Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #826
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz
Forget the bigger gas tank. Seems like there isn't one without welding or modifications.

Any links would be appreciated.
No welding.
No modifications. (well, a new tank is a modification)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256909
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=10
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=11

The only mutilation of original parts is holes in the concealed (and cheap, replaceable) rubber mounts:

eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #827
kingbee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Looking for the following:

handlebar risers that actually fit and require no extra work. That should be easy to find.

better handlebars that require no extra work than to change it out. This should be easy, right?

elevated after market fender that is the KLR army green. I found one on the net for 78ish bucks but now I can't find it again.

hand guards that don't require any cable extension. I'd prefer the ones that have the "U" shape on the sides since they are found to be safer for a crash.

Forget the bigger gas tank. Seems like there isn't one without welding or modifications. So I'm stiking to a gas can strapped to the back of the bike or gas jug pannier.

Any links would be appreciated.

Thanks, Super Suz
The KLR 250 fender is the one you want. Get it here: http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Bran...h%20Fender.htm

Or from Bike Bandit or wherever you get OEM parts. I believe 2000 through 2003 were the years the fender was "army green", but verify that before you order.

Why not skip the bar risers, and just get taller bars? A "CR High" bend will be taller than stock; you may not be able to go much more without messing with the cables.

Cheers,
Dave
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #828
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
great!

Thanks so much, guys.

I have a handlebar and bark busters on order.
I also have a new part on order too. I'll take pics of the damage that a little rock did when it got stuck in between the little sproket and the stem that comes out from the engine. Tore up the rubber and silicone seals in there and all the oil dripped out.

I hope to post a sweet milk crate "givi" that the local Super Sherpa Wiz did to his bike. He replaced the storage frame with a wood panel base and then locked down a nice milk crate to the back. On the crate, he attached two bike panniers with nuts and bolts on either side of the outside of the milk crate. He uses one side for a tent and the other for a sleeping bag. I think I'm going to try to replicate it.

Maybe I can do that tank replacement. It would be nice to get more miles before gas. I almost ran out on the way home from the llocal shop last weekend. Had to put her on reserve.
Again, thanks!

Suz
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #829
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
I almost ran out on the way home from the llocal shop last weekend. Had to put her on reserve.
You know that the reserve in the standard Sherpa tank is 1/3 of the total capacity? If you've done 100 miles when you hit reserve, you've got another 50 miles to go.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #830
Andrew S
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Rear Shock Wanted

My wife is now the proud owner of a 2000 Super Sherpa, complete with blown rear shock. Great bike, but right now it is like riding a pogo stick since there is absolutely no rear dampening.

Any one have a rear shock collecting dust that you would like to sell? Thanks for any help, and enjoy the weekend.
Andrew S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #831
kingbee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Andrew,
Replied to your post on the Yahoo group also- The rear shock can be rebuilt. Any good motorcycle shop should be able to do it. Lots cheaper than a new shock, and who knows how long a used one will last?

Had mine rebuilt at least 4 years ago, still going strong.

Cheers,
Dave
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #832
waipuna
Backroad Scratcher

Oddometer: 30
Question Alternative shock

Do,es anyone know if any alternative shock fits.
You may find something cheap,on ebay.
waipuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #833
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schauer
Any one have a rear shock collecting dust that you would like to sell? Thanks for any help, and enjoy the weekend.
Check with inmate Sasquatch here on ADVRider. Chances are he can rebuild it for you, maybe even better than stock.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #834
Andrew S
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thanks for the tip tomatoe333. I sent a PM to Sasquatch, we'll see what happens.
Andrew S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #835
MagyarMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Sherpa fit?

Hi ya folks,

I've got a lead on a 2009 super sherpa , new . My question is will we fit together or is this a relationship not suited to me? I'm 6'2" tall , 220 lbs. with a 34" inseam. Just wan t to do rides 100 to 400 miles per day on back roads. What think Ye ??????
MagyarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #836
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagyarMan
Hi ya folks,

I've got a lead on a 2009 super sherpa , new . My question is will we fit together or is this a relationship not suited to me? I'm 6'2" tall , 220 lbs. with a 34" inseam. Just wan t to do rides 100 to 400 miles per day on back roads. What think Ye ??????
I think there are probably other bikes out there better suited to your size. The Sherpa is a great do anything bike for shorter riders, & great fun for anybody for short range stuff & learning some dirt skillz. For someone 6'2" however something taller like the KLX250 or WR250R would be a much better fit no matter what type of riding you are doing (If it's a 250 you are after).

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #837
mike21b
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Hi ya folks,

Have ever taken a ride on a Yamaha XT-225/250 or a Suzuki DR200?

They feel about the same, sitting on them.

From the Yahoo Groups Sherpa list, I know plenty of tall guys who have Sherpas and are happy with them. I also know a few tall guys who would rather be on a taller bike like the KLX-250 or WR-250
mike21b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #838
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Hi ya folks,

I'm really enjoying my Sherpa, but...
I agree with the above opinions. I am 5'11" and the knees feel a bit more folded up than when on my DR350 and KLR250. Not that bad, but if I had as long of legs as yours it might feel a bit cramped. Taking measurements from the top of the seat and the pegs might help comparing..
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #839
MagyarMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
mike21b,clintnz,driller, Thanks for your input. I guess I'm a bit too tall for the super sherpa,but I'm going to see it tomorrow and sit on it just to see if I can live with it. Thanks again.

MagyarMan
MagyarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #840
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Any one use No-toil oil on the SS air cleaner??
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote