Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #2821
1stgenfarmboy
The Sherpa Man

Oddometer: 952
Thanks a lot for posting it was yours and the info about it, I would have put a jet in it if you hadn't said it was already done.

I can tell the bike has been well serviced, that is such a relief to know.

all it really needed was a fork seal and it got that last night.

pm me your address and I will ship your windscreen back to you at no cost to you my friend.

Dar
1stgenfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #2822
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgenfarmboy View Post
Thanks a lot for posting it was yours and the info about it, I would have put a jet in it if you hadn't said it was already done.

I can tell the bike has been well serviced, that is such a relief to know.

all it really needed was a fork seal and it got that last night.

pm me your address and I will ship your windscreen back to you at no cost to you my friend.

Dar
Done, thanks.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #2823
taehome
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
When I bought my bike it only had 1500 plus miles on it & it leaked slightly. When I pulled the cam cover I noticed the bolts were a bit loose! I don't know if this is common or what, but I figured it might be and from vibration probably ?? Re-tightening might have helped the leak. I also noticed that there was some clear silicone type of stuff in and around or near the half moon shapes of the rubber gasket. When I put it back
together Instead of silicone I used the "Copper Spray" by Permatex you coat gaskets with, it's really sticky & seems to be working.
Seems like I have the same clear silicone stuff at the half moons. I'm gonna check the tightness of the cover and keep an eye on it but probably won't attempt more of a fix till the valve check this fall.

Thanks for all the feed back.
taehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #2824
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernsloper View Post
When I get about maybe 15mph, I'm hearing a high pitched whistling sound. Coming from the back I think, but I'm honestly not sure. I'm not the most mechanically astute person to begin with, and motorcycles are new to me. I'm not even sure where to start looking. Any ideas?
At the front!

See these past posts:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2656
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2663
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2683

"They all do that"!
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #2825
PaulX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Does anyone get oil sepage from their motors.
How wonderful to have bikes where we can worry about such details. It used to be you just took it for granted bikes would leave oil spots in the garage. I still reflexively think something is wrong if they don't.

Quote:
Half thinking of reusing the old bolts with some RTV but I am not sure what they are sealing against.
Maybe part of the crankcase ventilation system?

I don't like RTV in motors. I've heard too many horror stories of bits of it breaking off inside and plugging oil passages (although those may have been old wives tales).

Quote:
Armor All works well on the grommets, too. Lasts a few months and keeps the rubber pliable.
I tried Armor All first. I like the grease better.

One thing I don't like on this bike is the quick steering; makes it harder to hold a line in a curve. I'm more used to putting some muscle into the steering, and I like it that way. Is there any way to slow it down? All I can think of is lowering the rear a bit, and maybe a steering damper...
PaulX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #2826
TexBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulX View Post

One thing I don't like on this bike is the quick steering; makes it harder to hold a line in a curve. I'm more used to putting some muscle into the steering, and I like it that way. Is there any way to slow it down? All I can think of is lowering the rear a bit, and maybe a steering damper...
That's just the nature of a light bike with wide bars and a 21" front wheel on the highway. Not much you can do about that unless you want to start playing with wheel sizes. Or shorter bars. Of course, your off-road handling will suffer as a result.

-Mark Twain
TexBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #2827
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Quote:
I'm coming from a Ninja 250 to my Sherpa. If you don't like flickability, don't consider a Ninja~!

For myself, I LOVE the "barely give it a thought and it happens" turn-in.

One thought, maybe you are really putting too much input or muscling the bike in turns too much? Holding a line should not be an issue whatsoever.
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #2828
1stgenfarmboy
The Sherpa Man

Oddometer: 952
it screws into the other fork, loosen the clamp and put a wrench on the hex headed axel on the clamp side and unscrew counter clock wise.
1stgenfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #2829
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,800
be careful on replacing it as the spedo gear can be seated wrong and break.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #2830
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Oddometer: 115
New owner

Hey all! First, I'd like to say that this is a fantastic site! Lots of really good info on here.
Well, I had wanted a dual sport for some time, and I finally pulled the trigger on a 2000 Sherpa I found on CL for $1500. I was worried at first that the bike would be a lil too small for me, but I kinda wanted sumn my wife and son could ride around, too. After putting about 400 miles on it, I must say, it is the most fun to ride bike I've owned as of yet. Everything I've owned previously was some model or the other sport bike ( Buell Cyclone, Vfr Interceptor, etc.). Sure, it isn't the raciest bike out there, but runs just as smooth as could be and has plenty of power to get ya where ya need to go. The only downer I've found so far is those brakes, but oh well. Man, it had been quite a while since I rode a dirt bike-styled scooter, and I have been missing out! This, to me, is what motorcycling is all about. Sitting upright and relaxed, not leaned all forward or slouched back, and the go-anywhere-you-want-to-go feeling that comes with a dual sport.
Since acquiring it, we have decided we need to get our hands on another bike. Although my wife can ride it, she is rather short (about 5'1", or 5'2 if you ask her) and would feel much more comfortable if she could plant her feet a little flatter. We figure 2" would suffice. The options or either getting her something with a lower seat height, of which most bikes listed seat height specs dont seem to be more than maybe an inch, or get me something else, maybe bigger, and lower the Sherpa. I know there are lowering links available, but I'd rather not miss with the suspension. I have read on her about shaving foam out of the seat. That is the most appealing option to me, and as the seat cover has a small tear, I was figuring on re-surfacing it any way. Has any one taken this route? If so, how did it turn out? How much was you able to lower it? I would love to hear from someone on this and perhaps see a pic.
BigShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #2831
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Depending on how rough the trails you ride ,lowering with a kouba link will work. My 01 was lowered that way and it was ridden all over N Ga fire roads , farm fields and logging roads with no problem. Clearance on the street never was a problem .
Strange thing the 09 I have hasn't been lowered and the seat height seems within 1/4-1/2 " of the 01.
Check with seat concepts on a aftermarket seat .
Old 07-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #2832
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
Quote:

Have you checked front and rear preload? When I had my Sherpa, I had to put a couple of PVC spacers in e front forks to get the preload set correctly there. That and setting the rear properly made it stable in the curves.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #2833
snare
sittin and breathin

Oddometer: 252
I have a set of Kouba lowering links for the Sherpa I'd be willing to sell.

As for tires, I run Shinko 244s , the 2.75 front (low fender for now, but want to get the Acercbis SuperMoto high fender soon) and 4.10 rear.
I commute and adventure ride gravel and dirt roads around here with no issues, I love the Shinkos. Great, inexpensive tire.

Recently noticed an oil leak from the left side of the engine at the wired neutral switch ( listed as ' Switch-Comp, Neutral 13151-1080 on the fiches), got the metal gasket for it (same PN as the oil drain IIRC , 92065-058 ) and it did not fix it, it seems to be leaking through the switch itself so am going to pick up one of those soon.

LOVING the Sherpa !

Did a four day adventure through the Southern Highlands with a couple of buddies and got between 75-85 mpg loaded.

The Joe Brown Highway (don't believe it, it is not a 'Highway' ) from near Tellico Plains, TN to Murphy, NC along Lake Hiawasee was a highlight for me and the Sherpa.

snare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #2834
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Been on joe brown in the pouring rain ! Fun Fun
Old 07-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #2835
sherpa nige
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Loaded the sherpa up for a weekend in the Bruce Peninsula. Had a good time exploring after dropping the luggage and setting up the hammock. Lots of ATV trails, sand pits, mud pits, fishing spots, nice paved and gravel roads. It's a great place to explore with a dualsport. Some of the beaches have access for cars which makes it really fun! I hope you're able to see the photos