User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2007, 04:46 PM   #31
Cigars&Scotch
My eyes are up here

Oddometer: 1,819
Well do we have an update?

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:11 PM   #32
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
I Emailed Hpn Several Days Ago Asking For A Price, Recieved An Immediate Reply Saying That My Request Was Being Handed To Mr Pepperl To Deal With And Have Not Heard Any More So I Sent Another Email Today. Hope I Get A Reply Soon. If It Doesnt Come In Next Couple Of Days I Probably Wont Heard Till January
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:22 PM   #33
knucklebuster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Latest Update?

Did anyone have luck getting the latest price and availability?

It does seem of all the fork mod's available, this may the easiest to install and reasonably priced as compared to a whole new set of forks and triple clamps, i.e., the most bang for the buck. I tried their site and got quite confused trying to navigate through it.

I now have a 93 GS PD and want to upgrade the suspension. Ohlin's on the back and probably the Magnum inserts on the front.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:11 PM   #34
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Hpn Disinterest

No luck with any email response. Very dissapointing really. Perhaps they sell enough large ticket items to be not bothered with with responding to emails over items that are only worth a few hundred measly euros. !!
Old 02-27-2008, 03:01 AM   #35
Beemerboff OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
There was a BMW part number on each insert - in theory your dealer should be able to order them in for you .

There is also a number for the complete kit , which doesnt seem to get a response from anybody.

Unfortunatly I dont have the numbers to hand but I did post them somewhere, if I remember where I will post them

They are 3142 2 317 539 one side,--- --540 the other - found them on the UKGS site.

Beemerboff screwed with this post 02-27-2008 at 03:45 AM
Beemerboff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:15 AM   #36
Joerg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil
No luck with any email response. Very dissapointing really. Perhaps they sell enough large ticket items to be not bothered with with responding to emails over items that are only worth a few hundred measly euros. !!
I have posted this a few times, but here we go again: If you want something from HPN, your best bet is to use the phone (and make the timing so that you call late afternoon CET).

- Joerg

--
1990 BMW R80GS and K100LT
Jörg's Motorcycle Pages - pfranc of Switzerland
Joerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:27 AM   #37
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

They are avaliable as a BMW part but the cost is astronomical. I am off on a 10 day ride in a few weeks so wont be doing anything before that now, but as soon as were home the front end is the next project. I will have to try phoning them by the looks of it.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:54 PM   #38
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,974
A friend of mine just got a set of the inserts in the mail, the instructions give an oil volume but for grade it just says "comfort", not very helpfull !!. What grade of oil did you guys with the inserts use ??
Old 07-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #39
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,501
You guys are costing me money. I've just spent $2000 on new shocks for the R1150GS. Today I was out riding the R80GS Basic and thinking to myself that the front fork is not very responsive and could do with an upgrade, now I see this thread. I guess the WP rear shock could do with a bit of R&R as well.

It will have to wait until Christmas.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:19 AM   #40
Beemerboff OP
Beastly Adventurer

If you want the inserts best to move quickly as word is that HPN is dropping the inserts and only a few pairs remain.remain.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:09 AM   #41
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,501
Q-tech still has them

http://www.q-tech.de/15WEBFAHRWERK.htm

for Euro 560
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #42
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,474
Just a side note and question on these......

Are these made by Marzocchi?
Do they work the same as the Marzocchi Magnum forks?

I would guess that they in fact do,.... and in that case here's what I have learned about the Marzocchi Magnum Forks:

The Magnum forks allow from fork-top and comp rebound, this is allowed by forcing the oil through the damper rod and all the way to the very top of the fork (by kind of extending the damper tube in a way) and forcing the oil to pass through an oriface that is restrictable with the knob on the fork top...

What I am told is that this functionally makes only the very last inches of the fork travel tuneable, as there isn't any oil up there for most of the fork stroke...

So, this would be a easier to tune on the fly solution than RaceTechs, but the RaceTechs allow you to pre-set an adjustment that works throughout the fork travel, not restricted to the end of travel only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #43
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Not sure about the HPN Marzocchs, but I believe they have a long metering rod:

http://www.marzocchi.co.uk/documents...gnum_93_45.jpg

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #44
AliBaba
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
What I am told is that this functionally makes only the very last inches of the fork travel tuneable, as there isn't any oil up there for most of the fork stroke...
I have a bike with the inserts and tuning works through the entire stroke.
On my Kalahari the long spacers gives correct sag-measurements. I had to struggle a bit to make the rear (Øhlins) mach it.

IMHO this is an easy upgrade which makes good results; it’s also a good opportunity to get rid of all the old worn out junk which is inside the fork.

The downside is that it’s not produced anymore and most suppliers (incl Q-tech) are empty. HPN have a few left but they are not very keen on selling them, my guess is that they will use them for their own bikes.
AliBaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #45
Beemerboff OP
Beastly Adventurer

My tuning works the full stroke too.
The standard spacer is a perfect match for the # 80 Ohlins spring and a 12/14 stone rider.

If you are trying to track these down remember there are 3 BMW parts numbers, on for each side and one for the pair.

Best bang for the buck you will spend on a your GS - I let a guy with a set of USD WPs on his trick lightwieght G/S try them and next time I saw him he had changed to the GS / Magnum insert set up.