User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
KKORO OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Alaska -2 Summer Trips - One on Bike, Other in the Cloud

Iím going on two trips this year, possibly many more, but two rather long and, some would say ďadventurous.Ē Both trips will go to the same places Ė maybeóbut will be on entirely different vehicles. The first will be right here on ADVrider and hopefully, you all will come along with me, coach me and thrill in the dream of seeing places and experiencing folks along the way. The second will be putting rubber to road, or gravel as it may be, as I follow the wonderings of the first trip.

Iím going to Alaska this coming summer Ė yet, in the now, I have cabin fever here in Northern Michigan and want to start the trip without waiting till summer. ADVrider is going to allow that to happen.

As this thread develops, youíre going to find out about me and the way I like to travel, and camp. Youíre going to find out how I moto-camp now and the changes Iím going to have to make for this trip. Youíre going to help me pick my steed for the trip. And, finally, youíre going to help me with journey and destination picks.

This is my present camp kit. I love it, but I donít think the bike is the right bike for the upcoming trip.

[URL=http://s91.photobucket.com/user/JohnBailey_01/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/1FD10000-B83A-463C-9C0B-AB458E6D2641.jpg.html]

Gentlemen Never Sail to Weather
Iíd say a bit about me and how I travel and camp would be in order. There is a saying in sailing, which, when sailing, I strictly adhere to. It is ďGentlemen Never Sail to Weather.Ē When Iím sailing, I avoid, with a vengeance, bad, or even unpleasant, weather. If I'm at the beginning of a trip, Iíll delay if in bad weather. If in port, Iíll spend a few days exploring waiting for better weather.

Thatís also my philosophy when moto-camping. If itís going to storm, I wait to go. If in camp, I explore and wait for nice weather.

Some would say that this is not adventure travel. I would agree. In fact, most ďadventureĒ travel I read as chronicled on this forum doesnít look too adventurous to me. Simply put, most adventure travels are nothing more than a series of one day local camping trips Ė albeit, some rather large localities. Looked at this way, a long camping trip to Alaska is nothing more than a lot of daily camping trips strung together. Combined with my adversity to the adverse, it seems a bet less adventurous.

The other thing is where the adventure really is. On a recent 1,000 mile ride down and back to southern Indiana, the most dangerous, read adventurous, was getting around Indianapolis. I would bet most on this forum would agree that back country roads, even those that are very remote, are less dangerous than the freeway around Indianapolis, or, in my view the worst, Nashville, TN.

Lastly, I love, no; actually, I think it is the Holy Grail of my moto-camping experience, to have the freedom to change my mind. Iím a meanderer. At any given planned turn right, I may, and often do, turn left. I think that is the essence of freedom, and I cherish it. And, I bet many on this forum would agree.

Speaking of freedom, Iím retired. This makes my philosophy, as explained before, possible. This summer Iíll have a very tentative plan on where Iím going. Iíll not have any time frame. Being retired makes this possible. After all, if I like someplace and decide to stay a few days, with my philosophy of travel, I can do that. Iíve got all summer. Hell, if I find a place that I really like, I may just stay for the winter and continue the following summer. Yes, Iím old, a bit overweight with eyesight not what it used to be, and, Iíve lost strength and quickness. However, the upside is Iím retired!!

Thanks for reading,

Later,

Johnaki

KKORO screwed with this post 12-07-2014 at 12:19 PM
KKORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
KKORO OP
Adventurer

The Steed -- KLR or ??
My first decision is going to be which bike to buy.

As you saw in my first post, I ride a Burgman 400. If on good roads, I donít think there is a better camping bike. Below, youíll see the bike as packed this last summer for camping. The under seat storage is as big as a large backpack. As you see in this picture, nothing looks disheveled. I like it that way.

However, the down side is rough roads. Iíve been down some with the Burgy, but itís not as fun as it should be, so, Iím getting something else for this summer.

Iíve pretty much decided on a KLR. Iíve read about all the proís and conís of this bike, but I keep thinking about maintenance on the trip. This last summer, I lost the entire month of August waiting for a sensor that went bad on my Burgman. That was in Michigan where there are a number of dealers around. What will I do if something similar happens in the middle of the North West Territories? Reputedly, the KLR is one of the easiest bikes to work on. Thatís tops in importance to me. Performance and comfort are less important. As you might guess, Iím not going too far on any given day, and for sure, I wonít be going anywhere fast.

All that being said, sometime this winter Iíll be buying a bike for the trip and would welcome comments on which bike to get. As stated, Iíve pretty much decided on a KLR, but, just like making a planned right turn into a left turn, Iím open to changing my mind.

Thanks for any insight.

Later,

Johnaki
Old 12-09-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
Todd78d
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I'll be following along sounds like a nice adventure. I wanted a KLR but find like most of the others there too tall. I'm. Short 5'5" the only dual sport I found to be low enough is the BMW F700 with the factory lowering set up. Fully loaded the out the door cost was $15,900 I could set on the bike and have both feet flat on the ground and the bike felt light as a feather. I loved it, but almost $16,000. I can't see it. Maybe someday.
Anyway good luck to you and as I said I'll be following along.
Todd78d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd78d View Post
I'll be following along sounds like a nice adventure. I wanted a KLR but find like most of the others there too tall. I'm. Short 5'5" the only dual sport I found to be low enough is the BMW F700 with the factory lowering set up. Fully loaded the out the door cost was $15,900 I could set on the bike and have both feet flat on the ground and the bike felt light as a feather. I loved it, but almost $16,000. I can't see it. Maybe someday.
Anyway good luck to you and as I said I'll be following along.
The BMW F700 is great for shorter people. I am a bit taller than you but I really enjoyed riding it. Definitely worth the money.

@JOHNAKI: Sounds like a great adventure to be. I really like your attitude, subscribed!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
KKORO OP
Adventurer

The Route

Initially, I thought about going across Canada on Hwy. 17 on Lake Superiorís south shore for the first part of the trip. I did this about 25 years ago and had a great time. Thought it would be fun to see how things have changed. Then, I thought again as the weather may not be real conducive for cycling in May.

Going across the Mighty Mackinaw Bridge and across the north shore of Lake Michigan is a nice ride. Iíve done it many times. However, again, the weather can be pretty iffy during May.

My last choice was to follow U.S. 12 across to Missoula, MT. I live a couple of miles away from Mi66 and that will take me south to U.S.12. I used to live on U.S.12 many years ago, so, even though the ride would not be as scenic or interesting as the first two choices, it would be good to see some of my old hangouts and the weather will be better. All that being said, the real reason is that route will put me close to the all-time best restaurant in the world Ė bar none!!

ďEmilioísĒ used to be in Battle Creek. It took me about 25 min. to get there from my home about 30 years ago riding my Harley. I ate there 4-5 times a week. When I moved up north, and after Emilio died, I was told the restaurant had closed for good. For ten years I missed Emilioís most exceptional food. Then, by chance about 10 years later, I went into ďOye AmigoísĒ in Marshall, MI. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. The smells brought back a decade of memories. I found out that one of the waitresses had bought the recipes from Emilioís and started their own place in Marshall. I remember the waitress from decades ago. She and her kids now run the restaurant and it is extraordinary.

So, my first day on my Alaska trip will be a 340 mi. run down to Marshall, MI for lunch, then south to U.S. 12, then west. At some point Iíll leave U.S. 12 and detour to my hometown of South Haven, MI to visit with my sister and friends.

My second day will consist of going a bit south to get back on U.S. 12 and spend the rest of the day getting through Chicago. Not sure how thatís going to go, but given all day, I should make it.

On this second day I hope to get to the Lake Geneva, WI area and camp. Any suggestions for a campsite will be greatly appreciated. I hope to use this planning portion of the thread to scamper up some local knowledge about the places to camp along the way.

Later,

John