Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2008, 07:48 AM   #91
MegMeg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
The F650GS's are no longer available. They are being replaced by the F800 as of this year.
BMW is making the F650GS, but it's not the single cylinder 650cc bike that we all know. It is the same engine as the F800GS (parallel twin, 800cc), but is still called the F650GS. I think the F800GS is supposed to be more like the Dakar (taller seat height, different suspension, bigger wheel, and other special bells and whistles) and the new F650GS is supposed to be more like the old one, other than the engine is different. I don't know why they couldn't just call both of them the F800GS (since the number is usually supposed to correspond, more or less, with the engine size ) and have some other name or way to indicate the special Dakar-type one.

BMW International Website

Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. – Cadet Maxim
MegMeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #92
VelvtRide OP
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegMeg
BMW is making the F650GS, but it's not the single cylinder 650cc bike that we all know. It is the same engine as the F800GS (parallel twin, 800cc), but is still called the F650GS. I think the F800GS is supposed to be more like the Dakar (taller seat height, different suspension, bigger wheel, and other special bells and whistles) and the new F650GS is supposed to be more like the old one, other than the engine is different. I don't know why they couldn't just call both of them the F800GS (since the number is usually supposed to correspond, more or less, with the engine size ) and have some other name or way to indicate the special Dakar-type one.

BMW International Website
Interesting - I spoke to someone at a BMW dealer and they told me the 650GS is no more.

Thanks for the info!

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:17 AM   #93
MegMeg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Interesting - I spoke to someone at a BMW dealer and they told me the 650GS is no more.

Thanks for the info!
You're welcome! It's massively confusing they way they have two, basically the same bikes, with different names/engine number identification. I don't know when they are actually going to be released, but I'd like to see one in person.

Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. – Cadet Maxim
MegMeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #94
i_heart_mud
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
+1000 to cranberry pills! I'm fairly susceptible to that ooky stuff, but didn't bring enough/take them consistently on my trip, and let me tell you, there is *no* cranberry juice in Mexico.

I'm surprised this didn't come up until the 4th page of this thread!

And yes, it's surprising how much you can do without. Consider how much time you'll spend riding vs. how much time you put towards making pretty, and pack accordingly... like more tire tubes than lipstick tubes. Aim for a 1:1 ratio if you must!

+1 to MEC clothing (apparently like REI). I shaved my head prior to the trip (I already keep it fairly short) and oddly enough, only got strange reactions as I was travelling through the States... including one poor lady who wouldn't follow me into the ladies' washroom!

Check out ze blog: situationinafghanistan.blogspot.com
Want more? www.aidinafghanistan.org

Support Mitch's ride for charity!
i_heart_mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #95
VelvtRide OP
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_heart_mud
I shaved my head prior to the trip (I already keep it fairly short) and oddly enough, only got strange reactions as I was travelling through the States... including one poor lady who wouldn't follow me into the ladies' washroom!
I wish I had the balls to do that. Kudos to you for the guts, girl. My hair is fairly long, though, and I do enjoy it more than a short length (so does the SO).

Nice to see so many women riders who ride south of the border.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:29 AM   #96
VelvtRide OP
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
You're welcome! It's massively confusing they way they have two, basically the same bikes, with different names/engine number identification. I don't know when they are actually going to be released, but I'd like to see one in person.
Now that I think about it - he may have told me that, but I heard it wrong. CRS!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #97
Krashdragon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Hi Mary! The 2007 (and previous years) F650GS was a 650cc engine (actually, I think it was 652). But, you're right, the 2008 F650GS is actually an 800cc engine, same as the F800GS - are we confused yet, I am . I'm not sure when the new F650s are going to be available in the dealership. Hopefully soon! I'd like to see one in person. Safe Journeys, Meg
I'm glad I'm not the only one confused!
Mary
Krashdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #98
Krashdragon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The F650GS's are no longer available. They are being replaced by the F800 as of this year.
Ahhh...... I think I'd better read the rest of this thread......
thanks
Mary
Old 04-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #99
Krashdragon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen77042
Hi,

I've done some dirt riding with a girl friend of mine. It was great to get out on our own without the menfolk. I think we did a lot better on our own because we could go at our own pace without feeling patronized. Maybe, I'm not being fair. Some of the fellas can be great to ride with, but after the group exceeds critical macho mass, it spirals off into a testosterone fest and I just want to get a way from it. I know what you mean about not meeting as many people when you are with your spouse.

Kristen
the wonders of stuff you can learn on the net... cipro, huh.... since all my riding was on road, haven't had that problem, but then I haven't been out of the US for a long time.

anyway, ditto on the riding with ladies.... guys WILL insist on doing the competetion stuff, whether it's intentional or not. Gals can ride without competeting.... and if they want to race or whatever, say they're going to do it.... and stop afterwards!

Critical macho mass... very good.... must remember that....
I think the limit is TWO, btw....

Mary
Old 04-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #100
waterlilly
No Agenda World Tour

Oddometer: 776
I have been reading thru and the cipro is a excellent idea, I went to my Dr, to get the twin rx needles and he gave me a script for cipro, I thought it was only for the monitazumas revenge until my other half got sick down there, and that is what they gave him, I had just that he had a flu,
which he did but it turned to a inner infection and his nuts blew up.

Poor guy it looked freaking painful it was, lol ( I can now)

I read some other post and I just thank the heavans he was treated properly. It was a private clinic maybe that is why. Not sure, some have told us it was because we were Canadian, WTF I say if it was my sister with me she is American am I that out of it to ????
He got sick the in 05 in 07 I was much more knowlegable(sp)
waterlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #101
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
When I am traveling light (backpacking, motorcycle trips, carry-on only...) I pack a small bottle of Dr. Bronner's liquid soap. I use it to wash my hair, body, dishes, clothes, dogs, everything else. I love the different aromas you can get and it is all organic oils. In fact, I use it at home to wash my hair as well. Though, I have very short hair. I swear by the stuff.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:03 PM   #102
workerant
Spaß im Dreck

Oddometer: 1,884
I rode the Continental Divide trail last summer with three (male) friends. I'm generally pretty low-maintenance, so I didn't mind not wearing makeup for three weeks (though I brought it with me).

Here's me, triumphant with toilet paper.

And queenpdog, Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap rocks the house. We bathed in lakes and streams a lot on the CD ride. We used Dr. Bronner's and (a) got clean and (b) didn't pollute.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #103
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,512
So what do you 'get' out of the label on the bottle?

JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog
When I am traveling light (backpacking, motorcycle trips, carry-on only...) I pack a small bottle of Dr. Bronner's liquid soap. I use it to wash my hair, body, dishes, clothes, dogs, everything else. I love the different aromas you can get and it is all organic oils. In fact, I use it at home to wash my hair as well. Though, I have very short hair. I swear by the stuff.

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:48 PM   #104
Kristen77042
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Thumb Miracle drug

Cipro must be one of the all time best miracle drugs. It'll whipe out a scorching UTI overnight. Also good for Anthrax, lower resperatory infections, sinutisis, infectious diarrhea, typhoid fever, and gonorrhea.

There are a few studies that show it is safe for women to self-medicate with it for UTI's. So most doctors worth having shoud be ok to write a prescription just in case the need arises.
Kristen77042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #105
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen77042
Cipro must be one of the all time best miracle drugs. It'll whipe out a scorching UTI overnight. Also good for Anthrax, lower resperatory infections, sinutisis, infectious diarrhea, typhoid fever, and gonorrhea.
Hopefully, you are not on such an adventurous trip to get all of these at the same time!
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote