Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
pardon the broken english
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #108
Dirty Hippie
Somewhere in a canyon

Oddometer: 227
I think gear is almost all upside. I spent many years riding in no gear, or just a helmet. Wearing proper gear is so much more comfortable and makes riding better for me. I never knew how much jeans sucked to ride in until I bought some riding pants. The safety is just a bonus.

Downside? Getting all geared up takes time. I used to think it took a long time to get geared up for the summer. Now I dream of summer when I don't need glove liners, balaclava, thermal underwear, etc.

I get excited putting the gear on. It gives me time to go over everything mentally. Think about the upcoming ride, remember something I was about to forget, finish my coffee, whatever.

I have never, ever, ever had anyone make fun of me or felt odd because I was geared up. I hear this all the time: People saying they feel like a dork in their gear. Get over yourself. Nobody gives a shit about you or what you a wearing. People are way too self-involved.
Dirty Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #109
Flyinggeekrabbit
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Same as flying

Taught to me by older more experienced pilots and which I passed on to my co-pilots in the Air Force: Your most important job as aircraft commander is "managing the margin of error." Longer trips, bad weather, tired crew, maintenance problems are all manageable. Put them together, you're in trouble.

Same here. Personally, I like a big buffer between me and trouble. I always wear heavy boots, always a full face helmet, and always an armored jacket that's bright enough to allow my widow's lawyer to say in court, "there's no way that dumb driver could have not seen him."
Flyinggeekrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #110
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,346
[quote=motogon]In my opinion many suit (including Roadcrafter) way too bulky for normal riding. They actually limit your ability to move and properly react on road hazards.]

All due respect Motogon, but thats a crock if your gear is properly fitted. If your gear is restricting your movement, you got the wrong gear, period.

But more importantly, it's not the crash that you see coming that hurts you the most. It's the one you never see coming (like getting punted through an intersection by an inattentive cager ).

Ride with whatever you feel is right for you but I'll be ATGATT.
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #111
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,285
Wreck

I was riding along in a 30mph zone. Entered a traffic circle (so I slowed down to about 15mph) and observed another vehicle approaching the circle. They hit their brakes and looked like they were coming to a full stop so I looked at the next street, the one I needed to exit onto. In my peripheral, I saw the bumper of the car, he impacted the right rear of my bike (saddle bag, thankfully, and not my ankle). I slid, the rear tire caught and I high-sided. I had no exposed skin but no armor.

My knees and elbows were very easy to clean (according to the ER). My cheap gloves protected the skin on my hands but I immediately bought better gloves after seeing how they tore apart at such low speed.
The EMT's asked several times if I hit my head and I said no. Then they asked me to confirm the scratch that went from the face to the rear of the helmet and I said, yes, I hit my head. I never knew it hit, it must have been while I was rolling.

I learned that armor is a good thing and I now make sure that I have some form of armor all the time. I wish I had worn my jacket, but it was just a 1 mile ride to the gas station, on a military base with low speed limits, so I thought I would be fine. Now my knees and elbows turn purple in the shower but maybe in another 5 years that will diminish.

I ride in 100+ degree heat around here and I always wear armor, I just pick something that will breathe when possible.
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
The best accessory for a KLR is another bike for riding offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I need to start riding my bicycle more so I can justify a cool new one.
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #112
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
years ago I had a walking pace highside when the front wheel on my beemer caught a rut that I didn't notice due to my looking other than where I was going. picked the bike up and rode 30 miles back home. when I took my helmet off, I noticed a smear of dirt on the side. wiped it off and discovered a two inch long crack in the helmet. like the others, I would have sworn that my helmet had not hit the ground. I did have a concussion and headaches and dizzyness for two days.

a few years ago I changed bikes and went from a single piston single disc front brake to a dual disc dual piston front brake. grabbed the front brake like always and instant low side. scuffed up leathers on my left shoulder and hip, scratched up helmet with the visor destroyed.

two crashes on the street in 40+ years of riding. sweat dries faster than skin heals. ATGATT for me
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #113
LeChatNoir
artiste

Oddometer: 139
really who doesn't ride with all the gear?
My uncle doesn't, he's crazy well he's been riding for 40 years and he hit one deer and it broke his arm like 25 years ago, but even since he rarely wears all his gear..

i don't care for it.
boots, pants jacket and helm- all with armor.
and no 3/4 of open face stuff on my bike.

atgatt is a good safety- besides i never have to really pick out what i am wearing- i am armored up and thats all
of course i wear my leathers when i am 'hooliganing' it up or going to the track.
other wise its adventure wear.
LeChatNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #114
Vrex
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Yeah, more gear is better . . . and yet, there is something perverse in human psychology that works against us all, whether we acknowledge it or not. Case in point: antilock brakes on cars were a highly-touted safety feature when first introduced, but ended up having no statistically demonstrable safety benefit. How can this be? It seems that people subconsciously compensate for the "felt" increase in safety by subtle changes in behavior, and the end effect is to cancel out the potential gain.

Try a reverse thought experiment: Imagine yourself riding in bathing trunks and flip-flops. You WOULD be more careful. Right?
Vrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #115
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrex
Try a reverse thought experiment: Imagine yourself riding in bathing trunks and flip-flops. You WOULD be more careful. Right?
Not really. But there would be some differences. Things like being cold, wet, sun burned, splattered with bugs, blister on my toe from shifting...
Old 02-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #116
Dave in IL
Old & slow but having fun

Oddometer: 85
Every day, as I put on my suit and my boots, I am reminded how dangerous the act of riding a motorcycle is. Putting on the gear helps me to shift mental gears before getting on the bike.

+1

The only time that you should complain about someone's bike being too big and heavy is if you have to help them pick it up
Dave in IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #117
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,488
Well, in this case...

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote