Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 03:56 AM   #2686
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by 810H4Z4RD View Post
I've got a noob question about my SS, but it may be more of a general riding question.

When riding longer distances (30 min+) i often get a tingling sensation in my hands, sometimes to the point where they start to go numb. It's similar to pushing a lawn mower for an hour, a combination of constant vibration and pressure on my hands.

Question is, could something about the bike or my riding position be contributing to the problem? I've noticed that the low handlebars and sloped seat of the Sherpa tend to force my weight forward so i lean on the bars ... could raising / adjusting the bars help? Modifying the seat? I make a conscious effort not to white-knuckle the grips and keep my hands pretty loose, but still i find my palms end up supporting alot of weight on the grips. Anyway, any suggestions appreciated ... nothing more disconcerting than having your hands fall asleep while you're rolling down the highway.
We had the seat redone by Seat Concepts with their new medium gripper material on top. No more sliding towards the tank.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #2687
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,346
Quote:
I've got a noob question about my SS, but it may be more of a general riding question.

When riding longer distances (30 min+) i often get a tingling sensation in my hands, sometimes to the point where they start to go numb. It's similar to pushing a lawn mower for an hour, a combination of constant vibration and pressure on my hands.

Question is, could something about the bike or my riding position be contributing to the problem? I've noticed that the low handlebars and sloped seat of the Sherpa tend to force my weight forward so i lean on the bars ... could raising / adjusting the bars help? Modifying the seat? I make a conscious effort not to white-knuckle the grips and keep my hands pretty loose, but still i find my palms end up supporting alot of weight on the grips. Anyway, any suggestions appreciated ... nothing more disconcerting than having your hands fall asleep while you're rolling down the highway.
Likely both things mentioned. You are probably sitting in enough of a lean to put extra weight on your hands (depending on your height and arm length), but it also sounds like you have the death grip on the handlebars. We tell our students to hold the bars the way hold a small child's hand. No so hard as to crush it, but not so loose as to slip away.
The Sherpa is one of the smoothest small singles I've ever ridden. Even the mirrors stay clear at speed. So you might want to double check that everything is mounted correctly. Sometimes an accessory mounted on the bars can add some vibration. Is it both hands, or just one? Just one side usually means something is mounted improperly or causing the problem.
It is a great bike, you will find it very difficult to ever come up with a reason to get rid of it.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #2688
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
Likely both things mentioned. You are probably sitting in enough of a lean to put extra weight on your hands (depending on your height and arm length), but it also sounds like you have the death grip on the handlebars. We tell our students to hold the bars the way hold a small child's hand. No so hard as to crush it, but not so loose as to slip away.
The Sherpa is one of the smoothest small singles I've ever ridden. Even the mirrors stay clear at speed. So you might want to double check that everything is mounted correctly. Sometimes an accessory mounted on the bars can add some vibration. Is it both hands, or just one? Just one side usually means something is mounted improperly or causing the problem.
It is a great bike, you will find it very difficult to ever come up with a reason to get rid of it.
Yep when I first started riding my hands would go numb after about fifteen minutes of riding . I told a friend of mine thats been riding a long time and he told me to loosen up my grip to how you would hold an egg and relax . I did and no more numb hands , except the other day when I was on a dirt road that was the slickest mess Ive ever rode on , it was worst than snow and ice . I kept death griping the bars even I told myself to not to, I kept doing it I guess I need to ride more on that road .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #2689
810H4Z4RD
Old n00b

Oddometer: 101
Thanks guys for the suggestions, i might start by looking at the Tusk risers.

There's no noticeable vibration when riding at any speed, other than that caused by rough road. When i do get tingly hands it's both hands so probably nothing out of alignment. As for death-gripping, as i said i make a conscious effort to relax but i do so because sometimes i find myself holding too hard, so maybe that is still part of the issue and i'll focus on that more.

Modifying the seat would be a last resort ... tempted to also try some bigger pegs so i can control my position better with my legs, i kind of tender-foot on the small pegs which might contribute to the forward lean.

Lots of ideas to try. Thanks again.
810H4Z4RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #2690
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,837
Quote:

Unless there's something wrong with your Sherpa, or you're riding with very aggressive knobbies . . . it's probably not the bike.

Try this - it works.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...at&Number=2744
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #2691
810H4Z4RD
Old n00b

Thanks for the link Hannda. Yoda is a little caps happy but presents some good information. I think my riding position is as much to blame as anything so I'll work on that prior to any bike modifications. Still thinking longer pegs and risers will help but in the meantime I'll work on the main culprit (me).
Old 05-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #2692
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,996
Quote:
Thanks guys for the suggestions, i might start by looking at the Tusk risers.

There's no noticeable vibration when riding at any speed, other than that caused by rough road. When i do get tingly hands it's both hands so probably nothing out of alignment. As for death-gripping, as i said i make a conscious effort to relax but i do so because sometimes i find myself holding too hard, so maybe that is still part of the issue and i'll focus on that more.

Modifying the seat would be a last resort ... tempted to also try some bigger pegs so i can control my position better with my legs, i kind of tender-foot on the small pegs which might contribute to the forward lean.

Lots of ideas to try. Thanks again.
If it is a nerve, it could be the seat. Seat Concepts?

Before you order the Tusk 1-1/4" risers, you may want to free up the bars and verify your cables will reach. As I noted earlier, Wifey has a set on deck, but hasn't installed them yet.

jon_l screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 04:02 AM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #2693
810H4Z4RD
Old n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
... it could be the seat. Seat Concepts?
Thanks for the link, that's a little pricy but an option if the free / cheap fixes don't do the trick.

Do you know, does that pad and cover just fit over the original or do you need to remove the original seat cover? Couldn't tell from their info.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:05 AM   #2694
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,996
Quote:
Thanks for the link, that's a little pricy but an option if the free / cheap fixes don't do the trick.

Do you know, does that pad and cover just fit over the original or do you need to remove the original seat cover? Couldn't tell from their info.
You remove the old seat cover and foam, they supply new to mount on your seat pan.

SC pretty-much owns the thumper seat market due to the relatively low cost, and most folks seem quite pleased with the results. Much less $ than a new seat from Renazzco or similar.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:24 AM   #2695
TracK
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
From what I understand a KLR 650 spring and shock will work if you drill the holes larger.Which might be the easiest route.
Thank you Hawk!
I will look into this direction, but I am concerned if spring from KLR650 would not be too...hard...for Super Sherpa. Also could you please clarify what 'drill the holes larger' means =)
Sorry for being annoying, but this problem bothers me a lot. A need to find some solution. I was looking for springs in the internet, and found Race Tech shock spring costing around 100$, but there is no option for Super Sherpa. Is there any other bike that is similar to Super Sherpa in terms of measures (length of spring, diameter, spring rate)?
Also I could not find these measures (length of spring, diameter, spring rate) in Super Sherpa Service manual. Can anyone please help me find them =)

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!
TracK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:23 AM   #2696
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:

Seat Concepts does a nice job with their seats. When we did my wife's, we took it to a local upholstery person that repaired the hole in my riding pants-oops-and removed the old cover and foam and installed the new cover and foam for $35.00. Looks great, and more importantly rides well. A big plus is there is no more sliding around like there was with the stock seat, and that's something that will have you holding onto the bars harder than you should have to.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #2697
PaulX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
i often get a tingling sensation in my hands, sometimes to the point where they start to go numb
The techniques others have posted are worth trying (I'm going to try some of them too) but I have one thing to add.

When my hands get numb I will take one hand at a time and hang it from the grip at the last joint of my fingers with the rest of the hand open. For some reason the numbness goes away very quickly that way. It is harder with the throttle hand of course because you have to maintain an open throttle while doing it, but it is possible. I wouldn't do it in traffic or any other case where you might need to make emergency manuvers and only do one hand at a time.

On another subject, does anybody know of a low pipe option for the Sherpa? I thought I saw a picture of one but can't find it any more. I want this to make it easier to throw a saddlebag on the bike. Perhaps there is some kind of flex exhaust pipe I can add to the system to use the stock muffler low?
PaulX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:11 AM   #2698
Turborob
Minimalist.

Oddometer: 619
sherpa no starty

legends of the sherpa community:

My one isn't starting following a tank swap. I've plugged the old vacuum hose, and everything is hooked up as it should be.

what should I check first? I have spark, as last time I bump started it to get home......check plug to see if it's wet after trying to start it?

After 27000ks, this is the first time it hasn't fired up.

The best rider is the one who enjoys it most.
Turborob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #2699
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Given you've changed tank, check you've actually got fuel flow and that you've got fuel in the carby bowl.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #2700
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Yeah, could be something wrong with the petcock. You hooked the lines up correctly right?

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote