Oddometer: 3,062
Congrats!
Old 05-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #813
rawdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock
I had a Sherpa in college, and I loved it. To this day, it is one of my favorite bikes of all time. I put 40k hard miles on it in 4 years, and that included serious off road riding, and riding 500 mile round trip from Grand Junction, CO to Denver, CO at ~70 mph. It never broke down once, and all I ever did to it was change the oil and filter and replace parts on it when I broke them after a crash. Here are some pictures:

great post. I like the pics. Nice field testing.
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #814
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog
great post. I like the pics. Nice field testing.
Thanks. Had some real fun on that bike.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #815
CLynn85
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Tire Pressure

What do you guys recommend for tire pressure for a sportier tire on the Sherpa?

Mine came with a set of Bridgestone BattleAx tires and I have no idea what I should run for air pressure. Any ideas?

Press on!
CLynn85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #816
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLynn85
What do you guys recommend for tire pressure for a sportier tire on the Sherpa?

Mine came with a set of Bridgestone BattleAx tires and I have no idea what I should run for air pressure. Any ideas?
The manual and the tyre placard recommend 21psi front and 21 to 25psi rear, depending on load.

I recently replaced my original Bridgestone Trailwings with Pirelli MT21s. The Trailwings were pretty good on bitumen even at 12,000km and nearly worn out. The rear Pirelli is a bit squirrelly under heavy brakes on tar, but otherwise they're similar on road and seem better off road.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #817
dukejapan
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Question No spark, no joy

I have recently been given a 2001 super sherpa. the previous owner wiped out and bent the forks. It sat 2-3 months on the side of the road. It still looks OK-ish and I have replaced the forks, jump started it from my car and it ran great! that was 3 days ago. now it won't start. there is NO spark. I have checked the fuses and run/kill switch, nothing. where should I look next? cdi, coil, ???. Since I have so little invested in it (about $100 for the forks) I would be willing to replace any component, but hesitate to use the shotgun approach of replacing ALL of them.

ps
where is the cdi located

pps
I have downloaded the owners manual, parts diagrams, but would love the service manual.

thank in advance
dukejapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #818
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukejapan
I have recently been given a 2001 super sherpa. the previous owner wiped out and bent the forks. It sat 2-3 months on the side of the road. It still looks OK-ish and I have replaced the forks, jump started it from my car and it ran great! that was 3 days ago. now it won't start. there is NO spark. I have checked the fuses and run/kill switch, nothing. where should I look next? cdi, coil, ???. Since I have so little invested in it (about $100 for the forks) I would be willing to replace any component, but hesitate to use the shotgun approach of replacing ALL of them.
There's a clutch safety switch, a sidestand switch, and a neutral switch. Any of those could be the culprit. I also had issues with broken wires in the wiring harness on my Sherpa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukejapan
ps
where is the cdi located
Under the seat, directly in front of/underneath the air box snorkel. Take off the seat and you'll see it. I would bet money that the CDI unit itself is fine, but check ALL of your wires and connectors, since the bike sat so long.

The Yahoo super sherpa group is an excellent resource for servicing info, and there are parts of the manual scanned in in the files section there.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #819
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333
There's a clutch safety switch, a sidestand switch, and a neutral switch. Any of those could be the culprit. I also had issues with broken wires in the wiring harness on my Sherpa.
Since the bike was running a few days ago, you're probably not looking for accident damage. But check there are no signs of damage to the switch gear (clutch switch, kill switch and ignition switch) or the associated wiring.

The Sherpa will crank but not fire if the kill switch is off and will cut out when the clutch is released if the sidestand is down and the bike is in gear.

Always check all connectors in a circuit before getting into an expensive remove-replace experiment. The most common places for electrical failures are connectors, fuses, anywhere there is a join in a wire.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:01 PM   #820
scottro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
KLR that looks like a Sherpa.

I have no involvement in this listing, but I had to look twice when I first saw it in the local Craigslist. At first glance, it looks like a Sherp. It's near Pittsburgh, PA. Seller's name is Scott, but it's not me.

BTW, there's still a used 2000 Sherpa for sale at a local dealer. It's in pretty good shape & the tag says $1750.

2001 Kawasaki KLR 250 - $1850 (New Brighton PA)

Date: 2010-05-31, 7:46PM EDT
Reply to: sale-rqbuu-1768680750@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Well maintained, good condition, 5800 miles. Approximately 75-85 miles per gallon. Contact Scott for more info 724-843-1727.

PostingID: 1768680750
scottro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:36 AM   #821
Turborob
Minimalist.

Oddometer: 593
Talking Pegs

Ladies and gents.

Put on some new footpegs over the last couple of nights.

Don’t worry; it won’t take you that long, I just haven’t had the opportunity for much shed time this week.

Firstly, when I rode the Sherpa (now forth will be called the ‘Derpa’) I noticed how incywincy the footpegs were compared to other steeds. Something had to be done – change was in the air…..

Had some cheap pegs lying around – thought I would try them…….

Welcome to – how to get big sexy pegs!

Pull off stock pegs (pull out split pin and take out bolt).

The pegs I made fit were for a TW200. They are slightly too big to slide right in as it. A (very) quick file of the outside of the pegs and inside of the footpeg mounts on the bike and they can squeeze in. If you have a vice, or a sander you could sand them more and use the spring again. I don’t like my pegs moving.

Also, the TW pegs will have to be drilled larger! I used a 10mm drill bit which was about perfect. Again, much easier if you have a vice and don’t have the pegs suddenly spinning in your hand when the drill bites……

So, you’ve drilled out the hole; done 4 seconds of sanding/filing – time to replace! You now have a bigger footpeg! Those little split pins are a PITA, change to something else if you wish; I found a wind up window clip used to hold the winder on manual window cars and it’s much better. Split pins for the rear axel will be too big.

Now, have a drink and repeat on the other side!

Now that you’re done, you’ll have BIG SEXY PEGS!

HOLY SHIT! MY TUFF BOOTS JUST SUDDENLY CHANGED INTO HEELS! LOOKOUT – SEXY DERPA TIME!

The best rider is the one who enjoys it most.
Turborob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:16 AM   #822
dukejapan
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez
Since the bike was running a few days ago, you're probably not looking for accident damage. But check there are no signs of damage to the switch gear (clutch switch, kill switch and ignition switch) or the associated wiring.

The Sherpa will crank but not fire if the kill switch is off and will cut out when the clutch is released if the sidestand is down and the bike is in gear.

Always check all connectors in a circuit before getting into an expensive remove-replace experiment. The most common places for electrical failures are connectors, fuses, anywhere there is a join in a wire.

So I took the kill switch apart and jump-wired the contacts, still nothing! when it worked after the first start up, it fired right up ever after. Until now, so I agree there is no obvious damage from the wreck. All of the other electrical systems seem to be working OK, ie lights, signals, instruments.

Q: When will the bike turn over with no spark? I know when the kill switch is in OFF, but how about the clutch or side stand.

Q: Do I need to use a continuity tester to check all the wires?
dukejapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #823
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,219
A Sherpa Adventure

I rode my recently acquired Sherpa to this event a couple of weeks ago. The KL250 performed quite well over the 740 mile trek and convinced me I made a good move in getting one.
One fellow at the meet rode his SS from Kansas. His RT mileage was over 2400 miles.
Enjoy the pics here....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post13116961
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #824
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Non-fancy, Non-tricky modifications for the following:

Looking for the following:

handlebar risers that actually fit and require no extra work. That should be easy to find.

better handlebars that require no extra work than to change it out. This should be easy, right?

elevated after market fender that is the KLR army green. I found one on the net for 78ish bucks but now I can't find it again.

hand guards that don't require any cable extension. I'd prefer the ones that have the "U" shape on the sides since they are found to be safer for a crash.

Forget the bigger gas tank. Seems like there isn't one without welding or modifications. So I'm stiking to a gas can strapped to the back of the bike or gas jug pannier.

Any links would be appreciated.

Thanks, Super Suz
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:40 AM   #825
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,396
Thumb Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz
Looking for the following:

hand guards that don't require any cable extension. I'd prefer the ones that have the "U" shape on the sides since they are found to be safer for a crash.

Any links would be appreciated.

Thanks, Super Suz
TUSK ...
Fit great and easy to install - no cutting of the levers is required.

Check out the following post earlier in this thread ...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=485

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=487

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=688