Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2007, 06:25 AM   #31
Oilybimmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
We accept a level of risk when we ride, if we go the ATGATT route we reduce the risk, it is possible that we then ride quicker to bring us back near our level of acceptable risk, if I am not properly dressed for riding I will ride slower, as we get older and possibly wiser we take fewer risks due to our experience, as a young rider I could not go a week without a near miss, heart in mouth incident, normally due to excess speed and poor anticipation, as an older rider I hope to avoid putting myself in those situations, ATGATT definitely, the first riders I saw taking ATGATT seriously were German guys twenty odd years ago, having a talk with them revealed that their insurers would not pay the same if inadequate riding gear contributed to their injuries.
Common sense really.
Stewart
Oilybimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:52 AM   #32
gsr1der
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1
I admit it...I ride far more "aggressively" in my leathers than in cordura gear. I think that's what you're getting at.
Really.... I thought coordura/kevlar was supposed to be the best all around.
and a really dumb question....

Whats a pressure suit?

I wore my motoport jacket + pants, doc martin boots, held gloves yesterday for 140 round trip to mt airy and was very hot while riding but after the ride when i stopped i felt like i was going to die.... I took my gear off, drank water, and just kept feeling like i was burning inside and my head was cooking.

Is there any ATGATT that you can wear over clothes that doesn't feel like a snowmobile suit?
gsr1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:40 AM   #33
J. Clarke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr1der
Really.... I thought coordura/kevlar was supposed to be the best all around.
and a really dumb question....
A good grade of leather has better abrasion resistance but arguably the thickness makes it difficult to get a strong seam so it may come apart at the seams under conditions where textile will hold together.

In practical terms a good riding suit of any material is good protection, a textile suit however may need fixing after a slided that leather survives unscathed.

Quote:
Whats a pressure suit?
One example http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=44207. Has shoulder, elbow, chest, back, and other protection in a skin-tight stretch mesh carrier.

Quote:
I wore my motoport jacket + pants, doc martin boots, held gloves yesterday for 140 round trip to mt airy and was very hot while riding but after the ride when i stopped i felt like i was going to die.... I took my gear off, drank water, and just kept feeling like i was burning inside and my head was cooking.

Is there any ATGATT that you can wear over clothes that doesn't feel like a snowmobile suit?
The high end mesh stuff and the new BMW Comfortshell come to mind, but to be really comfortable when it's hot you'd do better to dress for the ride and change clothes if you need to when you get there. The clothes are an extra layer that trap heat and prevent evaporation.

You might want to get a Camelbak and use it on the way.

By the way, Doc Martens look rugged but they really aren't all that good as protection.
J. Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:31 AM   #34
Kensei
two wheel adventurer

Oddometer: 13
For me the two downsides to ATGATT is

1) Less Riding: There have been many times when I wanted to take the bike out but didn't because I was too lazy to switch the clothes I was in and change to ATG. Also I don't want to be carrying all my gear when I arrive at my destination. Minor inconveniance but enough of one to make me take the car instead of the bike.

2) Sweat and heat: For the first couple of years at my job I used to commute everyday to work on my bike before I had a car, 10 miles of traffic lights and intersections. I would get to work with huge sweat spots and it was annoying to carry gear and change of clothes when the parking lot is three blocks away from your office. Now that I have a car I'll only take the bike to work when the temp is lower than 85 and dry or 75 and humid.

Even after reading the face plant posts and knowing about all the various gear that is available I am still not atgatt.

As for what I wear and when:

Everytime I ride: Full face helmet, gloves and motorcycle specific boots.
Highway : Same as above and motorcycle jacket with armor
Town: Same as above on V-Strom, 50/50 jacket/no jacket on Shadow cruiser.
Never ride with shorts, sneakers, or short sleeves.

No riding Pants as of yet - deciding now on what to get depending on conveniance of use and application. Did recently purchase a pair of strap on T-Pro knee pads. Figure at least my knees will be protected from impact and the strap on feature let me put on/off with whatever pants I'm wearing without having to take off my shoes.
Kensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #35
vol245
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
To me it makes it hard to use a motorcycle as a source of transportation if I have to wear ATGATT. Let's say I want to go to a movie. What am I supposed to do with ATG once I get there? Take up 3 seats with it? I know it should be worn ATT while riding though. Therein lies the dilemma.

FWIW, I've wrecked at 90ish mph wearing jeans, a Tshirt and a helmet. No broken bones, but lost a lot of skin. This was in 1974.
vol245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:13 PM   #36
grae313
Idiosyncratic Misanthrope

Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charis
No, I'm not recommending riding without adequate safety gear: thanks for asking.

But I keep reading Face plant reports where the rider has apparently (I recognize the difficulty of communicating in this medium) made a significant error and been involved in what was very likely an avoidable accident. Often those folks are very proud of the fact they were ATGATT but gloss over their responsibility in the wreck which IMO is much more important.

Is it possible we're worried too much about dressing properly and not enough on riding properly? Can ATGATT give us a false sense of security?

(And BTW: damned if I know. I just hoped it would make for interesting discussion.)
It's not like you only have, say, 100 points worth of worry to spend and if you use up all 100 worry points on ATGATT then you have nothing left for worrying about riding properly.

Concern over ATGATT has nothing to do with how much or how little concern we have about riding. THE TWO HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH EACH OTHER. Your point that people do not spend enough time taking responsibility for poor riding may be valid, but it should not in any way lead to this thread.

Suggesting that it may lead to a false sense of security is worthy of consideration. My response to this is that, yes, riding naked would probably make riders much more cautious, but I still think ATGATT is safer.

After all is said, we each make our own choices and live with the consequences. There are good and bad points to absolutely everything in life.
grae313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:06 PM   #37
SAWBONES
Chicken Rider

Oddometer: 1,269
"To me it makes it hard to use a motorcycle as a source of transportation if I have to wear ATGATT. Let's say I want to go to a movie. What am I supposed to do with ATG once I get there? Take up 3 seats with it?"

You could always get a helmet lock (there are several kinds) for your bike. There are even cable locks that let you attach your jacket to the bike, though the jacket shouldn't be too hard to either wear in the theatre or hold on your lap. (Same applies to your riding pants/boots. You might look a bit different, but cool nonetheless. )

As far as ATGATT downsides, the main issue AFAIC is the inconvenience of "suiting up" to ride as opposed to just jumping in the car with no special preparation, and then the need to "de-suit" when you get to your destination if staying in your gear isn't an option (eg, riding to work).
Secondarily, the gear gets warm when you're not moving, of course.

Personally, I'm uncomfortable not wearing ATGATT nowadays, though I used to wear NOTGATT (none of the gear, all the time) in the '70s, not even a helmet, when my motorcycle was my only transportation.
Older and wiser now, and ride just for fun.
SAWBONES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:28 AM   #38
J. Clarke
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vol245
To me it makes it hard to use a motorcycle as a source of transportation if I have to wear ATGATT. Let's say I want to go to a movie. What am I supposed to do with ATG once I get there? Take up 3 seats with it?
You can lock it to the bike, put it in the seat next to you in the theater, or put it under the seat. I generally lock the helmet onto the bike and put the jacket in the seat next to me like I do with my winter coat. If the theater is packed though then I put it under the seat.

Quote:
I know it should be worn ATT while riding though. Therein lies the dilemma.

FWIW, I've wrecked at 90ish mph wearing jeans, a Tshirt and a helmet. No broken bones, but lost a lot of skin. This was in 1974.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:05 AM   #39
Chromer
Not going gentle

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWBONES
"To me it makes it hard to use a motorcycle as a source of transportation if I have to wear ATGATT. Let's say I want to go to a movie. What am I supposed to do with ATG once I get there? Take up 3 seats with it?"
Go to the nice theater in town that still has a coat check?
Chromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:13 AM   #40
vol245
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromer
Go to the nice theater in town that still has a coat check?
This isn't 1950 any more. I live in Phx and coats aren't normally needed.

My point was that ATGATT makes the bike much tougher to use for me, for regular use. If I am just going out for a ride then ATGATT is much easier to deal with. If I am making five stops at different places and spending some time at each one, then it is a PITA. It is also easier to do in cooler climates. We have had over 30 days this year where the temps were over 110.
vol245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:30 AM   #41
Strombow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Have been riding here in my leathers when it's been 47 deg C and suffering the heat but just bought some textile gear with removable panels in the jacket and the pants for ventilation, wish I had done this ages ago,what a difference,now my ride is cooler.
I read up on all the different kinds of protection,leather ,nylon,cordura and kevlar etc and found many conflicting arguments for each that I decided that impact protection was most important followed by good abrasion protection and comfort so I have gone for a medium priced textile suit with ventilation which I will upgrade to the best impact protection.
I also changed from a flip front helmet to a solid full face.
I feel more uncomfortable riding without my gear on ( tried cruising down the sea front, shorts,T shirt and trainers ) did about half a mile and went back home for a walk instead. Yes, I am a complete wimp, with the emphasis on complete.
Cheers
Ian
Strombow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:30 AM   #42
Thraan
Banned

Oddometer: 28,855
I'm ATG if I ride the superslab. If I'm going to the corner store, I'll wear only the helmet. Depends on where I'm going and how fast I'll be travelling. Wearing minimal gear causes me to ride slower, and be more cautious, but sometimes that tradeoff (caution/gear) is okay.

I wear DocMartens on the street, and MX boots when dual sport riding. Are my docs not considered good enough to be part of ATG?
Thraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:55 AM   #43
SAWBONES
Chicken Rider

Oddometer: 1,269
If I rode my bike to go everywhere day-in, day-out, and in 110 degree heat, you can bet all my ATGATT stuff would be textile and easy on/easy off, with "do-it-all" type boots which were appropriate for street casual wear as well as riding.
Obviously some compromises would have to be made, with sacrifices of fashion for safety and vice-versa.
SAWBONES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:14 PM   #44
J. Clarke
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vol245
This isn't 1950 any more. I live in Phx and coats aren't normally needed.

My point was that ATGATT makes the bike much tougher to use for me, for regular use. If I am just going out for a ride then ATGATT is much easier to deal with. If I am making five stops at different places and spending some time at each one, then it is a PITA. It is also easier to do in cooler climates. We have had over 30 days this year where the temps were over 110.
Do you wear street clothes under your suit and take the whole thing off at every stop? If so, I can see where that would be a problem. I just wear the riding suit--it's my clothes. No PITA there, because I just walk into wherever and do whatever and walk out.

If you're only wearing a wicking layer and the suit then it's going to be a lot more comfortable in the heat than if you're wearing ordinary clothes under it.

Nobody's ever said anything unfavorable about it even in five-star restaurants. Mostly it's a conversation starter.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:31 PM   #45
SloNEZ
Guano Loco

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
What am I supposed to do with ATG once I get there?
This is an important issue!
I either buy bikes with plenty of storage already or rig up something once I get it (by adding storage, racks, whatever).
Cable locks can help, too, if your storage is full of other items (like when out shopping/running errands, or on a trip).
Sometimes I'll carry a light duffel along and stuff whatever I can't stow on the bike in there and lug it into wherever I'm going ... it's a pretty easy way to keep it all together and out of the way.
If you actually USE your bike for everyday transportation, on-board stowage room is essential, IMHO.
SloNEZ is offline   Reply With Quote