User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #2851
coolteacher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Joined the SS club a couple months ago.

It's a '97 with unknown miles... Looking her over I'd say very few but then it's hard to rack-up real miles in China. Maintenance history has been dubious at best. I had to fab up a generic rear fender and tail lights, change the starter clutch bearing and a bunch of small stuff. Still need to find a new left side panel. She is a blast to ride here.

Great bike for China roads and weather. We'll see how she does in the snow.

2007 Ninja EX250... California bike
1997 Super Sherpa... China bike
coolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #2852
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolteacher View Post
Joined the SS club a couple months ago.

It's a '97 with unknown miles... Looking her over I'd say very few but then it's hard to rack-up real miles in China. Maintenance history has been dubious at best. I had to fab up a generic rear fender and tail lights, change the starter clutch bearing and a bunch of small stuff. Still need to find a new left side panel. She is a blast to ride here.

Great bike for China roads and weather. We'll see how she does in the snow.
That is one serious looking trunk. Is that one that can be bought from regular dealers, etc.., or is it a one-off kind of thing.

On an unrelated note, does anyone use any kind of bolt on aux fuel tank ( roto pax comes to mind) on their Sherpa? I wonder if there's a way to bolt one to the opposite side of the exhaust side, inboard of some soft bags, or a similar set up.
I'd love to see some pictures if you do.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:42 AM   #2853
coolteacher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
That is one serious looking trunk. Is that one that can be bought from regular dealers, etc.., or is it a one-off kind of thing.

The trunk is one of the advantages of living here... It's 3mm aluminum, all seams welded with a pretty near watertight gasket for the lid. Took a bit of searching to find but once I found the source, readily available and fairly cheap... matching panniers available too and customized stainless racks are nearly free.

2007 Ninja EX250... California bike
1997 Super Sherpa... China bike
coolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #2854
Rx4Pain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
[QUOTE=McJamie;21892910]That is one serious looking trunk. Is that one that can be bought from regular dealers, etc.., or is it a one-off kind of thing.

On an unrelated note, does anyone use any kind of bolt on aux fuel tank ( roto pax comes to mind) on their Sherpa? I wonder if there's a way to bolt one to the opposite side of the exhaust side, inboard of some soft bags, or a similar set up.
I'd love to see some pictures if you do.
[/QOUTE]

I have a 30 oz spare fuel bottle that i mounted opposite the exhaust pipe/muffler. I have a pic or two in my ride report for the TAT...and likely here in this thread, back twenty pages or so? It only gives me 15-17 miles, but if you are managing your fuel properly it should be all you need in most situations...unless you are doing some secluded expedition type riding where it is more than 200 miles gas stop to gas stop.

See if this pic works,

Ken

Rx4Pain screwed with this post 07-20-2013 at 12:28 AM
Rx4Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #2855
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 574
Checked my valves today , it was real easy but Im tight on one and a little tight on another . My thinnest gauge is .006 and I could not get it under the front right valve , the rear right I could get my .006 but not my .008 . I noticed it was a little cold natured even since it has warmed up .So now how do I figure out the needed shim ? From what Ive read .008 is the happy place .

NM : I found a chart on my laptop that I downloaded a long while ago , I guess Ill pull the cam to see what the current shim size is . Cant do it now though because my neighbor is blading his yard stirring up dust ..... that guy has no business on heavy equipment , well I guess Ill go out side ,enjoy a beer while watching him screw up his yard some more .

Hawk62cj5 screwed with this post 07-20-2013 at 02:23 PM
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #2856
1stgenfarmboy
The Sherpa Man

Oddometer: 677
Took the little sherpa on my birthday adventure weekend, man I love this little bike, it has a big heart.

1stgenfarmboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #2857
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

I really like your truck , I was going to get a pre fender dodge last time I bought a truck but ended up with an 06 3rd gen .
Old 07-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #2858
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolteacher View Post
The trunk is one of the advantages of living here... It's 3mm aluminum, all seams welded with a pretty near watertight gasket for the lid. Took a bit of searching to find but once I found the source, readily available and fairly cheap... matching panniers available too and customized stainless racks are nearly free.
If you have time and inclination, you should look into exporting some of these to the US & Canada. People would pay for decent alum. boxes and stainless steel (or steel) racks. With the low cost of labour there combined with super-cheap mail service, there could be profit for you and savings + good product for us. You would need to make sure they fit the intended home-market machines. Not sure whether Sherpa, WR250R, CRF250L, KLX250S, etc are the same, probably are.

Look what the big name stuff sells for:

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1...annier-Systems
Old 07-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #2859
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,301
this is new...................

Took my wee Sherpa up north to my trailer for hopefully, a few days riding.
While out yesterday morning, it seems to be a bit down on power. Hard to tell with it being so windy, so I didn't worry about it.

While braking/downshifting onto a dirt road I had been on many times before, the bike sounded a bit louder. I had a different helmet on, so again, didn't give it too much thought.

After a pretty hard run down that road ( mostly big fast sweepers, almost wide open the whole way), again braking/downshifting as I start to re-enter civilization, the bike is definitely louder than when I started. Just before the stop sign, I look down to see the clamp that holds the head pipe to the motor dangling further down the exhaust. I pull over and shut it off to see the head pipe separated from the motor by about an inch or so. Not surprising it was loud.

I take out my phone to call my wife ( she has the truck about an hour away at the trailer), to find that this happens to be the one place in the universe where my phone doesn't seem to have coverage. So I then ride the bike, racket and all about 3 more kms down the road to a much higher elevation point where the phone will work. It does and I'm rescued.

My concern is what kind of damage I might have done. It was certainly loose for an hour or so before it completely fell off.
Has this happened to anyone else? I'm thinking lock washers and a bit of loctite next time.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #2860
tiger seven
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Talking

Picked this up on Wednesday night.

A 2000 with 3,600 miles, garage kept, for only $1700! The bars are bent and it needs few bits (nothing expensive) but I'm pretty stoked. Looks to have been ridden very little, dropped once and put in the garage. At least 75% of the bike looks nearly new. I'm downsizing from a KLR650 and I couldn't be more excited to get out on the Super Sherpa.

Derek

tiger seven screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 05:02 AM
tiger seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:18 AM   #2861
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,188
I have been thinking about getting a bike to ride in the dirt again, and have a list of the usual suspects:
DR200, crf230L, xt225, kl250.
I want something light and not so tall, and with at least a 150 mile range on a tank of gas.
I will likely end up with whatever turns up used at a good price, but I wonder if the Sherpa has any weak points to be aware of, or anything about the bike that really bothers anyone.

The pine barrens start about 5 miles from my house, and its mostly sand and mud, that is why I want a light bike.
I ride solo, so want something that is going to get me home, and its easy to get lost, so I want the range to go 100 miles round trip without being on reserve.

The Sherpa (and the crf230l) seem very rare around here, the dr200 and the xt225 turn up from time to time.
The dr200 might be too small for me at 6 foot, I did ride an xt225 which I thought was a hoot.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #2862
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Nice have fun once you get it fixed .

Mc Jamie , Im pretty new to motorcycles but I have save quite a few small motors run with out an exhaust with out a noticeable issue after they had new mufflers installed.

Brett the biggest issues is cold starting , needs to be rejetted , on some of the older sherpas the seal behind the sprocket pop out . They are the only issues that hit me right off

I adjusted my sherpas valves .... well the one valve that was out of spec . I was able to do it in the dark with one hand since I put a knife in my let hand and of course Im left handed . It wasnt hard to do but the bolt on the bottom of the tensioner was a pain to unscrew . So that slowed me down some , when I reinstalled I moved the carb over which helped access it . It had a 2.95mm shim in it and I went to a 2.80 that got it into spec . I torqued the cam down to 104 in/lbs ..... now Im wondering if I should have put some blue lock tite on it ..
Old 07-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #2863
1stgenfarmboy
The Sherpa Man

Brett, riding trails and fields with some back roads I can get 110-120 before res, so far that's the best I have got, my Sherpa has been jetted for the cold start issue.

with that said, I have owned 7 dual sports from 250-650, and as of now the little SS is my favorite, very light and short...( I am only 5'8") so that makes it easy to manage on trails and creek beads.

the SS will cruse at 60-65 with me and the wife on it, 340lb total.

Dar
Old 07-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #2864
ssmschulz
Sherpa Rider

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgenfarmboy View Post
Brett, riding trails and fields with some back roads I can get 110-120 before res, so far that's the best I have got, my Sherpa has been jetted for the cold start issue.

with that said, I have owned 7 dual sports from 250-650, and as of now the little SS is my favorite, very light and short...( I am only 5'8") so that makes it easy to manage on trails and creek beads.

Dar
I have had the exact experience. Jetted the same, and I am same height. I Currently have the Sherpa and a DRZ400E and the Sherpa is my favorite. I use it for exploring and cruising around due to its comfortable and mild manners. I can single track it like a champ and only find long steep hill climes a challenge. I buy and sell my bigger dualsports every 6-9 months as I have not found that right one, but the sherpa - I will never sell. It is also the most reliable and the lowest maintenance bike I have ever owned.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #2865
1stgenfarmboy
The Sherpa Man

finished up my homemade windshield today, started with a piece of this.

made a template

ended up with this, to form it I heated it with a heat gun very slowly so as not to make bubbles in the plastic, and made some stainless brackets, and being the freak that I am I had to polish them.

we will se how it works in about 10 min.