Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2007, 02:51 PM   #61
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Those roll charts look suspiciously familiar. The rest of the report should be fun.

Jim in Sacramento
\

There is another clue earlier in the thread. A picture of a sticker without mentioning it.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:46 PM   #62
Bwana
Me Bwana You Toto

Oddometer: 308
Awesome!!!!

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what's for lunch."
--Orson Welles

2005 BMW F650GS Dakar (sold)
2008 Honda Goldwing Dark Metallic Red ABS (sold)
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Orange (sold )
2005 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
-----------
Bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:42 PM   #63
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
\

There is another clue earlier in the thread. A picture of a sticker without mentioning it.
Saw it, didn't realize it was associated with this ride.

Jim in Sacramento
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:51 AM   #64
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

I got an e-mail from my wife(we work opposite shifts)...

I hope I'm not being to heavy or showing too much of my soul and scaring off anybody. I just realized that I'm revealing quite a bit about myself...I don't care..deal with it.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:18 AM   #65
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

I left Christmas Valley around 8am, I really needed the rest. I'd been running pretty hard. I try to maintain 25 mph when rolling, for those that have been out on the Disco you know this can be tough to maintain. There were times that I'd crawl along at 12-15mph for hours and hours, dodging rocks, slipping and sliding in mud, opening and closing bawb wire gates takes a tremendous amount of time and energy when you do 50 of them a day..see? I promised rambling and rambling we will have!!

This was truly the best day on the Disco. The pain of the Iron Butt run north was starting to fade, I'd lost about 15 pounds by now. I don't take very good care of myself on these wanderings of mine..eat once a day and ride 'til I drop.

I wish people would eat more of these things. Early on in the trip I didn't show enough respect to some cows and just about ended up with one in my lap...I thought of our friend Clayton and was more careful from then on. The horn on the Husky works really well at getting them moving, then a few blips of throttle really clears them out.

I crossed a highway after working pretty hard to stay upright in several miles of mud. I started heading for Fremont Ridge. I tried to follow the original road rather than the main gravel road. I'd say that this sign hasn't been seen in many years..it was way out in the brush.

Fremont Point really blew me away..I'll never forget it..ever.

I turned my face to a careless skyline.

That crazy bastage came up here in December..nuts..sorry they cut down all the trees up here Mr. Fremont.

I didn't need to go into Paisley for gas so I headed for Lakeview. I was excited about riding the Oregon section of the TransAmTrail..I figured if I could make Lakeview by noon I could hit Silver Lake before dark.

I met the "real" rider in Lakeview. This crazy son-of-a buck rode that thing from Denver. Cool cat. He pulled out of the station, circled the block and came back asking if we could point him west.

I'd never seen one of these things before. The helmet puts things into perspective.

A mural!!
Old 09-14-2007, 07:40 AM   #66
MissFenderFine
Now Offically De-n00bed!

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:

I hope I'm not being to heavy or showing too much of my soul and scaring off anybody. I just realized that I'm revealing quite a bit about myself...I don't care..deal with it.

Yeah,

I was expecting pictures and some grunts.......

HI Becky

Sometimes I'm here...sometimes I'm not.
MissFenderFine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #67
StihlRigg
Dog Farkler

Oddometer: 519
Quote:

There were some cowboys in there eating too. Oregon cowboys are the coolest of all cowboys. I've never seen an ugly or fat one. These guys are the real deal. As tall as the sky, lean as a greyhound, eyes of fire and tough as toledo steel. These 3 were brothers. In my watching I discovered that the eldest takes the place of Pa, when Pa is not there. The other 2 address him as "Sir" in public. The eldest places the orders for the others and sends them outside while he settles up. There must be an age when an Oregon cowboy gets to wear a cowboy hat and spurs. The cowboy hat isn't the traditional "Stetson" style, they are almost "Sombrero's".The middle brother was dressed the same as the eldest, the youngest was in a ball cap with different boots and no spurs. I didn't have the guts to take a picture of them.

People watching is great.
Oregon cowboys--Here is a pic of one taken on a recent trip thru the Wagontire area. This was about 60-70 miles from anywhere. This guy had been out for days, just him and his horse.

Great report, I really enjoy seeing what others think of my backyard.

peace
"Did you hit him? You shoulda hit him, right in the throat. How dare he. Next time someone expresses concern for my well-being while i'm sprawled out in a public place, i'm gonna pull out their tongue and use it to paint my boat, and then i'm coming for their family."--SinFrenas

07 Husky SMR510
06 950s
06 Husky TE450
90 KX500
04 SDG mini
StihlRigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:17 AM   #68
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Thanks for the picture, StihlRigg!!! Really cool!!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:32 AM   #69
nelgallan
oilfield trash

Oddometer: 1,609

“There are three things in life that people like to stare at: a flowing stream, a crackling fire, and a Zamboni clearing the ice.”

http://nelgallan.smugmug.com/
nelgallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #70
Bwana
Me Bwana You Toto

Quote:

Yeah, yeah enough of the warm and fuzzy...more pics and story!!!

PLEASE.

BTW, where did you buy your Husky? Makes me want to get one.

--Orson Welles

2005 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
-----------
Old 09-14-2007, 12:15 PM   #71
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

More grunting and pointing.

Well I was gassed up, ate at Burger Queen with the high school kids and was ready to head westerly. I really should have read through the roll charts in hindsight...

Right off the bat I hit "NO TRASSPASSING" right out of Lakeview. Found my way around it, tried backtracking to pick up the route..unable to find the trail off of the 3780 road. An hour and a half later I found something that was on the roll chart.

I'm a little frustrated by now..you see I had just covered close to 800 miles of the Disco in about 30 hours of riding time. I had been in the zone, very happy following gps tracks for the first time in my life. Here I was back to maps and roll charts that don't make a whole lot of sense. To be honest these roll charts need to be re-done. No offense to Sam and the task he has undertaken, but these roll charts are ameteur at best. You have to build in "STOPS" and "RESETS", you can't expect a person to navigate without being able to go back or forward to a "RESET" so they can get back on track after a wrong turn or side trip.

I resolved to stick with it and try to get in his head. He reminds me of the old timer at the corner gas station...after 20 minutes of directions he takes a deep breath and says, "Now..don't go that way...here's what you want to do." If I looked at it like that I started getting on track.

A wrong turn that was pretty neat. They had a fence behind it to keep the cows out of the souce, but the front was open so the cows could slurp a drink.

Another monkey wrench..this should be fun without any RESETS built in.

The roads were super wide and in good shape through here. Gobbled up the miles at 60-70 mph.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:16 PM   #72
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana

BTW, where did you buy your Husky? Makes me want to get one.
Motoexotica in Vacaville. We still haven't gotten together for a ride have we?

Old 09-14-2007, 01:53 PM   #73
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Here in this diary,
I write you visions of my summer.
It was the best I ever had.

There were choruses and sing-alongs,
and that unspoken feeling
of knowing that right now is all that matters.

All the nights we stayed up talking
and quoting lines from all these songs that I love.
It still brings a smile to my face.

I guess when it comes down to it...
Being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up:
These are the best days of our lives.
The only thing that matters
is just following your heart
and eventually you'll finally get it right.

I ride a lonely road

The only one that I have ever known
Don't know where it goes
But it's home to me and I ride alone
My shadow's the only one that rides beside me

My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating
Sometime's I wish someone out there would find me
'Til then I ride alone

It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.
I hope you had the time of your life.
So take the photographs, and still frames in your mind

Hang it on a shelf in good health and good time
For what it's worth it was worth all the while
Old 09-14-2007, 03:56 PM   #74
Bwana
Me Bwana You Toto

Quote:
Motoexotica in Vacaville. We still haven't gotten together for a ride have we?

Oh yeah, I wanna go!! Lead on o'fearless leader. I'll only be about a 800 miles behind you still stuck in that railroad tunnel soiling my pants!

So...ummm...if you have one of those days that you just want a nice, relaxing ride through the woods, without tunnels or trains or bears or roll charts or barbed wire or lack of water or hallucinations or kamikazee truck drivers, let me know and I'll be all over it.

Motoexotica huh??? Vacaville isn't far....hmmmmm

--Orson Welles

2005 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
-----------
Old 09-15-2007, 12:58 AM   #75
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Well where was I? Spun out on day 5 I think. The Sycan River was amazing.

Riding the powerline road was kewl, I pity the fool that is heading east and has to climb the steep sand climb. The old railbed was really neat, kudos on finding that!! This one threw me for a loop and really had me questioning what I was doing here. The old railway went straight, the road a sharp right reverse direction. I really don't what this guy is doing half the time and I'm reaching the limits of my patience...

Somehow I found my way into Silver Lake, don't ask me how. It was close to dark, a little before 8 and the town was locked up tight. From the looks of things I really didn't want to hang around, they could wipe that place off the map and the world would be a better place. It looked like tweekers run amuck..really horrible looking little place. I weighed my options..find someplace nearby to stay and wait for the gas station to open the next day, if it would open I didn't know..or strike out for hwy 97 driven by the lure of gas. I had about 165 miles on the clock with 75 miles to go staying on main roads..I could cut it down to 50 if I cut through the woods, but I'm still new to this bike and it's fuel range. I stuck to the main road and kept my speed under 50 and headed for gas.

I made it to Chemult with a mild ulcer. I was really happy when I got onto 97 and realized I could get a lift if I ran out of gas. I gassed up and tried to figure out where I'd stay for the night, it was late by now. It was really cold up here and I was beat..breaking from my mold I looked for a motel. I stopped at one and the guy wanted $50 for one bed in a 9 bed lodge..it was his last "room", he suggested the "Whispering Pines" down the hwy aways. I thought I'd give them a shot and if that didn't work out I'd head back to the woods to camp.

The "Pines" was a good fit for me. $38 for the night with a store for fresh coffee the next morning. Everything is for sale on hwy 97. What's up with that? Are they going to widen the road and ruin everything or something?

If you have not guessed by now..I'm done with the T.A.T. I hated most of it and I'm out to have a good time, not sit in the dirt and try to figure out where I'm supposed go.

Day 6 I play tourista and go see my Grandma.

larryboy screwed with this post 09-15-2007 at 01:04 AM
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote