #2536
SHERPA-OR1
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
What size K60's did you buy for the bike? I loved them on my KLR, and was thinking about putting them on my wife's Sherpa sometime down the road.
I am putting a 90/90-21 and a 100/80-18 on it, I believe that is as close as one can get as you know it's hard to find a correct size tire for the rear if you want something good and not cheap.
SHERPA-OR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #2537
SHERPA-OR1
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Correction on tire size

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERPA-OR1 View Post
I am putting a 90/90-21 and a 100/80-18 on it, I believe that is as close as one can get as you know it's hard to find a correct size tire for the rear if you want something good and not cheap.

I stated the wrong size tire previosly I am mounting a Heidenau K60 110/80-18 rear tire.
SHERPA-OR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #2538
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERPA-OR1 View Post
I stated the wrong size tire previosly I am mounting a Heidenau K60 110/80-18 rear tire.
thank you for the information.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #2539
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post

Really gang, on a little 250 dual sport, what else do you need ???

HAHAHA!

That is true! For a short ride, but sometimes you need a little more - for a long ride!

And sometimes even more!!!

Rey & Vann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #2540
Ripshod
Prym8

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey & Vann View Post
HAHAHA!

That is true! For a short ride, but sometimes you need a little more - for a long ride!

And sometimes even more!!!

Well yeah, sometimes you need to take your home for a few days along with you. The Sherpa does that well too!

1990 Honda VTR250 for scraping bar ends in the twists
2002 Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa for everything else
Ripshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #2541
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshod View Post
Well yeah, sometimes you need to take your home for a few days along with you. The Sherpa does that well too!

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!!

I replaced the fork springs on my Sherpa with Progressive 11-1136 (I think those were the ones, need to check), no spacers and Maxima 15 wt fork oil, and the results have been phenomenal! (I'm about 210, lighter people= 10 wt...)

Total cost was less than $90.00 for parts. If any of you are near Olympia, WA, and want to do this mod but hesitate, let me know. I have a lift in my little garage, and am tooled up pretty well to do just about any work on these bikes, as well as a few others. Also have the huge shim set for 7.48mm (I think thats the diameter (without looking)) and also 29mm, for valve adjustments. Also do tire mounts and balancing, and let me tell you, even though these are small bikes, balancing the wheels make a HUGE difference! Also have the tools and stainless steel staples to do Seat Concepts swaps, which also transforms the Sherpa for a very reasonable cost.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #2542
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
My Sherpa

I just finished a ride from Wa state down thru MX into Central america and back, I set mine up with a Happy trails top plate and racks with Givi monokeys and a walmart top box, tires were Conti TKC 80's. The pic is in Guatamala at Lake Atitlan. Total milage for the trip was a tad over 10.000
CaptUglyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #2543
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Sherpa on the beach

This is on the beach camping waiting for the ferry for 2 days, Man it was rough!!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #2544
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptUglyDan View Post
This is on the beach camping waiting for the ferry for 2 days, Man it was rough!!
I'd like to see more of those trip pics, you must be retired to take that kind of trip.
Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #2545
ssmschulz
Sherpa Rider

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey & Vann View Post
I replaced the fork springs on my Sherpa with Progressive 11-1136 (I think those were the ones, need to check), no spacers and Maxima 15 wt fork oil, and the results have been phenomenal! (I'm about 210, lighter people= 10 wt...)
I had the same done to mine. I am 210 and didn't feel that much difference, but I had it done and I think they used 10 wt with no spacer. How much oil did you use in each fork? I am going to change mine and will upgrade to 15wt.
ssmschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #2546
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmschulz View Post
I had the same done to mine. I am 210 and didn't feel that much difference, but I had it done and I think they used 10 wt with no spacer. How much oil did you use in each fork? I am going to change mine and will upgrade to 15wt.
I used the factory manual spec when I refilled, which isn't volume based, but based on a measurement from top of inside tube to fluid. I don't remember what the number is, I'm still in bed and the manual is in the shop, but I have to go to Tacoma this morning and pick up fork oil to do a fork service on a KLR650 later today. I'll look up the specs then and post here again, if someone doesn't beat me to it. Measurement is easy, but best done with fork off bike.

The forks are really simple. The damper tube has a few holes in it and the fluid is forced through those holes when the forks compress. Since there's no manner of controlling the flow of the fluid through the holes, increasing or decreasing viscosity is the solution.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #2547
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

More pics PLEASE!!!!!

Quote:
Any ride report out there Cap? Would love to see more pics and read about route, experiences, etc.

I'm all !!!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #2548
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Quote:
I just finished a ride from Wa state down thru MX into Central america and back, I set mine up with a Happy trails top plate and racks with Givi monokeys and a walmart top box, tires were Conti TKC 80's. The pic is in Guatamala at Lake Atitlan. Total milage for the trip was a tad over 10.000
Hey! I just noticed you're from Port Orchard! Right up the road a piece from me!

Well, if you have the opportunity to get together sometime over coffee or lunch for some story telling, let me know. I'm right down in Elma, between Olympia and Aberdeen.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #2549
wanderlost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
South Sound Sherpas

Here's another Sherpa owner in the South Puget Sound. Just put a new battery in my 2001 and will be doing an oil change and it should be ready to go.

Maybe we should get together for a ride and some coffee sometime.

I mostly ride my 2011 Triumph Tiger for road trips but am really enjoying the light weight and easy going nature of the Sherpa. Would love to do some local rides and maybe even a couple sections of WABDR sometime with fellow Sherpa fans.

You can contact me with a PM if interested.

Paul
wanderlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #2550
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

COCO's Corner Baja

That would be cool to have 3 sherpas ride the WBCDR, Here's my Sherpa getting steekered by the infamous COCO himself.