User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2007, 05:54 AM   #1
mjg OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Does ATGATT have a downside?

No, I'm not recommending riding without adequate safety gear: thanks for asking.

But I keep reading Face plant reports where the rider has apparently (I recognize the difficulty of communicating in this medium) made a significant error and been involved in what was very likely an avoidable accident. Often those folks are very proud of the fact they were ATGATT but gloss over their responsibility in the wreck which IMO is much more important.

Is it possible we're worried too much about dressing properly and not enough on riding properly? Can ATGATT give us a false sense of security?

(And BTW: damned if I know. I just hoped it would make for interesting discussion.)
mjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:11 AM   #2
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,975
I've crashed on the street and the track and I'll be the first to admit it was my fault. The leathers saved my skin both times so I'm a firm believer in ATGATT. I won't say it gives me a false sense of security but riding in anything less makes me feel extremely vulnerable. Frankly, the nightly 20+ mile bicycle ride is much more dangerous. Worst wreck I've had was during a bicycle race. Road rash hurts. So does having a Shimano 105 cassette grind your right ankle into hamburger meat.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:21 AM   #3
Random
Quiet Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,637
Yes, No, Maybe

Just like people that have four wheel drive cars and trucks can become over confident in their vehicle's ability to go anywhere, riders that wear ATGATT can begin to feel invulnerable. We're dressed up like football players, what can hurt us? So yes, it's possible.

I don't think I push the envelope so, no not me.

The downside issues I see are, heat, dehydration, ridicule. My Darien is hot in Ohio's August heat and humidity. On longer trips I drink water by the gallon to stay hydrated. When I ride with a group, rarely, I'm almost always the only one ATGATT. They make fun of me . I'm almost always the last one ready to go after rest/fuel breaks.

Then again I don't get wet when it rains. I don't get hit in the eye by June Bugs. I only had a little bitty bruise when I had my only get off :knockwood.

Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:27 AM   #4
motogon
Like wind

Oddometer: 1,012
In my opinion many suit (including Roadcrafter) way too bulky for normal riding. They actually limit your ability to move and properly react on road hazards. By definition riding motorcycle about (especially off-road): motorcycle constantly loosing balance and rider constantly make correction by steering and balancing with body movement.
That’s why after I tried couple suits I stopped one that provides just enough protection and less limiting. Same with boots, gloves and helmet.

motogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:28 AM   #5
MoMan
PigPen

Oddometer: 671
Crashing is inevitable, skill has nothing to do with it. Everyone will crash, it's just a matter of when, how bad and how often. A motorcyclist could only crash once in their lifetime while others (who shall remain nameless) seem to have a problem with gravity pulling them down.

A lot of riders don't practice ATGATT (though not of this forum) and they are silent in their embarrassment and/or pain.

The only downside to ATGATT...it takes longer to get ready for a ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charis
No, I'm not recommending riding without adequate safety gear: thanks for asking.

But I keep reading Face plant reports where the rider has apparently (I recognize the difficulty of communicating in this medium) made a significant error and been involved in what was very likely an avoidable accident. Often those folks are very proud of the fact they were ATGATT but gloss over their responsibility in the wreck which IMO is much more important.

Is it possible we're worried too much about dressing properly and not enough on riding properly? Can ATGATT give us a false sense of security?

(And BTW: damned if I know. I just hoped it would make for interesting discussion.)
Old 09-06-2007, 06:41 AM   #6
Ceej
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Theres plenty of downsides to wearing gear, but none of them are at all related to your riding skill. Skill is skill, gear isn't going to change that. Gear will, however, be a pain in the ass to put on/take off, smell bad, get dirty, cost a lot, be hot and not look cool. I'm still going to wear it.
Ceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:44 AM   #7
Berserker 1
Getting lost since 1972!

Oddometer: 40
I don't recall ever seeing or hearing...

anyone comment "Dang I wish I hadn't had all that gear on when I wrecked!" or "That minute 30 it took to get my gear on was a total waste of time!" But I have seen a few riders with their back, arms, shoulders, knee's looking like hamburger, with grit ground into the skin and bone, plenty of which was left on the asphalt. Then spending a couple of months getting over their wreck.

In my wreck last June, if I hadn't hit the guard rail breaking my arm, I would have gotten up and walked away from a 55 mph get off. I still got up and walked away.

It's a choice, kind of like skydiving with or without a parachute.

For me...ATGATT always!

Berserker 1 screwed with this post 09-06-2007 at 07:02 AM
Berserker 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:47 AM   #8
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMan
Crashing is inevitable, skill has nothing to do with it. Everyone will crash, it's just a matter of when, how bad and how often. A motorcyclist could only crash once in their lifetime while others (who shall remain nameless) seem to have a problem with gravity pulling them down.

A lot of riders don't practice ATGATT (though not of this forum) and they are silent in their embarrassment and/or pain.

The only downside to ATGATT...it takes longer to get ready for a ride.
I have people at work ask me "Isn't it a pain to put on all that gear every time you ride?" To which I reply "less painful than healing!" ;-) To me it's just part of the ride so no big deal. And yes I have crashed, and yes it was totally my fault, but what difference does it make, the gear protected my body so I simply got up and walked away. the only mark I have from that crash is a small burn on my ankle where my boot buckle got so hot dragging along the ground trapped under the bike it burned my ankle through the thick engineer boot leather. I just cringe seeing anyone riding in shoes / sneakers.

I will concede that at times wearing my full face helmet and all my gear, that I feel a little invincible. Nothing like when riding my dirt bike with helmet, boots, gloves, jersey, chest protector and pants where I feel vulnerable ALL the time and just know it's gonna hurt when I crash.

Kinda on this same subject, why do dirt riders wear so little gear? Our son just crashed doing about 50mph down a gravel road and scraped up his arms pretty good. he just had on a t-shirt cause his riding jersey was dirty, but the jersey wouldn't have helped him here either. He always wears his helmet, mx boots, gloves and riding pants.

Jodie and I just bought the DRs and are starting to do some dual sport rides and she was looking for some gear, specifically pants and a jacket and was kinda surprised when she started looking at pants. Most of them don't even have any protection on the hips and jerseys's are a joke. I wear a chest protector, cause I banged my ribs on one of my falls a few years ago.

bross screwed with this post 09-06-2007 at 06:54 AM
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:49 AM   #9
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,362
I admit it...I ride far more "aggressively" in my leathers than in cordura gear. I think that's what you're getting at.
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:49 AM   #10
ctfz1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Choices.
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:05 AM   #11
motogon
Like wind

Oddometer: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
Kinda on this same subject, why do dirt riders wear so little gear? Our son just crashed doing about 50mph down a gravel road and scraped up his arms pretty good. he just had on a t-shirt cause his riding jersey was dirty, but the jersey wouldn't have helped him here either. He always wears his helmet, mx boots, gloves and riding pants.
Because on dirt bike you have to move to balance a lot, if you don't have enough flexibility or you have restrictive gear you will fall A LOT!
That's why dirt bikes have tiny narrow seats - it's not for seating.

motogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:11 AM   #12
Dirtgeek

Oddometer: n/a
when i feel some complacency creeping in (like yesterday) its time stay vigilant about the riding gear. i feel i have a responsibility to my family to wear the gear so if i do go down then i'll have done what i can to minimize the injuries. i also think its important to practice basic riding skills...think emergency stops at the local comm. college parking lot.

as far as worrying too much about it i think its more important to not get complacent. it also helps to have gear that you don't mind putting on. if you don't like the gear you have you may be more apt to not wear it. if you get stuff that looks good, is well made, and climate specific i feel you will won't mind putting it on. sorry i rambled on.

as far as the original question: i like to think that the ones that are atgatt prolly are more apt to stay up on their riding skills as well.

al
Old 09-06-2007, 07:18 AM   #13
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogon
Because on dirt bike you have to move to balance a lot, if you don't have enough flexibility or you have restrictive gear you will fall A LOT!
That's why dirt bikes have tiny narrow seats - it's not for seating.
LOL, very true.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:27 AM   #14
MayQueen
Reality is unrealistic.

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceej
Gear will, however, be a pain in the ass to put on/take off, smell bad, get dirty, cost a lot, be hot and not look cool.
Pretty new here and just got my endorsement, so my opinion may not carry much weight, but I have to say that as I have been observing riders out on the streets, I am finding that the ones in full gear look the coolest by far.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:34 AM   #15
Dirtgeek

Oddometer: n/a
mayqueen do you have a moto yet? reason i'm asking is cause my wife is going to take the brc next month and at some point will want her own moto. whats important to you as far as type of bike, height, style...that sort of stuff.

thanks

al