Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2007, 07:39 AM   #16
nick_t
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
I have people at work ask me "Isn't it a pain to put on all that gear every time you ride?" To which I reply "less painful than healing!" ;-)

man, that sums it up for me.

it may take a few more minutes to put on my gear, but if it saves my skin (literally), it's totally worth it.

i also get made fun of for putting on lots of gear, but it doesn't bother me. i actually feel a little compassion for the people making fun of me -- they won't be laughing when they have ground chuck for elbows.

on that note, i went and saw Dave Ramsey the other day. he brought up the situation when people ridicule you for driving a beat-up car or not eating out all the time -- i.e. spending money you don't have. he pointed out that he would rather be weird and debt-free than like all his friends -- broke and normal.

i would rather be weird and have skin, than be "cool" and flesh-less.

nick
nick_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:43 AM   #17
street rider
Grow old not up

Oddometer: 293
A.T.G.A.T.T. is just as important as skills. However we do have choices. I could get in trouble as an MSF rider caoch but in Florida when its hot I don't always have a jacket on however I do on the range. On my touring bike I somtimes use a half shell helmet, DOT police type. In reference to my skills I ride over 25,000 miles a year, practice 2 hours a week with the Daytona Harley Drilll Team and teach 2 or 3 times a month.
Whats more important, skills or gear, its up to you.
Before you can be old and wise you must first be young and foolish, and live thru it.
street rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:47 AM   #18
MayQueen
Reality is unrealistic.

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtgeek
mayqueen do you have a moto yet? reason i'm asking is cause my wife is going to take the brc next month and at some point will want her own moto. whats important to you as far as type of bike, height, style...that sort of stuff.

thanks

al
I don't have a bike yet. This is a touchy subject at home right now. My husband and I took the MSF class together. I passed, he didn't.

For me, the most important part of finding a bike will probably be height and fit as far as where my hands are and reach of controls. I'm just 5', so I will need to find something that I will be able to flat foot on. I rode a Rebel in class and that fit me pretty well. I will be looking at the Shadow as soon as I can get over to the dealer. Another bike that has been recommended to me because of my height is the Buell Blast.

Gear will be another fun thing, ha. I'm short and fluffy. I'm sure things will have to be shortened when I do find them. Nothing I haven't dealt with in my life before though.

Good luck to Mrs Dirtgeek!!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 07:57 AM   #19
Dirtgeek

Oddometer: n/a
thanks for a newbie lady's pov...not meant to be demeaning in any way.

as far as your husband not passing and you did! congrats!

bwaha ha ha ha ha ha ha! on him.

thanks and good luck.

al
Old 09-06-2007, 08:07 AM   #20
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogon
Because on dirt bike you have to move to balance a lot, if you don't have enough flexibility or you have restrictive gear you will fall A LOT!
That's why dirt bikes have tiny narrow seats - it's not for seating.
You are confusing flexibility and perceived protection with top tier motocrossers of old, who feel invincible. Many (nowdays) wear very expensive Titanium braces and CE approved pressure suits under their pants and jerseys.

The old plastic chest protector was more for "Roost" protection, it provides very little in terms of hitting the ground.

I wear more protective (and restrictive) gear off-road than I do on-road and I wear a "Stich" (1pc Roadcrafter) with back-protection inserted in it. I don't put allot of faith in some of the foam pads clothiers put in their garments. I wear them for abraision resistance.

I wear good gloves, MC boots and the best helmets I can afford.

I tried all the other methods in crash testing - Blue jeans, t-shirts, short-sleeve shirts and all sorts of MX gear.

Not crashing will protect you the most!

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:29 AM   #21
street rider
Grow old not up

Oddometer: 293
[quote=MayQueen]My husband and I took the MSF class together. I passed, he didn't.

Boy I can't tell you how many times that happens.
As for me I not a fan of the Buell Balst as a first bike but you are correct fit is important.
Before you can be old and wise you must first be young and foolish, and live thru it.
street rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #22
MayQueen
Reality is unrealistic.

Oddometer: 1,665
[quote=street rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayQueen
My husband and I took the MSF class together. I passed, he didn't.

Boy I can't tell you how many times that happens.
Funny too is that I was just taking the class to go along with him. He was the one that wanted the endorsement to begin with. I got much more excited about riding than he did.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:05 AM   #23
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,135
Invincible

[quote=Charis] Can ATGATT give us a false sense of security?[quote]

I bought my first bike the day after I graduated high school. Dealer let me buy a helmet at cost; sometimes I wore it, sometimes I didn't.

It was a Vetter full face, smelled like a new car inside, and I liked the way my voice resonated inside. Like Darth Vader.

When I wore it, I felt invincible.
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #24
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,269
[QUOTE=Guano11][quote=Charis] Can ATGATT give us a false sense of security?
Quote:

I bought my first bike the day after I graduated high school. Dealer let me buy a helmet at cost; sometimes I wore it, sometimes I didn't.

It was a Vetter full face, smelled like a new car inside, and I liked the way my voice resonated inside. Like Darth Vader.

When I wore it, I felt invincible.
That new car smell will do it to a guy every time.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:08 PM   #25
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by street rider
As for me I not a fan of the Buell Balst as a first bike but you are correct fit is important.
My wife (5' nothing) is going to be getting her first bike in the near future. We are looking hard at the Blast. I am curious why you don't like them. I am not trying to start an arguement, but would like to hear differing opinions.
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #26
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,219
I tend to ride faster and push the limits of my abilities more when it's cool enough to wear a jacket, boots and Carhardts. But I'll still do the occasional wheelie while wearing shorts, T shirt, & tennis shoes so I guess it's a coin toss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:29 PM   #27
rentaman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
ATGATT............never heard of it til I hit this site. The first time I donned leathers, I felt more confident. I ride harder when wearing leathers or the FXRG suit. No doubt.
Crashed hard over 20 years ago with no helmet. Lost a little hair there, where my noggin was scrapin the pavement. 75' skid marks, 5 sheriff cars, 5 ambulances. I rode home. Insurance expired the week before so I declined when asked if I wanted to go to the hospital. Can't use the crash as an example of surviving an accident without a helmet, but I can use the crash as an example of surviving an accident due to drunkeness.

If no helmet law and a familiar or stress free area, I ride without, but if I don't know the area the skid lid stays on.
Hmmm......most accidents happen at 20 mph or less- helmets are designed for up to a 14 mph impact.

Sneakers are ok, but if it is not blisteringly hot out, I wear engineer boots.
rentaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:48 PM   #28
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,673
When I ride in a leather jacket, jeans, gloves, boots and helmet, I am much

more tentative then when one piece leathers replace the jeans and jacket.

Much.

I've had two wrecks in the last three years.

One on the street. Low sided between 35 and 40, slid a while. Would have

walked away but I got nailed between the shoulder blades by a bike that was

following too closely and doing 35 to 40. I was only sore (one piece leathers).

I went down on the track at 75. Slid 150 feet. Quarter size strawberry on

right forearm. I'll take the gear.

and ride faster.

I wear the sme thing on the "street".

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #29
Motociclista
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 13,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1
I admit it...I ride far more "aggressively" in my leathers than in cordura gear. I think that's what you're getting at.
Good point. When in leathers it feels somehow like "superman". I guess it all gets down to riding the "same" with a little bit more of space for error.
Fred
Old 09-06-2007, 08:48 PM   #30
bimmerx2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
I love it when you talk like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayQueen
Pretty new here and just got my endorsement, so my opinion may not carry much weight, but I have to say that as I have been observing riders out on the streets, I am finding that the ones in full gear look the coolest by far.
Actually I "feel" more cool looking when I'm decked out with all the gear and I'm going to keep telling myself it's true whether anyone else thinks so or not. It's my skin, my head, my bones and my everything else inside so it's my opinion that counts.

If someone wants to "make fun" of my gear I just smile along with them... not because it's funny but because I love being reminded of what it was like to be in the first grade.

Not sure I ride more agressively because I'm wearing the gear but I for sure feel more safe. But that begs the question of whether riding "a little more agressive" is worse than riding "a little more timid". I'm not talking about blowing down the highway on one wheel or drifting corners at 90+ in the neighborhood here because feeling safer has nothing to do with that. I'm talking about just pushing it a little harder and a being little quicker than normal.
'08 Honda CBR 1000RR (get outta da way!)
'05 Honda CBR 600RR (trackday toy)
bimmerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote