Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #2596
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey & Vann View Post
Hawk,

You should pump the forks after you put the oil in, then start measuring. Most of the time, 3 or 4 pumps will do, but I always do more, 10 or 12.

You could go through the measuring process again, with forks on bike. Just support bike with front wheel slightly off the ground, pull caps (make sure to loosen top clamps!), pull springs and set aside to drip-dry. I jack front wheel up with a low profile scissor jack (from a junk yard) till wheel is up high enough to bottom forks and re measure with the fork oil level tool, making sure straw tune is in the center of the tube. Set your level and put it all back together.

If you have the syringe tool, you could draw an equal volume of oil from both tubes and add more 20wt as well.

The beauty of the syringe tool is that you can make fluid mix adjustments consistently, such as withdrawing 60ml and adding back 60 of heavier weight oil.

It may not feel like a big difference to you after your initial change, but you did good by it anyway simply by cleaning out your forks. Sounded like the one was pretty nasty!

Rx4Pain, did you ever re-try your springs?

Best regards,

*Edit* BTW, it really wasn't hard to do, was it. Next time, you could probably do it in 2/3rd of the time!
Thanks I think Ill recheck them by this weekend and Ill post the results . You are right , it is nothing to drop the forks out and after the first time I should be about to drop them and reinstall them in no time . You are also right that I dont have to drop them to check them this time .

RX do it but have some heavier oil on hand .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #2597
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Trailering a bike is like hiring a prostitute just to jerk off in front of her .
This is probably may favorite quote on ADVrider, but my bride hates it!
Rey & Vann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #2598
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey & Vann View Post
This is probably may favorite quote on ADVrider, but my bride hates it!

I cant take full credit for it ,A friend of mine said something very similar years ago . He is an old school harley guy and made it one day when we were in front of his shop watching all the bikes go buy on trailers for mytle beach bike week because of a wreck on I 95

Hopfully Im not offending to many ladies on here , which I doubt we have alot of prostitutes as inmates here anyway and if there are you can always pay them enough not to be ...

Back to Sherpas .....
testing springs in red clay , it got alot muddier on after the pic and I drove some deer paths on the way out to add a nice fresh pine smell to it .

Hawk62cj5 screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 10:00 PM
Old 04-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #2599
haileypooch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Cry Sherpa display in metric

Hello All

Just bought an 09 super sherpa for my wife and am importing into Canada this week. Running in to a glitch in that the speedo now needs to be in metric as of April 1, Anyone have any suggestions short of buying new display from dealer for $400 (confirmed)? Aparently you cant change or reprogram the digital display

Anyone know of a wrecked sherpa with metric display out there...I guess I shoulda done a bit more homework before buying this one. Help is appreciated.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #2600
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by haileypooch View Post
Hello All

Just bought an 09 super sherpa for my wife and am importing into Canada this week. Running in to a glitch in that the speedo now needs to be in metric as of April 1, Anyone have any suggestions short of buying new display from dealer for $400 (confirmed)? Aparently you cant change or reprogram the digital display

Anyone know of a wrecked sherpa with metric display out there...I guess I shoulda done a bit more homework before buying this one. Help is appreciated.

Not sure minus making a conversion chart for the dash like we do when else where . From what Ive read its no way to change it .But if it was me and the other option was buying a new one I would take it apart and see if theres a jumper that can be changed.

Funny to think someone from up north buying a sherpa down here since yall had a longer sale run of them from what I understand.

Hawk62cj5 screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 12:55 PM
Old 04-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #2601
jcmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
I'm considering downsizing to a Sherpa (or possibly KLX250/XT225) for a long term minimalist touring adventure I'm planning down the road. The thing is- I've never ridden one! I'd like to ride one to help narrow down my options, you know??

Any Sherpa owners in the midwest (I'm in S. WI) willing to swap bikes for an hour or two? You can hop on my VFR and we can go putt around wherever. It will probably feel like the star ship enterprise to you

Ill even throw in a free lunch to sweeten the deal

99 VFR - The right tool for the job (RIP)
jcmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #2602
get_me_outta_here
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
my 07, don't think i can fit any more farkles on it...

get_me_outta_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #2603
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by get_me_outta_here View Post

Tell us about the side racks and what kind of bags you use on them please.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #2604
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Tried an experiment last week , Tried a cold start 45* F weather with 10% Ethanol 87 oct one morning then Ethanol free 87 oct the next morning . Noticeable cold running improvement , both times I let run for 30 seconds at full choke and took off . The Non Ethanol fuel stumbled a little , the 10% it choked off twice . Not super scientific but it did confirm what I thought , cooler weather it worth the extra time and coin to fill with non ethanol fuel in the colder months anyway .
Old 04-09-2013, 05:25 AM   #2605
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by get_me_outta_here View Post
What brand engine bars are those, please?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #2606
Old Prairie Dawg
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Question

The Ausie version of the Sherpa has some neat racks and farkles that I wish we could obtain, but I guess they are not available here in the US

/Users/tedharrington/Desktop/2012-kawasaki-stockman.jpg
Old Prairie Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:44 AM   #2607
get_me_outta_here
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
Tell us about the side racks and what kind of bags you use on them please.
Hi, those are happy trail racks from the US. They keep soft panniers off the exhaust, plus offer a bit of protection should I drop it I hope.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:47 AM   #2608
get_me_outta_here
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
What brand engine bars are those, please?
Hi, those engine bars are off the stockman - which is the farm version of the sherpa in Australia. Can't get sherpas new anymore here, but they still sell stockmans, so should keep the new parts available for awhile!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #2609
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

The engine bars look like 1/2 inch tubing (13mm) , are they? If they are it would be fairly easy to fab up a hoop and make some mounting tabs on it .
Old 04-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #2610
get_me_outta_here
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
The engine bars look like 1/2 inch tubing (13mm) , are they? If they are it would be fairly easy to fab up a hoop and make some mounting tabs on it .
yeah if you've got the skills and the inclination, you could make even better engine protection. with the stockman engine bars, you also need a couple of engine mounts and bolts from the stockman. plus when it's time for an oil change you have to remove the bars to get the bash plate off, all easy, but slightly annoying.