larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,258
Pissed Baseline Road..avoid it!!

Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go
So make the best of this test, and don't ask why
It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time

Lessons learned..Oh boy, life is full of them.

I followed the evil box Zumo down Baseline Road, nice waves from the rancher and wife on ATV's. I took the waves as permission to go past the signs that allowed trespassing by permission. The last gate had a chain and was dummy locked. I passed thru and left it as I found it...unlocked. I continued to the south in search of my path. In vain I returned from where I had come to find that I had been locked in. This was a mild attempt on my life as I had no water at this point..what a chump. I had to take apart/break his fence to get out. I was seriously afraid of this nutjob at this point..I could feel his beady little eye looking at me thru a scope. I hauled the mail and got out of dodge..throwing his gates down and running..I'm not ashamed.

I completely bailed on the area and got out of there.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:49 PM   #33
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Camp. I was fragged..really beat, out of it. My head hurt so bad I could hardly stand up. I made water and had a cup of hot chocolate while I waited for my food in a bag to finish cooking itself. I had forgotton my coffee addiction today and was paying for it. My food was done, I opened the bag and hurled. Not one bite. Tomorrow will be a better day.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:35 PM   #34
MissFenderFine
Now Offically De-n00bed!

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
Camp. I was fragged..really beat, out of it. My head hurt so bad I could hardly stand up. I made water and had a cup of hot chocolate while I waited for my food in a bag to finish cooking itself. I had forgotton my coffee addiction today and was paying for it. My food was done, I opened the bag and hurled. Not one bite. Tomorrow will be a better day.

Ooooh, forget what I said previously...I hate hurling...

Sometimes I'm here...sometimes I'm not.
MissFenderFine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #35
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
..... This was a mild attempt on my life as I had no water at this point..what a chump. ......
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:36 PM   #36
Tetched
Local Village idiot

Oddometer: 500
Sometimes......One needs a mind clearing adventure to cleanse ones soul to get back to where he wants to be coherently.
Ride on Larryboy,I can appreciate where you've been and where your going.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:52 PM   #37
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,543
Wink

Good . . . . . better to act instinctively or be intuitive than to let scumsuckers F*#k with you!!!!!!

Keep on with the great words & pics.

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:28 AM   #38
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Good mornin' America, how are you?

Don't you know me? I'm your native son!

I'm the bike they call the City of Husqvarna

I'll be gone 500 miles when the day is done
Old 09-11-2007, 03:50 AM   #39
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Today was an incredible day. I passed through fires, newly repaired roads, water and the thin air at 7,500 feet.

I made my way up to the trap door on this fire lookout. The girl working the lookout wouldn't let me up to the top deck..rules, blah. I don't blame her, I've worked in fire towers before and know how unerving it can be to have somebody peeking in the window when you least expect it. We chatted for half an hour or so. I told her of all the different lookouts I've been to and she pointed out all the lookouts we could see from here. We both decided that the ultimate tower to work would be the watchman on the rim of Crater Lake.

I got gas in this little place.

I rode some great trails today.

Yesterday stretched on for so long

Tomorrow feels like forever

My God, you know how much I needed this

These days are filled with such disaster

Sometimes I think that life will never be the same

Sometimes I think that's the answer
Old 09-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #40
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Heading into Unity.

I popped out onto Whitney Road, I had hoped that the route would take me by the ghost town..some other time.

I made my way into Unity and nearly had a heart attack..the gas station and store as I knew it was closed up and looked like it had been closed for a hundred years. Time passes like lightning and I realize it has been a very long time since I've been here..maybe 15 years. I wandered thru town hoping that I wouldn't have to ride tar into Baker City for gas. Whew, found gas down the street. I mentioned the town changing to the lady at the gas station, she looked puzzled and said not much has changed in 10 years or so. We talked of times past and she remembered when we used to come into town to work in the woods all those years ago.

I went down the street to the saloon to eat. The food was lousy, but the beer was cold so all is forgiven. It seems that the folks there had taken ownership that morning and the cook and waitress walked out the door at the same time.

I asked for 5 or 6 tater tots.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #41
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

While at the saloon some other riders came in. Goofy folks on 'wings with trailers. At least they have the wind in their faces. I had been talking to them about their trip and they mine. There had been a coupla more bikes down the street in the shade..turns out they were waiting for a tow truck since the BMW had bent a wheel on a rock. Anywho..those guys came in to compliment the one feller on his 90,000 mile 'wing. He laffed and said, "There is only one rider in this room and it's not me." I tend to sit in areas that maximize my people watching..this time I was behind the door with my back to the corner, the window to my right and a clear view of the entire joint. It took the fellow in the doorway a minute to see me. I chuckled smugly and told him about my little trip..little did I know that I would meet a "real" rider later in the week.

There were some cowboys in there eating too. Oregon cowboys are the coolest of all cowboys. I've never seen an ugly or fat one. These guys are the real deal. As tall as the sky, lean as a greyhound, eyes of fire and tough as toledo steel. These 3 were brothers. In my watching I discovered that the eldest takes the place of Pa, when Pa is not there. The other 2 address him as "Sir" in public. The eldest places the orders for the others and sends them outside while he settles up. There must be an age when an Oregon cowboy gets to wear a cowboy hat and spurs. The cowboy hat isn't the traditional "Stetson" style, they are almost "Sombrero's".The middle brother was dressed the same as the eldest, the youngest was in a ball cap with different boots and no spurs. I didn't have the guts to take a picture of them.

People watching is great.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #42
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

South out of Unity.

I crossed the Malheur River at Crane Crossing.

Toyed with the idea of following the ATV trail from Crane Crossing.

Three easy crossings then there was one that crossed at an angle upstream with a bunch of bigger rocks to dodge. I tucked tail and went back to the main road. I really wanted to camp in this area, but it was too early.

I have my Zumo set on "No U Turns". Sometimes it bites me. I went for a very long ways down this road.

I really wish they would post their signs before you're at the end. Something like "Private Property 7 miles ahead-No Access" would be nice.

I crossed at Malheur Crossing in the dark. Yippeee!!!!! That is one wide river at that point.

I was the only one there on this Monday night. I set up camp and took a bath in the river. I washed some clothes and went to bed.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:16 PM   #43
Bicycle Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Keep it comin' Rob...Great stuff.

Thank you: MX1West, Renazco Racing, KTM Twins, Rally Management Services
Bicycle Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:19 PM   #44
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Thanks, Phil!! The best is yet to come..I can hardly wait to share it.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:29 PM   #45
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,801
Quote:
Thanks, Phil!! The best is yet to come..I can hardly wait to share it.
It's been pretty darn good already.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote