Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #2641
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Tex Biker -

Canadian Sherpas come with the high fender, so another option would be to source one from there.
not all. My 2009 came with the low fender.

I replaced mine with the ascerbis supermoto front fender, I was quite happy with it. If you go with too big of a front fender it will act like a sail.

after

it's also the same fender on my KLR:

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #2642
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
not all. My 2009 came with the low fender.

I replaced mine with the ascerbis supermoto front fender, I was quite happy with it. If you go with too big of a front fender it will act like a sail.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

I like the look of the low fender, though I get that it isn't ideal for off-road, mud riding. I suspect most Sherpas aren't doing a lot of single track anyway.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #2643
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmschulz View Post
Good looking bike - looks like you have a sweet deal hear. Lowering the bike is going to be hard due to its already low stature. If the bike is only going to be used on gravel and smooth trails, you could lower it with a smaller link, but if she is over 150lbs and you plan to ride rough bumpy routes, the suspension will bottom out. Shaving the seat will be the easiest and best way to not screw up the already limited suspension. There is plenty of foam in that seat you can trim. Just my $.02.

I love my sherpa, bought it for the wife but I ride it all the time. Even though I say the suspension is limited, I ride it like I stole it all the time on whooped out single track chasing my buddies on their KTM. They are all amazed at what it will do.

Here is mine.
Thats awesome. So far I'm super happy with the bike. GF gets to ride it this weekend when she comes to visit. I know I will be on it often. She's just under 100lbs, so not too worried about her bottoming it out. She's also just learning how to ride.

But I made some homemade lowering links tonight. I followed the dimensions from the Yahoo group site. The previous owner also had the preload jacked as high as possible. So between the lowering links, lowering the preload, and raising the front forks, I got about 2.25" out of it with guestimating her sag. We'll see how she feels on it this weekend, but it is a good bit lower.

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #2644
ssmschulz
Sherpa Rider

Oddometer: 139
Nice work. You will love this little bike. They are great and very low maintenance.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #2645
TexBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Tex Biker -

Canadian Sherpas come with the high fender, so another option would be to source one from there.
I actually ran into a Canadian couple riding their Sherpas through Texas last week. One had the high fender and the other had the low. After seeing them in person, I decided to stick with the low fender. I don't plan to ride through any mud and I haven't had any issues on the gravel/caliche roads around here.

By the way, that couple looked to be in their late 60's/early 70's and seemed to be having a blast on their bikes. Not sure if they rode all the way down here or trailered them with an RV. They had soft bags, but looked to be travelling pretty light.

-Mark Twain
TexBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #2646
ssmschulz
Sherpa Rider

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBiker View Post
I actually ran into a Canadian couple riding their Sherpas through Texas last week. One had the high fender and the other had the low. After seeing them in person, I decided to stick with the low fender. I don't plan to ride through any mud and I haven't had any issues on the gravel/caliche roads around here.

By the way, that couple looked to be in their late 60's/early 70's and seemed to be having a blast on their bikes. Not sure if they rode all the way down here or trailered them with an RV. They had soft bags, but looked to be travelling pretty light.
My wife loves the look of the low fender and was pissed when I changed it out to the high fender. Now that it has become more of a street bike I think we are going to put the low fender back on. Good think I kept it.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #2647
coloradogoose
Really?!?

Oddometer: 83
New to me Super Sherpa

Well, after lusting after an SS for four years the money and availability of one came together at just the right time for me. I picked up my 03' with 3600 miles on it on Wednesday (still has the deathwings). I got it registered and insured today (my overall moto insurance cost went DOWN because of how cheap the bike is and the multi-bike discount.) I took her on a 50 mile get-to-know-you ride and absolutely LOVE the thing. I have never felt so at home on a new bike in my life. I have a "thing" for smaller displacement dual sports and feel like I've finally found the perfect one. Most recently I've had a DR200, a DRZ400S, and currently I have a KE100, and am restoring a 73' CT1 175.
My daily ride is an 09' KLR650 and it's a great bike, but in southwestern Colorado I feel like the Sherpa is the perfect bike.
Now to sell my cruiser to pay for the damn thing....

Here are a few pics of the bike on today's ride. It was solo, so no pics of blasting snow banks or deep water crossings, but it did all happen.

71' Yamaha CT1 (bastardization in progress)
coloradogoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #2648
cmean17
Nomad

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
In general you can retrace the threads of a stud with the proper sized die to clean them up . To remove a stud there are several ways , jam 2 nuts together and use them to back it out , vice grips and some luck then there are tools designed to lock down on a stud to remove it proper .

Great advice! I tried the die and it worked perfectly. Feels great to be out riding again
cmean17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #2649
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmean17 View Post
Great advice! I tried the die and it worked perfectly. Feels great to be out riding again

Glad you are back out riding again . Its good to have a set of common standard and metric tap and dies around , I use them to retrace the threads of most critical things I work on such as engine and transmissions .By retracing the threads you know they are clean and uniform for proper torque when you reassemble stuff .

Maybe one day our sherpas will cross paths .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #2650
PaulX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Hello Sherpa gang, I just joined your ranks.

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/mcd/3695950914.html

That ad link will do for the short term. I paid $2300 inflating dollars for a bike in nice condition. I can't get over how smooth this bike is for a thumper. I need that as my wrists and hands can't take the vibration any more.

No, I don't care for the color. I'd prefer the common green. But I'll leave it for now.

The tires are crap. I'm thinking of Shinko 705's or something similar. I wonder about the tire weight. I think there is a lot more variation in weight that most people realize. I had a spare tire on another bike that I used to replace what was there and was amazed at how much heavier that spare tire was. In a bike this light I could see using a thinner tire. Also I wonder about the dodges people use for running tubeless tires (plugging all the spoke holes). Has anyone done that and was it satisfactory?

So far it is not as confidence inspiring offroad as my old XR250L, but I just figured out it's better if I get up on the pegs. Also I just used Armor-all on the seat and was slipping around.
PaulX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #2651
NCJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulX View Post
Hello Sherpa gang, I just joined your ranks.

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/mcd/3695950914.html

That ad link will do for the short term. I paid $2300 inflating dollars for a bike in nice condition. I can't get over how smooth this bike is for a thumper. I need that as my wrists and hands can't take the vibration any more.

No, I don't care for the color. I'd prefer the common green. But I'll leave it for now.

The tires are crap. I'm thinking of Shinko 705's or something similar. I wonder about the tire weight. I think there is a lot more variation in weight that most people realize. I had a spare tire on another bike that I used to replace what was there and was amazed at how much heavier that spare tire was. In a bike this light I could see using a thinner tire. Also I wonder about the dodges people use for running tubeless tires (plugging all the spoke holes). Has anyone done that and was it satisfactory?

So far it is not as confidence inspiring offroad as my old XR250L, but I just figured out it's better if I get up on the pegs. Also I just used Armor-all on the seat and was slipping around.
I'm not altogether enthralled with the trailwings on mine, but have pretty much decided to just go on and wear 'em out before getting something else. Going tubeless is surely doable, but would it really be worth the trouble?

The inevitable question: has it been rejetted and a 15t sprocket installed? That has been a good choice on ours, resulting in a noticeable longer leggedness that's nice both when accelerating and at cruise. Certainly worth it.

Agreed on the OD green, I hope the wife doesn't spot your red one, I'll be trying to talk myself out of a paint job.....

Thought yours was the same bike posted a couple of years ago in this thread, 'till I realized the frame and rims were differently finished:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=248

Quite a few folks out there happily tooling around on Sherpas, I'm quite sure you're going to be very pleased as well - Jwife and I most certainly are. Happy riding!

NCJ screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 06:49 PM
NCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #2652
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,296
I put the 15 tooth sprocket on this week, and finally got to a pretty decent test ride today. Big improvement. Instead of being in 3rd before I'm across the intersection, it's still comfortably in 2nd.
I have a much longer ride planned for next week, so we'll see how it is a hiway speeds.

On an unrelated question, I will need tires for the Sherpa soon. On some of our training bikes ( newer KLX 250's), they have Dunlop D605's. I haven't had a chance to test them in the dirt, but on pavement they seem really good. They look like a 50/50 tire. Does anyone have any personal experience with them? They are not 606's, different compound.

The other thing, is I also have the high fender on mine, and the other day while braking very hard from a fairly high speed, the fender dragged onto the top of tire enough to melt it a bit. I think maybe I need stiffer springs.

McJamie screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 06:08 PM
McJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #2653
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
The other thing, is I also have the high fender on mine, and the other day while braking very hard from a fairly high speed, the fender dragged onto the top of tire enough to melt it a bit. I think maybe I need stiffer springs.[/QUOTE]

I'm just impressed your front brake works that well lol!
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #2654
PaulX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
has it been rejetted and a 15t sprocket installed?
Stock gearing. I will stick with that until I have tires and am satisfied with the dirt/gravel performance. Normally I gear up but don't want to until I am sure things are OK at the low end.

Haven't checked the jets yet.

I like the rear fender but am considering removing it to get a permanent saddlebag setup. This bike is pretty good for such things because it is slim all the way back, with no bulges like so many bikes have, to work around when trying to mount bags.
PaulX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #2655
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post

On an unrelated question, I will need tires for the Sherpa soon. On some of our training bikes ( newer KLX 250's), they have Dunlop D605's. I haven't had a chance to test them in the dirt, but on pavement they seem really good. They look like a 50/50 tire.
No experience with 605s, but, except as OEM fitment from Kawi, are they even available?

Wifey has had T-63s on her Sherpa since winter 2012, and is pleased with the improvement over the Trailwings.

Based on that I just put a T-63 rear on my WRR, and while I haven't had much chance to test them yet, so far I am happy.