Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #2551
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Installing forks and front tire tomorrow on my wife's bike. Do you snug the pinch plate and torque the axle, or torque the pinch plate and then torque the axle? Also, do you center the gap on the pinch plate, or bias it to the top or bottom?

Thanks. Been out of town for a while and she wants her bike back in running condition!
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #2552
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptUglyDan View Post
That would be cool to have 3 sherpas ride the WBCDR, Here's my Sherpa getting steekered by the infamous COCO himself.

Im glad Im not the only guy on a sherpa that weighs a bit more than the 150 lbs rider its set up for .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #2553
NCJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk62cj5 View Post
im glad im not the only guy on a sherpa that weighs a bit more than the 150 lbs rider its set up for .
+1
Old 03-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #2554
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Not me

Thats Coco, He runs one of the checkpoints for the Baja 1000, and is a fixture in the Baja community. This is me

CaptUglyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #2555
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptUglyDan View Post
Thats Coco, He runs one of the checkpoints for the Baja 1000, and is a fixture in the Baja community. This is me

Like I said Im glad not the only one

BTW Im 240 pounds ..... my poor poor sherpa .
Old 03-18-2013, 12:52 AM   #2556
Rx4Pain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlost View Post
Here's another Sherpa owner in the South Puget Sound. Just put a new battery in my 2001 and will be doing an oil change and it should be ready to go.

Maybe we should get together for a ride and some coffee sometime.

I mostly ride my 2011 Triumph Tiger for road trips but am really enjoying the light weight and easy going nature of the Sherpa. Would love to do some local rides and maybe even a couple sections of WABDR sometime with fellow Sherpa fans.

You can contact me with a PM if interested.

Paul
Me and a couple of friends are going to try to do the WABDR first week of September this year. (Oregon Border to Canada Border// 5 days/one extra day in reserve should we need it) I will keep the local Sherpa folks here abreast of the plans.

Rey and Van...I threw the Progressives into my Sherpa and saw lower resting ride height, and whn I spacere'd it, noticed it took up all the compression space between the smaller spaced coils. (thus giving me no "progression" at that point?!)

Do you think the springs worked better, or was it the higher viscosity oil? I have the progressives sitting in a box now, as I was not happy with the resting height and the loss of the softer part of the springs compression ability. And I spacered it per Progressives specs?

Wonder if I should just try some higher viscosity fork oil? hmmm.

Ken

Rx4Pain screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 01:02 AM
Rx4Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #2557
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx4Pain View Post
Me and a couple of friends are going to try to do the WABDR first week of September this year. (Oregon Border to Canada Border// 5 days/one extra day in reserve should we need it) I will keep the local Sherpa folks here abreast of the plans.

Rey and Van...I threw the Progressives into my Sherpa and saw lower resting ride height, and whn I spacere'd it, noticed it took up all the compression space between the smaller spaced coils. (thus giving me no "progression" at that point?!)

Do you think the springs worked better, or was it the higher viscosity oil? I have the progressives sitting in a box now, as I was not happy with the resting height and the loss of the softer part of the springs compression ability. And I spacered it per Progressives specs?

Ken

Thats what Im curious about also I have the springs and some 10wt belray oil on the shelf so I ordered some 20 wt oil and a fork oil measuring tool . I figure Id swap the springs and check the levels , Ive heard alot of sherpas from the factory were inconsistent on there levels . Im going to make sure there is 300ml in each one and try it , if they still feel spongy Im going to extract 150 ml out of each and add 150 ml of 20 wt to each and see how it does .
Old 03-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #2558
SkiFly01
Govna Racepipe

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
Installing forks and front tire tomorrow on my wife's bike. Do you snug the pinch plate and torque the axle, or torque the pinch plate and then torque the axle? Also, do you center the gap on the pinch plate, or bias it to the top or bottom?

Thanks. Been out of town for a while and she wants her bike back in running condition!

Here is a good explanation on how to do the front axle, http://youtu.be/n6roPN4QoAs?t=10m31s
SkiFly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #2559
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx4Pain View Post

Ken
Ken,

First of all, I completely enjoyed your TAT story. Excellent! Thanks for sharing it.

The springs aren't actually for the Sherpa, so the instructions that come with the springs don't really apply. I'm about 210, geared up, maybe 230. Sometimes I carry 60 to 80 lbs of extra stuff, majority of which is water, food and fuel.

Since the springs are designed for the XR200R, and KLR250, I decided to put the springs in and not use any spacers, and switch to Maxima 15wt. When I capped the fork tubes, I had to compress the springs just about 1/2 inch, so with forks out of the bike and and at full extension, I only preloaded a tiny bit. For me, the change was dramatic, and I think it was a combination of both, springs and oil...

I didn't take sag measurements before or after, but for all intents, it sits the same as before, and it feels the same when I sit on the bike. Currently I have a KLR on the lift, then a Suzuki goes on, then I got nothing, so I'll bring the Sherpa in and take some measurement and post.

In any case, it's easy enough to change the oil. Try 15 wt and no spacer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Thats what Im curious about also I have the springs and some 10wt belray oil on the shelf so I ordered some 20 wt oil and a fork oil measuring tool . I figure Id swap the springs and check the levels , Ive heard alot of sherpas from the factory were inconsistent on there levels . Im going to make sure there is 300ml in each one and try it , if they still feel spongy Im going to extract 150 ml out of each and add 150 ml of 20 wt to each and see how it does .
You might be better dropping out the forks and simply change out the fluid. I don't remember the exact mileage, something like 1400 - 1600 miles, but when I did the swap, I was surprised at how dirty the oil was and how much sludgy, metallic brass flecks and dark gray to black muck there was in the forks. Also, after reading the procedure for checking the fluid level, I decided the best way to do it would be the fully compressed, without fork spring method. I may have mentioned earlier fully extended with spring, but different bike.

Anyway, procedure and specs for off bike is 147 +- 2 km from the top of the inner tube to the fluid surface with fork completely upright.

On bike, same measurement, jack front end up till wheel of ground,loosen top tree pinch bolts, take cap off, pull spring out, block front wheel so forks are compressed all the way, by bike angle same as riding stance and measure. Make sure to measure at center of tube. Extend forks all the way prior to installing new springs or re-installing old ones.

I think suspension is one of those subjective things. What feels right to one person may feel downright scary to another. Experiment with both spacers (preload) and oil. Both are easy to do and relatively inexpensive.

One last note regarding oil volumes, wet fluid change starting volume is 300 ml. Since I cleaned out my forks with kerosene, let them sit overnight upside down, and rinsed them out with the old fluid (yes, the old... poured off clear oil after muck settled out), I used the wet volume measurement of 300 ml. One fork was 8mm high, the other 7mm low. I think the volume measurement is a baseline, the distance measurement is what gets it right, and I think it makes a difference since the variance in only +-2mm... I use a Motion Pro fork oil measuring tube and syringe...

Hope this helps, and again, if you're local or riding through, let me know!
Rey & Vann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #2560
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post

Insert the axle and be careful with speedo sensor. Lot of folks break the sensor from improper alignment. Install the axle clamp, arrow pointing up, don't tighten yet. Torque axle nut to 65 ft-lb. Again, as you do this, insure that the speedo sensor is properly aligned. Torque top clamp bolts to 82 in-lb, then bottom to same. Also remember to pump your front brake prior to test ride!

Hope that helps.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #2561
TexBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Picked up another '01 Sherpa yesterday afternoon. This one has been sitting for two years and isn't running. Tank is rusty and the carb is gummed up so bad the throttle will barely twist. Battery is long dead. The chain is a greasy mess. I used a set of jumper cables to give it some juice and the odometer reads 421 miles. Price was $800 plus a 180 mile round-trip to load it up and bring it home.

The crappy aftermarket windscreen has been tossed in the dumpster. It was dreadful. I've got the tank stripped and will clean it up tonight. I pulled the carb last night and cleaned it out. Everything is moving freely now. New battery and chain should be here by the end of the week. Hopefully, I can get it running by the weekend.

Looks pretty from a distance!

It will be nice to have a matching pair of '01 Sherpas in the garage so my wife and I can ride together down some of the local forest roads that are a bit too "technical" for my big GS.

-Mark Twain
TexBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #2562
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBiker View Post
Picked up another '01 Sherpa yesterday afternoon. This one has been sitting for two years and isn't running. Tank is rusty and the carb is gummed up so bad the throttle will barely twist. Battery is long dead. The chain is a greasy mess. I used a set of jumper cables to give it some juice and the odometer reads 421 miles. Price was $800 plus a 180 mile round-trip to load it up and bring it home.

The crappy aftermarket windscreen has been tossed in the dumpster. It was dreadful. I've got the tank stripped and will clean it up tonight. I pulled the carb last night and cleaned it out. Everything is moving freely now. New battery and chain should be here by the end of the week. Hopefully, I can get it running by the weekend.

Looks pretty from a distance!

It will be nice to have a matching pair of '01 Sherpas in the garage so my wife and I can ride together down some of the local forest roads that are a bit too "technical" for my big GS.
Holy crap! Even in its current state, that's on heck of a good buy! Congratulations

Keep us posted on the progress.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #2563
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Nice score Tex .

Thanks for the nice detailed write/reponse up rey+van
Old 03-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #2564
SHERPA-OR1
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Adventure bike

Sherpa as a Adventure bike ? If you can only afford one bike, Why not. People like JDOWNS driving his to South America have proven this little bike will go where you want it to and back, It can be more than just your weekend short trip bike. Daily driver, Short weekend runs or Long touring trip bike your imagination is the only thing that limits what you do with something. Little things can produce Large results.
SHERPA-OR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #2565
SHERPA-OR1
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Like I said Im glad not the only one

BTW Im 240 pounds ..... my poor poor sherpa .
"When we were young we all fit the weight range at some point, But you have to remember when you look in the mirror that was a long time ago."
SHERPA-OR1 is offline   Reply With Quote