Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #76
R.J.
split personality

Oddometer: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide

I'm hoping some new girls will see it and pop in with their info, too.
Thanks for starting this thread VR. Since I'm still pretty much a n00B, I'm afraid I can't contribute much. I do appreciate those with experience sharing though. Thanks!
R.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:30 PM   #77
VelvtRide OP
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDraco
Bummer......
No I didn't know... I'm sorry.....
I don't get a chance to read all....
Dial-up really limits the page loads here...
No worries! Thanks for asking, tho.

R.J. - you'll have some to contribute, I'm sure, soon! Thanks for the kind words.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #78
waterlilly
No Agenda World Tour

Oddometer: 778
Hi Ladies

I'm new on this site, but have done that trip 2 times, onces as a passenger on a klr650, second time on my own klr650. I got my liscense and 3 months
later I was on my journey, I am happy to safe all went safe and I returned
home with some great pics and new friends from adventure.

I have read your begining post, and for most of your heigene concerns it is all avaiable there. I was gone for 6 weeks and needed it.

Toliet paper is essential, as some place there is a charge for it.

We had no real problems even with the language difference, most place
were very bike friendly.
email me and I will tell you some of the places we stayed, they were clean and reasonable priced, and the bikes were safe.
Cheers
Catharine
waterlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #79
Krashdragon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Hi..havn't done the adv thing yet, but I did manage to ride cross country several times... although most was on the superslab...ugg..
However..... UnderArmor or another brand ... you can pack three dry overnight shirts in place of one cotton t shirt....
they also have underwear for women.... I have some of their sports bras and boxer-type undies... no monkey butt, even flying cross coutry in 4 days in a 100+ heat wave.

but my biggest concern... I only have a 20-31 inch iseam...depending on which boots I'm wearing.... what kinds of bikes do you ride?
I'd love a KTM, but I cant' even get ON one, let alone hold it up at stops whe it would be loaded with gear...
And I dont' want a tiny bike that won't keep up with road traffic when necessary. In the past year I've sold my 05 Yamaha FJR, 02 Suzuki Bandit 1200 and 06 Triumph Speedmaster. All I've got left in my Harley, which I'd like to sell and get a sport touring bike instead. And a dual purpose bike.
Suggestions?
thanks
Mary
Krashdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:57 PM   #80
waterlilly
No Agenda World Tour

Oddometer: 778
I have no problem with leg length,lol I'm 5'11 and most of it is leg.

my other half is short, yes we sort of look like Sony & Cher.

he rides a klr but had it lowered,only in the front, there are linkaage kits for the rear.
I would think that you would be able to do that with a ktm ???
waterlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:48 PM   #81
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,523
VelvtRide mentioned the female urinary device She-wee in her first post. Here's one that's better known up here among female pilots, climbers, and paddlers. It's the Sani-Fem http://www.freshette.com/ and I know REI sells them.

Pretty handy not having to drop your drawers if you're cold, a bush is hard to find, or the mosquitoes are bad.

Good luck. Have fun. Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:09 AM   #82
VelvtRide OP
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc
VelvtRide mentioned the female urinary device She-wee in her first post. Here's one that's better known up here among female pilots, climbers, and paddlers. It's the Sani-Fem http://www.freshette.com/ and I know REI sells them.

Pretty handy not having to drop your drawers if you're cold, a bush is hard to find, or the mosquitoes are bad.

Good luck. Have fun. Mark H.
Thanks, Mark!

Old 04-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #83
Krashdragon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlilly
I have no problem with leg length,lol I'm 5'11 and most of it is leg.

my other half is short, yes we sort of look like Sony & Cher.

he rides a klr but had it lowered,only in the front, there are linkaage kits for the rear.
I would think that you would be able to do that with a ktm ???

Even a KLR would bg great....The seat height is still 35".... That's a lot of lowering....
How did he lower the front? short springs? Slide the folks up in the tubes?
Shorter forks?
I'm too chicken ad way too old tol go mountain climbing on a bike like that. I'd just like sokmething to run aorund on some of the dirt and gravel roads that I can pick up by myself ...often.... .....knowing me......
Long legged peeps....grrr! (Just kidding!)
thanks
Mary
Old 04-03-2008, 06:13 AM   #84
MegMeg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krashdragon
Hi..havn't done the adv thing yet, but I did manage to ride cross country several times... although most was on the superslab...ugg..
However..... UnderArmor or another brand ... you can pack three dry overnight shirts in place of one cotton t shirt....
they also have underwear for women.... I have some of their sports bras and boxer-type undies... no monkey butt, even flying cross coutry in 4 days in a 100+ heat wave.

but my biggest concern... I only have a 20-31 inch iseam...depending on which boots I'm wearing.... what kinds of bikes do you ride?
I'd love a KTM, but I cant' even get ON one, let alone hold it up at stops whe it would be loaded with gear...
And I dont' want a tiny bike that won't keep up with road traffic when necessary. In the past year I've sold my 05 Yamaha FJR, 02 Suzuki Bandit 1200 and 06 Triumph Speedmaster. All I've got left in my Harley, which I'd like to sell and get a sport touring bike instead. And a dual purpose bike.
Suggestions?
thanks
Mary
Have you looked at the BMW F650 for your dual sport choice? The seat is lower and it is definitely peppy enough to keep up in traffic. My inseam is 31 inches and I have no problem on an F650 with the seat at regular height. You can also get a lowered seat, which gives you 2-3 more inches.

Safe Journeys,
Meg

Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. Cadet Maxim
MegMeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:52 AM   #85
KayLR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krashdragon
Even a KLR would bg great....The seat height is still 35".... That's a lot of lowering....
How did he lower the front? short springs? Slide the folks up in the tubes?
Shorter forks?
I'm too chicken ad way too old tol go mountain climbing on a bike like that. I'd just like sokmething to run aorund on some of the dirt and gravel roads that I can pick up by myself ...often.... .....knowing me......
Long legged peeps....grrr! (Just kidding!)
thanks
Mary
Hi Mary, I have a KLR lowered with 2 inch lowering links--has never been a problem-did get stuck high centered on a log once. I am in the minority here, will be 50 in July and still riding dual sport,and I mean I ride with like 20 guys on KTM's,BMW's,DRZ's,and all sorts of dual bikes. I ride gravel, dirt and some single track thru the woods with em Is the beast heavy???hell yes!! I don't ride like that with a full tank-holds almost 6 gallons and that can add alot to your top weight. You may want to look at a smaller built bike--the DRZ 650 is less weight and less cumbersome. I am not high enough maintenance for a BMW so I can't tell you anything about it. The Honda is air cooled making it hot to ride ,especially in traffic.We know guys that traded theirs for a KLR because it is water cooled.But, if you are looking for an all around ride that can go everywhere and aren't going to get into any real knarly stuff the KLR fits the bill at a very nice price.My husband and I both have one along with his tiger and my wee-strom. We did a 9 day trip on the KLR's year before last and a week to the outer banks last summer. I have spent a considerable amount of money tweeking my strom out and I am still happier and most comfy on my KLR. Alot of the bikes can be lowered with lowering links. I rode mine before I got the links and have no handling issues since putting them on--we did lower the front end to match. I might add that riding is a way of life for my husband and I,so it's not like I am just a sunny day rider-I go to the grocery store ,ball games,hardware store and run all my errands on mine so I know what's it takes to get in the comfort zone with a bike and the KLR fits the bill for me---Hope this helps some, Kay
07 silver wee-strom----sold
I was dual before it was cool!!!
KayLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #86
Krashdragon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegMeg
Have you looked at the BMW F650 for your dual sport choice? The seat is lower and it is definitely peppy enough to keep up in traffic. My inseam is 31 inches and I have no problem on an F650 with the seat at regular height. You can also get a lowered seat, which gives you 2-3 more inches.

Safe Journeys,
Meg

Thanks. I was looking thru the BMW catalogue and it doesnt' show the 650GS..just the XChallenge and the 800GS.
The 2007 650GS was an 800cc if I'm not mistaken... same as the 800ST
But I've been known to be wrong once or twice in my life...
Big difference bertween 31" inseam and 29" inseam, tho...I'lll stop at the dealer and see if the salesmen know anything.... Usully the'y havnt' a clue...
Thanks,
Mary
Old 04-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #87
Krashdragon
Gnarly Adventurer

Way cool!
I'm also ...ummm...over the hill!
But, aint' growed up yet...
Damn! Just hit the wrong button on the laptop....lost the whole psot...
I'll send you and email rather than ramble on here...
Thanks
Mary
Old 04-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #88
MegMeg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Hi Mary! The 2007 (and previous years) F650GS was a 650cc engine (actually, I think it was 652). But, you're right, the 2008 F650GS is actually an 800cc engine, same as the F800GS - are we confused yet, I am . I'm not sure when the new F650s are going to be available in the dealership. Hopefully soon! I'd like to see one in person. Safe Journeys, Meg

Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. Cadet Maxim
MegMeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #89
VelvtRide OP
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegMeg
Hi Mary! The 2007 (and previous years) F650GS was a 650cc engine (actually, I think it was 652). But, you're right, the 2008 F650GS is actually an 800cc engine, same as the F800GS - are we confused yet, I am . I'm not sure when the new F650s are going to be available in the dealership. Hopefully soon! I'd like to see one in person. Safe Journeys, Meg
The F650GS's are no longer available. They are being replaced by the F800 as of this year.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #90
Kristen77042
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Adventure

Hi,

I've done some dirt riding with a girl friend of mine. It was great to get out on our own without the menfolk. I think we did a lot better on our own because we could go at our own pace without feeling patronized. Maybe, I'm not being fair. Some of the fellas can be great to ride with, but after the group exceeds critical macho mass, it spirals off into a testosterone fest and I just want to get a way from it. I know what you mean about not meeting as many people when you are with your spouse.

+ 100 on geting a Cipro prescription ahead of time. Just after Katrina hit, I had to go to LA, right outside of Naw'lins. After geting all the usual shots, my doctor gave me a bottle of Cipro to take just in case. A few years before, I spent 5 weeks in S. Korea. I came down with a terible UTI and ended up in the hospital . I as amazed at how good the hospital was. The doctor talked with me for a long time while we waited for the tests to come back. He prescribed Cipro and I was fine a day later, but if I had the forethought to get a prescription before I left the US, I would have saved myself a lot of pain and time out.

+1 on the cranberry pills. They are easier to pack and take than the juice and can prevent problems. They really do work. Take them daily before going to bed. Road trips are tough on the bladder. I have a tendency to hold it thinking that I'll find a nicer bathroom just up the road. Also there is stress, both good and bad which can contribute..

Take care,

Kristen
Kristen77042 is offline   Reply With Quote