Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #2791
ssmschulz
Sherpa Rider

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
The first picture shows the finished Installation except for the power wire being hooked up.

The Next picture shows the 8 position fuse block, even though you may not have enough juice to ever power that many things, the spare fuses are right there.
What are you going to run with all that power? Does the Sherpa alternator produce enough juice for that? Great job on the mod and placement of your fuese pannel _ Love it.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #2792
1stgenfarmboy
The Sherpa Man

Oddometer: 725
I'm in the club ! ! ! ! ! .........just picked it up last weekend and rode it all week in the Smoky mountains.....I am in LOVE....sweetest little DS I have ever owned, I will be conversing on here regularly.

more and better pics when I can.

Dar

1stgenfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #2793
rsteiger
Bob

Oddometer: 170
Head Bolt/Gasket Question

A friend of mine owns two Super Sherpa's. Pretty cool bike and I have ridden one of them for a couple of months.

She bought both of the bikes used so doesn't have a whole bunch of history on them. Both of them were notorious for starting when cold so I did the jetting trick and that really helped out on one of them and not so much on the other.

The other bike would start when cold but then you would have to crank the idle way up to keep it running and once it got warmed up it was screaming at idle. So you would turn it back down and then everything was good.

Since she is part owner of a diesel/turbo business with a half million dollar Bosch clean room she brought the carb into work and had them clean it up. Same issue.

So last weekend we decided to check the valve clearances and found that the intakes were in specification but one of exhaust valves was at 0.004" and the other had no clearance that I could measure (smallest guage I had was 0.0015 and that would not fit).

At that point she decided to pull the head and have her shop rebuild it and set the clearances. When we pulled the head bolts out we found a couple that had a funky sort of gasket about half way down the bolt. The gasket looked like it was molded to the bolt and in this case it was torn so we ordered some new ones.

Does anyone know what this gasket seals?

Once the head shop at her business looked at the valves they told her to order some new ones which came in today so the head should be ready tomorrow. However, the head bolts still have not shipped and we don't have an eta for these either. Half thinking of reusing the old bolts with some RTV but I am not sure what they are sealing against.
2001 GasGas XC250
rsteiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #2794
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmschulz View Post
What are you going to run with all that power? Does the Sherpa alternator produce enough juice for that? Great job on the mod and placement of your fuese pannel _ Love it.
Well I just have some fuses thrown in there right now. I'll be running a GPS for sure but not back & forth to work. And a heated jacket when I catch a chill but that's probably about it. I do have a mini air compressor if I ever take a trip & think i'll need it. If you look back you can see a picture of the little dash I made that is just above the instrument cluster, It holds two power outlets with room for two more. So I could leave the GPS plugged in all the time & plug in a heated jacket when I need it for short bursts, & if I need to use the air compressor I can plug it in. Not everything I have would be running at the same time. I know, dead battery for sure if you do. If I switch to LED's that should help out some.

Sequoia screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 10:08 PM
Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:43 AM   #2795
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
Well I just have some fuses thrown in there right now. I'll be running a GPS for sure but not back & forth to work. And a heated jacket when I catch a chill but that's probably about it. I do have a mini air compressor if I ever take a trip & think i'll need it. If you look back you can see a picture of the little dash I made that is just above the instrument cluster, It holds two power outlets with room for two more. So I could leave the GPS plugged in all the time & plug in a heated jacket when I need it for short bursts, & if I need to use the air compressor I can plug it in. Not everything I have would be running at the same time. I know, dead battery for sure if you do. If I switch to LED's that should help out some.

Thats one thing Ive been working on is switching over to leds , I have the tusk handguard led turn signals then I installed a led brake light from superbrightleds Im happy with over a couple others I tried and my rack has led turns on it. When I get around to it Im going to put in leds in the instrument cluster ....... now only if head light led tech would get up there
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #2796
mel brooks
Dirt Chick

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post

...... now only if head light led tech would get up there

Pricey, but......

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...0001&langId=-1

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”
Steve McQueen, On Any Sunday
mel brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #2797
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Got home with some day light left today so I worked on the rack , of course as soon as I started working a bad thunderstorm rolled in so I did as any one on ADV would I kept welding and working with the rain blowing in on me and got it done .

Its all disassembled now with paint drying on it but here it is , now to bolt on the turn signals and wire them in .

With my super sized trunk
Old 06-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #2798
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Looks like you did a good job on it. I used the front grab handle mount & one of the foot peg mounting locations for my rack. I'd like to have a little bigger top case like that, mines just a bit too small. It will hold an Igloo cooler then I swap it out & put my helmet in when I get to work. It will hold a jacket too but it's jammed in & I can barely get the lid closed.
Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #2799
PaulX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
I was thinking if you painted the swingarm black it might look a bit better.
Yeah, it occurred to me as well. Next swingarm service...

Quote:
So Newcastleadam and I tore into the sherpa last night to start on the clutch pack because it was slipping so bad. Found it was just roasted
I adjusted my clutch cable the way the manual said, and found for some reason I got clutch slip when the engine warmed up. I also didn't like the clutch engagement just at the end of the lever stroke. So I put the extra slop back in and all is fine. Just a suggestion, try leaving a little more slop in the clutch cable, might make the clutch happier.

To be honest I think my cable needs a bit of lube too.

The clutch could have stronger springs. It's not as if the lever is difficult to pull.

BTW I got one of those National Cycle screens that everybody gets. I'm still not sure about it. It definitely cuts the chest pressure and I think I'd get better mileage out of it (especially if I get down a bit behind the screen) but the noise is about a wash (depending on the wind direction) which was a disappointment. However I will leave it on for now. I suspect it will look a lot better after a long trip.
PaulX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #2800
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Well got that done

Notice a problem , my turn signals are now 4 way flashers they are alot brighter than that pic makes them look .
Oh well time to do some corrective wiring .Verified what I thought I had to do on the ninja forums , here if any one else has the issue. Which works out with my next project wiring in a head light and running light kill switch and aux lighting wiring which I have every thing for I just need to make the switch and plug panel for the dash .

I also adjusted the spring preload while I had the bike apart , 3.5 turns and it feels a bit better to me . It doesnt feel like its dragging its tail down the road any more , but it might be me since I havnt rode it in about a week .

Hawk62cj5 screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 08:12 PM
Old 06-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #2801
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,750
Any idea why there would be oil on top of the carb slide?
Old 06-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #2802
1stgenfarmboy
The Sherpa Man

Oddometer: 725
one more pic after I cleaned it up...and of course polished the exaust, it wont stay that way but I wanted to get it clean to start with.

1stgenfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #2803
12Bong13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Wow that is clean!

What is that skidplate?
12Bong13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #2804
TexBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Probably the speedo gear. They tend to whine when dry. Lube it up and I bet the noise goes away. Just follow the speedo cable to your front hub and you'll find it.

-Mark Twain
TexBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #2805
coloradogoose
Really?!?

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBiker View Post
Probably the speedo gear. They tend to whine when dry. Lube it up and I bet the noise goes away. Just follow the speedo cable to your front hub and you'll find it.
I had the same issue on my new-to-me sherpa, and it was the speedo gear. Just be careful as you take it apart. Much of the set-up is plastic and can break if it's not disassembled carefully. A liberal amount of bearing grease inside the gearing took care of the noise.
71' Yamaha CT1 (bastardization in progress)
coloradogoose is offline   Reply With Quote