Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #3316
1stgenfarmboy
The Sherpa Man

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
next time try turning the idle speed adjustment down several turns. The engine will get less air, allowing a richer mixture. Re-adjust your idle after the bike is warmed up. Even a jetted bike will start easier in cold weather this way.

I may have something wrong with my fuel/prime valve or something because I remembered reading that turning the idle down would help in cold starts so I did turn it all the way where the screw was not touching at all......it still cranked and cranked for maybe 30 sec total.

I need to throw this out there though, when I loaded the bike at home I started it up and let it run for 5-7 min and the head pipe was transparent glowing red...is this normal for the bike on high idle or is this telling me the fuel mixture is off.
1stgenfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #3317
MushNB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Mine glows red hot too when I am warming it up. I was told not to worry about it as the rejet would fix this but maybe it won't I guess. So would it be that you are still running lean if the pipe is still glowing?
MushNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #3318
Nonja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma258 View Post
Has anyone put a round headlight on their Sherpa? I'm looking into getting this bike and think that the round headlight would look pretty sweet on it (something along the lines of Baja Designs). Google search reveals nothin'.
User McJamie did. See the bottom of page 204. I really like the round headlight look over the stock rectangular one; really gives the Sherpa class. I'm hoping to do this in the future too.
Nonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #3319
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Oddometer: 184
Carb needle and Red Hot Pipe

Hey Guys,

I've been traveling back and forth from WA to SoCal every few weeks. Fact is, I'm moving there. Anyway, in WA now and the Sherpa I've been rejetting is in SoCal, so I haven't been able to touch it, and likely wont be able to for another month or so... Again, if any one else wants to give it a go, go for it!

As far as the glowing header pipe, it is normal, and I doubt rejetting will resolve it. Out bikes have an emission control that injects fresh air just AFTER the exhaust valve to burn off any unburned fuel out of the cylinder. Especially when the bike is choked (enriched) and even when sitting at idle, there is enough unburned fuel coming out of the cylinder that it ignites and burns in the header pipe. I suspect the issue can become even more prevalent after rejetting, though I haven't had much opportunity to run that Sherpa to see.

In any event, it doesn't hurt the engine at all to do this. I was worried it was going to burn up my exhaust valves, but since all the "afterburn" happens after gases have passed the exhaust valves, all it does is clean up tailpipe emissions without affecting economy or power output. Great passive way to clean up the environment...

By the way, I grew up in SoCal and moved away to WA in 1988. I have to say that Cal's super strict Air Quality Management, though a thorn in most folks side, has worked... I've been going back and forth since the spring and I have yet to see a day remotely close to what I remember from the 70's and 80's.

On a final note on this post, I went to Boise a couple of weeks ago and bought another bike, a 2013 Husqvarna TR650 Terra. Amazing bike. It's a shame that with BMW's sale of Husky, that Husky has dropped this 650.

All in all, I still like my Sherpa's better!!!!!!
Rey & Vann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #3320
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonja View Post
User McJamie did. See the bottom of page 204. I really like the round headlight look over the stock rectangular one; really gives the Sherpa class. I'm hoping to do this in the future too.
I really like the look of McJamie's bike, but I also dig my bike's stock look: Army green, low fender, square headlight... I liked it from the first time I saw it - intrinsically cool! Still, if I was going for a change, this would be the way to go.
ChicoProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #3321
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoProf View Post
I really like the look of McJamie's bike, but I also dig my bike's stock look: Army green, low fender, square headlight... I liked it from the first time I saw it - intrinsically cool! Still, if I was going for a change, this would be the way to go.
Thanks

Most people don't know what it is even after they get close to it.
Over the winter I'm going to come up with a better mount for that headlight. What i have now was cobbled with stuff I had lying around. It looks like it, plus it keeps needing adjusting, it's not as solid as I would like.
I do however love my high-end, colour matched, Tourtech, beer/vinyl album transportation module though. For some reason though, it had a "Mother's Pizza Parlour & Spaghetti House" sticker on it. I guess I've had it for a while
Old 10-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #3322
roma258
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonja View Post
Looks great, definitely a look I'll be going for!
roma258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #3323
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

China bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modron View Post
Lots of good info here! keep it coming.

Im thinking if i should get this bike.....I want to buy a dual sport bike here in China and cant make up my mind if I should get this one with 30k on the clock or a brand new China bike like this one click, they are more or less the same price
Modron,
These look like very different bikes from the little I can see on the China bike. The Sherpa is a great all-arounder, perfect for errands and moderate off-road, though capable of almost anything. I think that China bike is a motocross-style bike, likely intended for mostly dirt-riding even if it is street-legal. Looking at the picture, I'd guess it is much taller, giving you clearance and suspension the Sherpa isn't designed for. 30K on the sherpa is a lot of disance, though... I wouldn't personally give much for a bike with that kind of mileage. Others with more mechanical skills may disagree.
Brian
Old 10-31-2013, 08:51 PM   #3324
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 372
Thumb Sherpa

I really like the look of these bikes almost like a older twin shock Trials eg. Honda TL250 with range and a bit of comfort. Gonna have to keep an eye out for a used one in my area
Old 11-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #3325
Modron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Modron,
These look like very different bikes from the little I can see on the China bike. The Sherpa is a great all-arounder, perfect for errands and moderate off-road, though capable of almost anything. I think that China bike is a motocross-style bike, likely intended for mostly dirt-riding even if it is street-legal. Looking at the picture, I'd guess it is much taller, giving you clearance and suspension the Sherpa isn't designed for. 30K on the sherpa is a lot of disance, though... I wouldn't personally give much for a bike with that kind of mileage. Others with more mechanical skills may disagree.
Brian
Thanks for that Brian. I know that they are different bikes but due to really high import taxes in China i dont have much choice (in my price range). This China bike is really tall (958mm seat height), Im also considering a 250cc oil cooled qingqi which is sold in the UK under different name (pulse adrenaline or something) but its a bit more pricey. Anyway, its a nice dilemma to have :)
Modron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #3326
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Question Part of the fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modron View Post
Thanks for that Brian. I know that they are different bikes but due to really high import taxes in China i dont have much choice (in my price range). This China bike is really tall (958mm seat height), Im also considering a 250cc oil cooled qingqi which is sold in the UK under different name (pulse adrenaline or something) but its a bit more pricey. Anyway, its a nice dilemma to have :)
It's a great dilemma to have! I had fun just looking at bikes in shops and on craigslist until I found my Sherpa. I also was weighing very different bikes, from xt250s through the new Honda CB500s and BMW F700s. I just don't think I'd go with a bike that has 30K miles on it, especially if it was priced the same as a brand new bike that was known to be reliable. But, I while I don't mind tinkering with my bike, I don't have the skill or the patience to do the big jobs. What are you primarily going to do with your new bike? Another trip across China? Tooling around town? Jumping 4' stumps?
Old 11-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #3327
Modron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
It's a great dilemma to have! I had fun just looking at bikes in shops and on craigslist until I found my Sherpa. I also was weighing very different bikes, from xt250s through the new Honda CB500s and BMW F700s. I just don't think I'd go with a bike that has 30K miles on it, especially if it was priced the same as a brand new bike that was known to be reliable. But, I while I don't mind tinkering with my bike, I don't have the skill or the patience to do the big jobs. What are you primarily going to do with your new bike? Another trip across China? Tooling around town? Jumping 4' stumps?
For touring around I have a YBR250 with 19k on the clock and I only bought it in April hahah. The new one is strictly for some off-road fun but since I never had an off-roader Im a bit concerned about this really tall bike. Might be hard to handle in for a noob. Id like to buy this but for now I cant justify buying 2 new bikes in a country which I might end up leaving in a few months (also might staying forever....dunno)
Hows your SS off-road? most be tones of fun!
Modron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #3328
ANFRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Long time lurker, first time poster here. A little while ago, I picked this up for my girlfriend...

It's a nearly mint 2000 Super Sherpa with just over 3k miles. The guy who was selling it was in the middle of a divorce and needed cash, and he let it go for $1000. I couldn't pass that up!

My girlfriend is an experienced rider, but is small in stature. She needs bikes that are 300lbs. or less and have 30" seat heights. Her previous dual sport was an XT225, but it was getting long in the tooth. The Super Sherpa will replace it nicely. I'm going to build it into a mini adventure bike for her.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #3329
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANFRider View Post
Long time lurker, first time poster here. A little while ago, I picked this up for my girlfriend...

It's a nearly mint 2000 Super Sherpa with just over 3k miles. The guy who was selling it was in the middle of a divorce and needed cash, and he let it go for $1000. I couldn't pass that up!

My girlfriend is an experienced rider, but is small in stature. She needs bikes that are 300lbs. or less and have 30" seat heights. Her previous dual sport was an XT225, but it was getting long in the tooth. The Super Sherpa will replace it nicely. I'm going to build it into a mini adventure bike for her.
Great looking find, and a heck of a deal!
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #3330
ANFRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Thanks! My girlfriend has put a couple hundred miles on it already, and she loves it. I've ridden it too, and its a fun bike. It's going to be my project for the winter.