Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #2611
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Yeah I tend to forget most people dont like playing with metal for fun .

Another topic are there any tires that do better on Gravel/ dirt roads , I ride a good bit of state gravel maintained roads on my sherpa which I enjoy but some times can get the old blood flowing . Ive heard several comments made about the trail wings on gravel were not Ideal. I was planing on running the kenda 270s next but figured Id get yalls input before I purchased . Right now Im running 60% asphalt 35% gravel and 5% true offroad .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:46 AM   #2612
Ripshod
Prym8

Oddometer: 110
Tires

I run Mefo Explorers. They are expensive but they last a long time. Excellent road grip - makes the Sherpa feel downright sporty, very fun to lean way over at speed and feel very confident about the grip. They haven't let me down offroad, either.
1990 Honda VTR250 for scraping bar ends in the twists
2002 Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa for everything else
Ripshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:14 AM   #2613
GMOH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
i mainly ride on the gravel and dirt roads around here - the trailwings really aren't too bad, you do have to make sure you don't over inflate them - does make them twitchy. i only run about 22 front and 26 rear. still enough if i have to go on the tar. but yeah they aren't too good on wet roads, and hopeless in mud. not sure what i'll buy next either.
GMOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #2614
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,551
Keep in mind tree are I think 4 different versions of trail wings. The ones e I think came stock are the 301/302 which are the ones everyone calls deathwings. The edo4 I think that came on my wife's Sherpa are pretty good tires actually.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #2615
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,803
I'm on my second set of Shinko 705's and they have been pretty good for as cheap a tire as they are. Under $100 for the pair sized 90/90/21 front
and 120/80/18 rear. Nice compromise for all around use.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #2616
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,886
Wifey likes the Michelin T-63s we put on her Sherpa last season.

I just mounted a T-63 on the rear of my WRR, but for some reason I don't like the look of the T-63 front, so I went with a MT-21 front on the WRR.
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #2617
Bravo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
I've run Shinko 705's and Kenda 270's on my Sherpa. I put the Shinkos on just before a 1,500 mile, all-asphalt trip and was really glad I did. Great road tire for our bikes. The Sherpa's long-distance tarmac trips are over, so I went back to a pair of Kenda 270's for more dirt and off-road riding. I love the Kenda tires for that purpose.

By the way, if anyone in the Eastern Washington area is looking for a pair of lightly used Shinko 705 tires, I'll make you a deal on a pair.

DC
Old 04-16-2013, 02:00 AM   #2618
Turborob
Minimalist.

Oddometer: 609
I like Sherpas, I think:

Got a seat concepts seat on order - interested to see if it sorts my Sherpa induced sore back.

Oh, and might buy another soon too.

The best rider is the one who enjoys it most.
Turborob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #2619
jameswwright
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hey Guys,

I'm wondering what I need to get to get panniers set up on my Sherpa for the summer. My bike came with this rack installed: http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Bran...ear%20Rack.htm

I'd love to rig something up using that. Even if I could just get my cycling panniers working, that would be great.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #2620
mnfrank
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Panniers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswwright View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm wondering what I need to get to get panniers set up on my Sherpa for the summer. My bike came with this rack installed: http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Bran...ear%20Rack.htm

I'd love to rig something up using that. Even if I could just get my cycling panniers working, that would be great.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Cheers,
Jim

I haven't done any thing with the tail end of my '09, but I did get a set of Aerostich side of the gas tank panniers. I really like them. The regular
size may be too big if you have long legs. They will carry 12 cans of beer on one side and a box of 500 business size envelopes on the other. Don't
ask about the party that followed that trip home. -- frank
mnfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #2621
zontar
lawnhater

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnfrank View Post
I haven't done any thing with the tail end of my '09, but I did get a set of Aerostich side of the gas tank panniers. I really like them. The regular
size may be too big if you have long legs. They will carry 12 cans of beer on one side and a box of 500 business size envelopes on the other. Don't
ask about the party that followed that trip home. -- frank
I dunno, frank. I like to party, but that sounds like too much licking to me...

Listen: We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.
----Kurt Vonnegut "Timequake"
zontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #2622
mxd253
Oh Bob Saget!!

Oddometer: 41
Anyone have a rack they would part with? I got my woman a Sherp a couple weeks ago and she's already askin for one.

P.S. this little bike is pretty freakin cool!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
mxd253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #2623
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
TKC 80's

I've been running these tires for a few years now, did a run down to central america and back with great results, sticky on pavement and awesome in dirt and sand, and as with any knobbies gotta watch out on rain slick roads, I usually get 8000 miles out of the rear loaded down.
CaptUglyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #2624
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Thanks for the responses above yall .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptUglyDan View Post
I've been running these tires for a few years now, did a run down to central america and back with great results, sticky on pavement and awesome in dirt and sand, and as with any knobbies gotta watch out on rain slick roads, I usually get 8000 miles out of the rear loaded down.

They look nice on there too . What sizes do you run on the sherpa ? How did they compare to the stock 4.10 trail wing as far as fitting.

Still havnt decided yet , Im waiting to see what happens with work . If I get one of the jobs Im tring for Im going to you my bike for commuting so Ill go with the 705s or something similar if I keep in the same field of work (company vehicle included) Ill go with something a bit more Offroad friendly . The TKC look like a fair split though .

Hawk62cj5 screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 02:29 PM
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:42 PM   #2625
Rx4Pain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Progressive Springs Etc

Hey guys, No i have not re-tried the Progressive Springs for the reasons I originally stated. I think changing oil weight might do me more good than the springs. They just compressed more (for at least the first 4 inches or so) than the stockers...and I was hoping for more compression resistance. That first 1 inch or so compresses soooooo quickly/easily with the weight of the bike/rider at rest, that the remainder of the spring simply acts too similar to the stock spring to cause me to change it. (I am not sure of the difference in the spring rate of the remaining springs in the Proigressives vs the stocker)

I will likely sell them off and try a different weight oil.

As for tires...(I know these are soft for the road butttt) I really enjoyed the MT-21's! They were very very good off road, fine on the pavement, but wear more quickly due to the softer compound.

Ken
Rx4Pain is offline   Reply With Quote