Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #2776
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Oddometer: 181
Haha! 3

2 2009's and a 2003.

I gave the 2003, #2 to one of my brothers, one of the 2009's, #1, I bought for my wife, but I've adopted due to her lack of interest, and the other 2009, #3 I bought for me.

Among all of my bikes, I really like the Sherpa the best. Its a superbly versatile bike. Very good road manners, will go anywhere, a real workhorse. Rock solid and ultra reliable, simple as well.

I have nothing against other dualsports or adv bikes, I have some of those, too. I've just found that this is the best all-arounder.

Best regards.

Rey.
Rey & Vann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #2777
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
The red would look alot better if they would have left the frame ,kick stand , brake light assembly and swing arm factory colors then maybe added some sort of graphic or striping on the tank .
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #2778
ssmschulz
Sherpa Rider

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Sport Armory View Post
We found a used Super Sherpa to add to our stable, Using it as a chase vehicle
Was going to trick it out, but can't seem to stop riding little DS bike, that is more fun than it should be

Sherpa's love the water.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #2779
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Kick Starter ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFly01 View Post
So Newcastleadam and I tore into the sherpa last night to start on the clutch pack because it was slipping so bad. Found it was just roasted

Thanks to tomatoe333 for recommending new clutch springs cause these were about 1mm under spec, clutch discs were reading 1.9mm where the spec limit is 2.62mm. New EBC discs and springs will be replacing it along with new jets for the carb to help out. Also, we did correct the chain guide to fit in its proper place holder.
Ok by looking at these pictures can someone draw an arrow in photoshop or something to where all the components would go if we had a kick start kit available ??? I know there's a black plug in the side of the case where I believe the kick shaft would be. Any help ??? Thanks
Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #2780
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Reducing the weight of the rotating mass ???

Who knows if any other parts of the trans or engine are balanced besides the crank, rod wrist pin & piston for the purpose of lightening the rotating mass for quicker revs or maybe a little more power ??
Old 06-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #2781
810H4Z4RD
Old n00b

Oddometer: 89
The 810 saddle bag rack

Picked up a Western 210 Denier Combo Quilted Saddlebag (Black) from Horse.com for $17.99. It has a metal tie ring on one bottom corner of each bag, so added a grommet to the other corner on each side. Now for a rack ...

Bungeed it down to my OEM tail rack ... will probably use straps in the future. Brake light in full view and blinkers are visible from the rear at least. Could have cut a lot less away from the crate but this works for a trial run.

Spray paint it flat black, bungee the bags at top and four bottom corners.

Now to overstuff it :) Small sleeping bag and change of clothes on one side, another sleeping bag and jacket / pants liners on the other. Jacket wadded on top with some room left over. Side bags are too full for the velcro closures so they get a bungee too.

Test drive: road around town several miles to get the pipes hot, hitting some rutted streets and a bit of gravel. The bags didn't get warm and didn't budge with just bungees but i think straps would be better for bumpier terrain. Not a ton of extra weight on the back but the front felt noticeably lighter on gravel. With bungees the whole thing is on / off in a couple minutes. Anyway, it's functional for light duty and priced right at <$30 and an hour or 2 of farting around.
810H4Z4RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #2782
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

That's a good idea, and cheap too. I have a plastic bread basket that would make a great rear rack, it's quite large but I think it can be converted too. I've been saving it, but I might sell it. It's not worth much so it would probably cost more to ship than it's worth.

Have you thought about adjusting your load tension on your mono shock for the extra weight ? If you get into some gravel it will be compressed more & want to kick out from underneath you.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:38 AM   #2783
810H4Z4RD
Old n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
Have you thought about adjusting your load tension on your mono shock for the extra weight ? If you get into some gravel it will be compressed more & want to kick out from underneath you.
Thanks, I'll try that this weekend. Been wanting to mess with the shock anyway as i'm bulkier than the previous owner and he never left the pavement with it.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #2784
810H4Z4RD
Old n00b

I'm looking at about 50 pounds over the stock setting of 150# with rider and gear. Adjust preload first then fiddle with damping, correct?
TIA

810H4Z4RD screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 04:42 PM
Old 06-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #2785
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Manual

I'm doing some work on my sherpa, and need to take the camshaft off in order to fix a valve clearance problem.

I got an el-cheapo manual, and the pics don't show me what I need to see with respect to getting the camshaft aligned properly, so I looked around and found a service here:

http://www.cyclepedia.com/kawasaki-k...ervice-manual/

They claim to have videos of all the repair procedures, and they sell it as a "subscription" model. The price isn't too bad for a 'lifetime' use, I was wondering if anyone else had used this service?

Oh, better yet, if someone has a pick of what the camshaft looks when it's at TDC and ready to have the camshaft pulled and can post it, that would help a lot.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #2786
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

8 Post "Under Seat" Fuse Block Installation Super Sherpa

The first picture shows the finished Installation except for the power wire being hooked up.

The Next picture shows the 8 position fuse block, even though you may not have enough juice to ever power that many things, the spare fuses are right there.

The next pic shows the rubber breather, you need to cut it & turn it around as shown.

This next picture shows the rubber boot that holds the CDI. Instead of doing what I did you should turn the rubber boot over, it mounts where it's supposed to just the same. This allows for more rubber around the male/female screws so it wont tear out like what happened to me. The other side doesn't have the square hole cut out of it so it will work better. I used a leather hole punch to make the holes for the female screws.

Here are a couple pics of the male/female screws I used. I can't remember the name of them but they do have a special name if someone wants to help me out here. I used a different male screw because the ones that come with the ones that go with the female part is too big to go in the fuse block.

The next two pics show the trimming necessary for the fuse block to fit. I had to trim the corners, the sides under the terminals & both sides of one end so it clears a tab "just visible lower left" under the corner of the fuse block. The plastic is breakable so you'll probably want to use something more high speed like a bandsaw or a Dremel.

The last picture shows the fuses just below the top of the frame. You'll have about an 1/8th to 3/16ths of an inch or so of clearance.
You can get these fuse blocks off ebay but you might be able to get them locally.

Sequoia screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 12:00 AM
Old 06-23-2013, 12:10 AM   #2787
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Actually Kawasaki had a factory rack for our sherpas here in the states and down under they have the stockman racks and accessories.
The Stockman is a separate model with quite a few special features to suit its intended career as a farm bike. While the rack, the swingarm with a right side stand, etc are all available as spare parts, they're not marketed as accessories as such, and there is some very minor cutting of the plastics to fit the Stockman rack to a sherpa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBiker View Post
Yep, both our Sherpas came with the OEM rack from Kawasaki. Looks like the Stockman rack is the same unit.
Nope, the Stockman rack, which is rated 20kg - about one Australian Standard Sheepdog - is definitely different to the little square 5kg rack sold as a Sherpa accessory in North America.

The Stockman rack fitted to my bike which is visible in many of my posts in the global wild card tag thread has had the rear vertical bars which protect/obscure the tail light cut off. Since the Stockman cannot be road registered in Australia, they're not a problem for farm bikes.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:12 AM   #2788
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 573
Very nice work sequoia .

Thanks epezeq .
Speaking of racks I worked on mine yesterday , I started about 9 months ago and its been sitting in the pile of unfinished projects which is way bigger than it should be . Here is the rack itsself , I need to shorten the mounting tubes I little .

I have the front two supports done but ran out of tubing so had to stop work on it to go get more . Ill try to finish and get it mounted this evening .

what motivated me was I ran up town friday evening to get some more charcoal lighter fluid and ended up buying a charcoal starter chimney . On the way home a teen was at light beside me and said he liked my rocket powered birt bike That and my wife said she was tired of the welder on the carport and I need to clean up all my mess . The rack was the easiest thing , I also have a chevy 4.3 that need to be put in my jeep in place of the stock motor .

Hawk62cj5 screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 07:03 AM
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #2789
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Very nice work sequoia .

Thanks epezeq .
Speaking of racks I worked on mine yesterday , I started about 9 months ago and its been sitting in the pile of unfinished projects which is way bigger than it should be . Here is the rack itsself , I need to shorten the mounting tubes I little .

I have the front two supports done but ran out of tubing so had to stop work on it to go get more . Ill try to finish and get it mounted this evening .

what motivated me was I ran up town friday evening to get some more charcoal lighter fluid and ended up buying a charcoal starter chimney . On the way home a teen was at light beside me and said he liked my rocket powered birt bike That and my wife said she was tired of the welder on the carport and I need to clean up all my mess . The rack was the easiest thing , I also have a chevy 4.3 that need to be put in my jeep in place of the stock motor .
Thanks & I like the looks of the rack. I'm curious as to how it's going to mount on the bike.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #2790
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
Thanks & I like the looks of the rack. I'm curious as to how it's going to mount on the bike.

Thanks I was hoping to have a pic of it all mounted up and finished but life got in the way again today . Im using the grab handle mounting tabs as the base mounting . I bent 1/2 tubing that fit up into the 5/8 tubes on the rack that are going to be locked in place with 1/8 clips , that way I can pull the 4 clips to remove the rack to remove the seat or rear fender cover . The negative is 5 pieces, the rack and 4 individual mounts but if I damage it hopfully I will only damage a single piece that I can easily make and replace . I made a push to finish at dark tonight but just ran out of light and didnt want to be making final rack placement adjustments in the dark . I had made my front 2 mounts about a half inch taller than I wanted the rack to sit so I lost time cutting them down since my facilities are fairly primitive.
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote