Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #91
LowAndSilent
Still a newb

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter
In some ways, ATGATT is like trying to stop a rainstorm with a kleenex. Might keep the grass dry for an instant, that's all. Like when the human body hits a telephone pole at 50 mph. You still end up wet.
And not wearing ATG would help you in that instance? Nothing would.

It's there for the times it can work and not having it wouldn't... like skidding along the pavement after a getoff, or hitting the ground after flying over someones hood. Compare a non-ATGATT and an ATGATT rider after both of those instances and see who's comfy.

I hate statistics, polls and most all studies. I had a concentration in Info Analysis during undergrad and am working towards my MA in the field. One thing I've learned...there is no perfect, completely unbiased study. I could take the data for those statistics, change the variables, and give you whatever the hell you want.

Heck...the argument that wearing ATGATT makes you take more risks because you feel invulnerable? How about people who don't wear proper gear are more likely to take risks because they aren't concerned with proper personal safety in the first place (can't be bothered to wear protection)?

It's all in how you phrase it.
05 Suzuki Burgman 400 - Wife's scoot
08 Yamaha FJR1300AE -

"Forget the carrot. It's time for the stick!" - Coworker
LowAndSilent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #92
Skooter
people suck

Oddometer: 290
Oh I wear gear, don't get me wrong. I still feel vulnerable. No amount of gear can eliminate that, not for me anyway. Gear helps alot when you get stuck between your bike and the asphalt. Not so much when you slam into a Ford Bronco.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #93
LowAndSilent
Still a newb

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter
Oh I wear gear, don't get me wrong. I still feel vulnerable. No amount of gear can eliminate that, not for me anyway. Gear helps alot when you get stuck between your bike and the asphalt. Not so much when you slam into a Ford Bronco.
Amen.

My Level II vest will stop most common rounds, but it won't stop rifle rounds. That doesn't mean I'm not going to wear the damned thing because it won't stop rifle rounds. It just won't protect me every single time someone shoots at me.
05 Suzuki Burgman 400 - Wife's scoot
08 Yamaha FJR1300AE -

"Forget the carrot. It's time for the stick!" - Coworker
LowAndSilent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #94
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
You need better gear and or riding lessons.
Offblnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #95
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowAndSilent
Amen.

My Level II vest will stop most common rounds, but it won't stop rifle rounds. That doesn't mean I'm not going to wear the damned thing because it won't stop rifle rounds. It just won't protect me every single time someone shoots at me.
You need to stop pissing off people
Old 02-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #96
catzass
Triple Pilot

Oddometer: 387
I saw someone mention gear takes up a lot of physical space but I don't think anyone has mention the cost down side. Surely I'm not the only one who is constantly buy new gear becuase its "exactly what I've been wanting" , or "looks great" or "oh new gloves" "its on sale" Maybe I should learn to get rid of things when I get a new one, but what fun would that be.
catzass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #97
VaderSS
Canyon Carving Goldwing

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg
NoIs it possible we're worried too much about dressing properly and not enough on riding properly? Can ATGATT give us a false sense of security?
Not in my case.

Every day, as I put on my suit and my boots, I am reminded how dangerous the act of riding a motorcycle is. Putting on the gear helps me to shift mental gears before getting on the bike.

I am extremely aware of the fact that my gear will do virtually nothing for a direct impact, and that it is completely up to me to avoid that direct impact.
VaderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #98
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by catzass
I saw someone mention gear takes up a lot of physical space but I don't think anyone has mention the cost down side. Surely I'm not the only one who is constantly buy new gear becuase its "exactly what I've been wanting" , or "looks great" or "oh new gloves" "its on sale" Maybe I should learn to get rid of things when I get a new one, but what fun would that be.
That's what the flea market is for What you got?
Old 02-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #99
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
A long time ago I sold motorcycles at a dealership. When I'd sell a bike to a new rider, and we were done with the deal and waiting for the bike from service (checkover) I'd tell them: " Now that you are riding, people - friends, family, strangers will feel the need to tell you thier 'horror story' about an acquaintence of thiers that came to a Bad End, all because of Motorcycles - and I'm going to be the first:

When I was 16 and lifeguarding I rode home on my Suzuki GT380 for lunch one day, and rounding a corner I've used thousands of times I clipped a gravel patch and went down. Well, I had some jeans on and a jean jacket - they were a bit torn up, and I was sore but I picked the bike up, kick-started it and went home and had lunch. When I was done I went out to the carport and there on the mirror was my (purple metalic flake) helmet - right where I left it with a pattern of small stones imbedded into the surface. I never knew my head had hit the ground.

Wearing your gear probably WON'T save you if you take a head-on into a bus, but it WILL go a long way to saving you from the typical low-energy spills that can happen to ANY rider in daily use. SO WEAR YOUR GEAR.
Thus endith the sermon, go forth and have fun.
RedShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #100
sstewart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Atgatt

My buddies tell me that I look like something that comes in a HAPPY MEAL when geared up. They ride harleys with very little protection. I worry about people that think gear is non-sense. I wear everything right down to a LEATT BRACE. I hope my gear will allow me to eat my Happy Meal instead of sucking it through a straw. I know this is a little harsh but it's how I feel.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:32 AM   #101
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
[quote=jamesgs4]The thing that bothers me the most is the loss of some of my peripheral vision when wearing a full face. I always glance over my shoulder when I change lanes, and my helmet blocks my view of cars behind me. I fear that some idiot doing 100+mph will rear end me because they were in the blind spot and I didn't see them.[/quote Try a Shoei Hornet
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:34 AM   #102
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Stuffed that one up!
Old 02-06-2010, 06:52 AM   #103
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark
A long time ago I sold motorcycles at a dealership. When I'd sell a bike to a new rider, and we were done with the deal and waiting for the bike from service (checkover) I'd tell them: " Now that you are riding, people - friends, family, strangers will feel the need to tell you thier 'horror story' about an acquaintence of thiers that came to a Bad End, all because of Motorcycles - and I'm going to be the first:

When I was 16 and lifeguarding I rode home on my Suzuki GT380 for lunch one day, and rounding a corner I've used thousands of times I clipped a gravel patch and went down. Well, I had some jeans on and a jean jacket - they were a bit torn up, and I was sore but I picked the bike up, kick-started it and went home and had lunch. When I was done I went out to the carport and there on the mirror was my (purple metalic flake) helmet - right where I left it with a pattern of small stones imbedded into the surface. I never knew my head had hit the ground.

Wearing your gear probably WON'T save you if you take a head-on into a bus, but it WILL go a long way to saving you from the typical low-energy spills that can happen to ANY rider in daily use. SO WEAR YOUR GEAR.
Thus endith the sermon, go forth and have fun.
Like you I would have bet my head did not hit either

I had a nice Arai helmet, and newish jeans and jean jacket, decent steel toed boots, leather gloves, what amounted to ATGATT then. Some minor road rash, but rode home.

I would have bet a lot of money my head never hit anything.

When the soreness gone, ready to ride, I got my helmet out. In the top exact center, there was a tiny pit, and a 3" diameter oil can crack around it. I guess it hit something on the bike as I fell off.

I was almost instantly wet with sweat, knees weak. That helmet went in the trash, and I went right out and got another one.

Ruined it too, but that is another story

Before that I would ride without a helmet quite a bit.

Not now.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #104
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

After washing the bike i've ridden around the block couple of times wearing jeans and a t-shirt, always a helmet though, you feel like naked without the jacket and proper gear, i know i used to wear just a jean jacket and maybe work boots flat out on a Norton 850, not a care in the world, wouldnt even think of it now!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #105
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi
After washing the bike i've ridden around the block couple of times wearing jeans and a t-shirt, always a helmet though, you feel like naked without the jacket and proper gear, i know i used to wear just a jean jacket and maybe work boots flat out on a Norton 850, not a care in the world, wouldnt even think of it now!
I wouldn't want to ride "flat out" on a Norton either.