Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2007, 06:45 AM   #31
Steve SA
Adv Wannabe

Oddometer: 54
Thank you for that report. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Steve SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:12 AM   #32
arcticIndian OP
indian rider

Oddometer: 239
More to come next week.. :)

now it's time to ride the red italian plastic doll over the hills and far away (still within Norway though)
The one on the right..
arcticIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:01 AM   #33
arcticIndian OP
indian rider

.. while waiting for the ferry in the morning (in Seydisfjordur) I shot a picture of the bike..and the bystanders.

one more night in the ferry between Seydisfjordur and the Faroe islands.. but this time the 6 man cabin was near empty..
Talked a lot with some other riders, they had lots to tell from their own trips in Iceland. Like dumping the bike in the water crossings at the Sprengirsandur route etc..and fuel, or the lack of fuel, had been a problem for several.

Early the next morning we arrived in Torshavn in the Faroe Islands, and I joined an american, Brian, on a trip around the Island. He was being relocated to London, and spent some weeks with his KTM 950 adventure in Iceland and Scotland.

Well, the Faroe Islands is just 115 kilometers from top to bottom.. so even before lunch we had seen a lot of it.

The view from Tjørnuvik (north in the Islands)

Then we rode over to another island and stopped in Gjøgv (?)
Lots of sheep in the roads, there are some 80000 of them in the Faroe Island. And some 50000 people living there.

The chief bluesmoke study the landscape.

Then we rode the tunnel west towards Klaksvik.. but we soon found rain, and eventually a place to eat. Klaksvik was a quiet place. Since the rain was not going to stop, we headed back towards Torshavn.

The bluesmoke's generator had been acting strange all day long, and just before riding into a dark tunnel I noticed that it was not charging...
And just inside the totally dark tunnel...the bike misfired and then just over halfway it stopped.
There were no lights in the tunnel and no room to push the bike out on the road.. two cars then came through the tunnel at way above the speedlimit.. and since they must have been blind also, I had to lean the bike to the tunnel wall to avoid a crash...
and while struggling to find my flashlight...I noticed a big vehicle coming in my lane..
Old 09-11-2007, 08:43 AM   #34
buzzardair
Shrubbery Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
buzzardair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:58 AM   #35
jonnycowboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
great report so far, looks like a fun place for adventure riding!! are there any ADV members there?
jonnycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:03 AM   #36
arcticIndian OP
indian rider

...oh shit.. oh shit it's a bus !
I had tried to back the bike out of the tunnel..but the rear tire got stuck in something.. and now the front of the bike was halfway out in the lane.
And it was not a fullwidth lane either, and meeting traffic..
And off course the bus was approaching me at probably 90km/h instead of the allowed 60km/h.
And off course the bike was in gear, and I couldn't find neutral or reach the clutch pedal on the other side of the bike.

So.. this is the end!
At least for the chief bluesmoke..and I was not in a safe spot either..

Since the blind #%%#& in the bus didn't show any signs of slowing down, I grabbed the handlebar and lifted the bike as close to the tunnel wall as possible..

The bus driver braked just seconds before and managed to miss me and the bike.
Just after, two cars coming in both directions turned on their emergency flashers and slowed down. They had seen me as soon as they entered the tunnel..

Time to get some new glasses..or slow down in dark tunnels..maybe ??

With a car following me, I rolled out the tunnel and into safety.
Then a harley guy stopped, and Brian had turned around to see where I went. We tried to fix the generator, without luck.. but managed to ride through the tunnel with the two bikes in front and back.
Tried to find a battery, regulator or at least a voltmeter in the gas stations.. but they had nothing but soda and hotdogs.

Bought a 12v rechargeable flashlight.. and rode with that battery for a short distance until it was out of power.
The harley guy left, but gave me a number to the harley dealer in Torshavn, and eventually I had to call him. A friend of him came with a pickup later, and transported the indian the last 20 kilometers to Torshavn.
This was the second time I have ever needed transportation of the bike..

Back in Torshavn I parked the bike in the harley workshop, and put the battery on the charger.
The next day I spent several hours in the workshop, trying to repolarize the generator and fix the regulator.. But the regulator was fried, it was cooking the battery. So I had to ride without lights..and hope to find a regulator when returning to Norway. I need to say thanks the harley guys in Torshavn for all their help!! Now.. this was the 3rd harley dealership where I had to work on my bike on this trip...:)
The next days where spent in and around Torshavn.. some beer and partying together with the other bikers.

The harbour in Torshavn. Fresh pilot whale meat, from a whale hunt (Grindadrap) the night before.

sosial urine ? it's a newspaper..

After nearly getting killed in the Faroe Island..but still meeting a whole lot of nice people... it was time to get back on the ferry to eat and drink some more... a short stop in Scrabster, Scotland in the evening.. and another night in the torture chamber down in the bottom of the boat.:)

The western coast of Norway

Now, it was only a matter of finding a new regulator.. and head for the Norwegian Indian club summermeet... but...
Old 09-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #37
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,316
This is a great story. I have to go to Iceland and the Faroe Islands now.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #38
iamrs1215
Bike Nut

Oddometer: 29
I thought lived an exciting life. I had an Indian so I know some of the things you have gone through. Thank you for sharing.
2008 KTM 250 XCF-W
2008 KTM 300 XCW
2001 KTM Rallye 660
1999 Gas Gas 200
iamrs1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #39
Neil E.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
"Chief Bluesmoke says: this is some weird shit.. we're no gonna ride out there.. are we?"

Excellent report!
Neil E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #40
arcticIndian OP
indian rider

Now for a small treat..

A short video (edited) from the ride to landmannalaugar..

http://www.kristjansson.dk/vlog/indian.mov

I hope we don't overload his server..
Old 09-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #41
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticIndian
Now for a small treat..

A short video (edited) from the ride to landmannalaugar..

http://www.kristjansson.dk/vlog/indian.mov

I hope we don't overload his server..
Go Chief Bluesmoke go! GREAT video-GREAT report! Thanks for sharing.
linkweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:17 PM   #42
G B
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
The roads that the rally cars use are the roads that go by Kleifarvatn and Djúpavatn, you need more Hp to get the right experience, 300+ Hp rally car or a KTM 525.
G B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:24 PM   #43
arcticIndian OP
indian rider

Well..maybe..

Still, it's hard to beat the fun and the good feeling of riding an old motorcycle I put together myself.. can't buy that feeling when buying something new.
And while I have to ride slower since I only have some 50++ hp (lots of torque though) to play with..and the lack of proper suspension travel.. I don't baby the bike.
I like the fact that it provides pretty much the same excitement just at a lower speed...unlike my ducati etc.. may save my neck one day.

I would love to try a rallycar on those roads..must be fun:)

And actually..I'm considering a adventure bike instead of the ducati.. maybe ktm..
But not sure if I want a thumper or a v-twin. I need a bike that can do commuting (but not everyday) and longer trip, and the occasional gravel road riding.
But I find the large capacity bikes to be quite expensive here.. a used ktm 950 adventrue is double the price of a 640..

arcticIndian screwed with this post 09-12-2007 at 11:34 PM
Old 09-13-2007, 08:49 AM   #44
Regbafazool
Gregarious Pariah

Oddometer: 597
Thank you so much, arcticindian!!

Your report is very inspirational! I really agree that today's culture is one
of simply replacing that which has broken......very little incentive to actually
work on or repair the things we love.

I also am much happier covering distances on older machines! Your pictures
and video really capture the spirit of accomplishing a difficult trip using your
own ingenuity and skills!

I am highly motivated by your report, because I am actually trying to purchase an Indian Chief at this very moment(I sadly lost an auction for
a '47 chief a couple of days ago!). Anyway, I know their is one out there
waiting for a new custodian.

Unfortunately, I may have to part with my beloved '34 Sunbeam Model 80,
to help fund the Indian purchase. Seen here getting a little clutch
work of its own!

Luckily, I still have my 1922 Henderson DeLuxe Four Project to keep me
happy !

Look forward to more ride reports with ol' Chief Bluesmoke!

Cheers!
Regbafazool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:55 AM   #45
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,444
Absolutely wonderful.