Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #2671
TexBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
I took the front brake lines off our Sherpas and had a local hydraulic shop make me a pair of braided steel lines. Cost about $20 each and made a HUGE difference in braking for our bikes. Best "upgrade" I've made to them.

-Mark Twain
TexBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #2672
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 570
Spongy lines on vehicles can really kill the braking so that would make sense with a on a sherpa since the volume and leverage is so small . On a car you can see the lines move when they have gotten weak and are expanding due to the pressure . My front brake isnt bad but my rear brake is pretty spongy .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #2673
PaulX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Anybody have a line on tank decals? My bike is pretty anonymous (maybe not a bad thing!) but I'd like something on the tank. Maybe...
PaulX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #2674
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulX View Post
Anybody have a line on tank decals? My bike is pretty anonymous (maybe not a bad thing!) but I'd like something on the tank. Maybe...
If you are wanting OEM they appear to be available through both bikebandit.com (about $24 for the "Sherpa") and ronayers.com (about $30). They are likely available through Kawasaki, but you apparently need to go to a dealer to get a price anymore. When ordering you need to consider shipping costs - sometimes the more expensive source for a part is actually less expensive when shipping is factored in.

I am not sure they are sold in pairs or separately.

I've also picked up some OEM decals via EBay on occasion when I was working to restore a bike to "showroom" condition.

An alternative is to find a place that makes custom decals and you can design your own. I've seen a few that appear to be custom in this thread, but perhaps they are stock from non-US markets?

Good luck!
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #2675
PaulX
Adventurer

I couldn't find anything on bikebandit or ebay. The other places I found tank decals charged $44 for EACH side of the gas tank. Too rich for a damn decal, sheesh.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #2676
810H4Z4RD
Old n00b

Oddometer: 80
Tusk, just say that you want me

Re the Tusk handguards and D-flex shields.

Having seen these mentioned many times on the forum, mine were waiting and installed the day after i purchased my sherpa. Just want to lavish more praise: they bolted up with no issues (15 min?) and saved both of my levers today.

Thanks to everyone who suggested them.
810H4Z4RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #2677
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 810H4Z4RD View Post
Re the Tusk handguards and D-flex shields.

Having seen these mentioned many times on the forum, mine were waiting and installed the day after i purchased my sherpa. Just want to lavish more praise: they bolted up with no issues (15 min?) and saved both of my levers today.

Thanks to everyone who suggested them.

Glad they worked for you , mine saved my right hand fingers from becoming hamburger during a high speed offroad faceplant so Im quite a fan of them .
Old 05-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #2678
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,698
Same here have planted the Sherpa on both sides and glanced off a oak tree with just scuffs on the Tusks .
Old 05-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #2679
PaulX
Adventurer

I read this way back in post 1794:
Quote:
One of the cold-starting tricks I use on my "real" dirtbikes is to put the fuel petcock in "prime", and lean the bike over to one side until the fuel starts dribbling out of the carb overflow hose under the bike. Tip the bike back upright, and now the float bowl will be a little bit overfull, with fresh gasoline.
I had a '71 Norton Commando a long time ago; kick start of course. After opening the fuel tap the Amal carbs were "tickled" (button pushed on the side which depressed the floats and let in gas until the gas dribbled out the overflow). Choke on, then one or two kicks to get it running. Wouldn't start without that. So your idea about overfilling the float bowl has a long pedigree.

On the posts about mirror extensions, I leave my mirrors off the bike and use Bug Eyes instead. They take a bit of getting used to but I now prefer them. I don't know about legality but I haven't been stopped yet.
http://www.bugeyes.com/

Quote:
No i have not re-tried the Progressive Springs for the reasons I originally stated. I think changing oil weight might do me more good than the springs. They just compressed more (for at least the first 4 inches or so) than the stockers
Guys on some other forums have concluded the Progressive springs were a gimmick, and prefer single-rate springs. Are there aftermarket single rate springs for the Sherpa?

I am a little confused at some of the comments about installing spacers. As far as I can tell, spacers ONLY adjust ride height (despite being called "preload"), they don't affect how stiff the springs act. No matter what spacer gets put in, the spring will always be compressed to the same amount for the same rider weight under static conditions. Heavier viscosity oil may well make things feel firmer under dynamic conditions.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:50 AM   #2680
TracK
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hello fellow adventure riders,

This would be my first post here =)

I have recently bought Super Sherpa (supposedly from 2001) as my first motorcycle. I like it a lot, but after few rides found out I am having a constant problem with bottoming out on rear suspension. I am pretty heavy guy with about 105kg (230lbs), which is far from being 'an average-build rider of 68kg' (from Owner manual). And spring preload is already adjusted to maximum (biggest load).
So it looks like the only option I have is to change rear spring, as it is most probably just too worn out.
Can anyone please suggest replacement for rear spring?
I will keep looking for it by myself, but thought maybe someone already worked on this tasks.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated,

Thanks
TracK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:32 AM   #2681
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

From what I understand a KLR 650 spring and shock will work if you drill the holes larger.Which might be the easiest route.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #2682
taehome
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Tire fitment

Anyone know if a Bridgestone 301 80/100-21 will fit my 2001 SS? It has the original low fender and there isn't very much clearance.
I'm really not sure if there is a huge difference in size from the 2.75-21.?
Thanks!

taehome screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 03:46 PM Reason: Spelling
taehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #2683
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
The Sherpa squeal of death!

For those who haven't experienced it, this is a constant high pitch squeal from somewhere down near the front wheel. The pitch doesn't change with speed, a bit like how the pitch of a violin string doesn't change when the bow is pushed faster. The volume tends to be pretty much constant when moving too. The noise comes and goes and can be maddening to try to trace.
The Sherpa squeal has re-appeared on the Yahoo Sherpa forum this week too. Lubricating the front wheel bearing seals was reported to have fixed it.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #2684
810H4Z4RD
Old n00b

Oddometer: 80
tingly hands

I've got a noob question about my SS, but it may be more of a general riding question.

When riding longer distances (30 min+) i often get a tingling sensation in my hands, sometimes to the point where they start to go numb. It's similar to pushing a lawn mower for an hour, a combination of constant vibration and pressure on my hands.

Question is, could something about the bike or my riding position be contributing to the problem? I've noticed that the low handlebars and sloped seat of the Sherpa tend to force my weight forward so i lean on the bars ... could raising / adjusting the bars help? Modifying the seat? I make a conscious effort not to white-knuckle the grips and keep my hands pretty loose, but still i find my palms end up supporting alot of weight on the grips. Anyway, any suggestions appreciated ... nothing more disconcerting than having your hands fall asleep while you're rolling down the highway.
810H4Z4RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:49 AM   #2685
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by 810H4Z4RD View Post
I've got a noob question about my SS, but it may be more of a general riding question.

When riding longer distances (30 min+) i often get a tingling sensation in my hands, sometimes to the point where they start to go numb. It's similar to pushing a lawn mower for an hour, a combination of constant vibration and pressure on my hands.

Question is, could something about the bike or my riding position be contributing to the problem? I've noticed that the low handlebars and sloped seat of the Sherpa tend to force my weight forward so i lean on the bars ... could raising / adjusting the bars help? Modifying the seat? I make a conscious effort not to white-knuckle the grips and keep my hands pretty loose, but still i find my palms end up supporting alot of weight on the grips. Anyway, any suggestions appreciated ... nothing more disconcerting than having your hands fall asleep while you're rolling down the highway.
Sherpa is pretty smooth for a small thumper, so your guess about ergonomics being the cause sounds likely. Tusk brand 1-1/4" risers from Rocky Mtn ATV are only $20 and may help. Wifey has a set she hasn't gotten around to installing. I have the same on my WRR.