Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2014, 05:58 AM   #1
maxpowers410 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
how do you keep your rubber parts happy?

What do you put on your rubbers to keep them happy? I'm talking rubber fork protectors, final drive stuff.
On my sportsbike I actually lubricate it with a little wd40 and the stuff has been like new for years I''ve got a bmw R80GS and not sure if I should apply the same "wisdom"...
maxpowers410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,939
Depends on the rubber bits but on a lot of it I occasionally giv'em a spritz with silicone spray. Won't restore, rejuvenate old rubber but "seems" to help with UV protection and keeping it from drying out/cracking as fast. Not saying it actually does help but seems to. Been using it for decades on old car door weather stripping. In any case silicone won't hurt rubber where as petroleum based lubes will.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
Tom_C
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Aerospace 303 Protectant, seems to actually help the rubber
http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-30350-Aerospace-Protectant/dp/B000XBCURW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403885663&sr=8-1&keywords=aerospace+303

Also used to use Gummi Pflege on my old Porsches with good results
http://www.amazon.com/einszett-914806-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber/dp/B004B8GTQG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403885818&sr=8-1&keywords=gummi+pflege+stick
Old 06-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,062
303 Protectant
NEVER Armour-All.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,274
303 is good

not the same exact thing, but I have rejuvenated hardened rubber with wintergreen oil.... no shit. something I read about a few years ago. wintergreen has a plasticizer in it that softens hard rubber. 2 years ago I soaked some 30 year old intake boots that were as hard as rock.... I checked the test piece a few days ago... still soft (the 2 pieces I used are still soft & working too). I have used it mixed with toluene and straight. the tol makes it work faster & penetrate deeper. I used the oil alone on a diaphragm, applied with a Q tip. put on enough to wet & let it soak in. repeated several times over a couple days & it quit soaking in. so I called it good. stiff as cardboard diaphragm turned to liked new flexie. also, it turns out that guys racing go-carts have a similar mix they use to soften the tires for grip... something made commercial but I don't remember the name. I got the wintergreen from a health food store, it's also used in sports medicine.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:33 AM   #6
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,669
The old fashioned approach is to rub glycerine on rubber parts. Silicone if no later painting concerns of nearby areas. Some tire mounting fluids seem to be good for rejuvenation.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:31 AM   #7
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,311
Buy "Red rubber grease" on ebay. Big can (500gr) of Miller's shipped to Canada from the UK was less than $20.00.I am good for 20 years even giving samples away to the ones not familiar with "rubber greases".

Specs are pretty good:

http://www.redrubbergrease.com/
Old 06-28-2014, 07:36 AM   #8
maxpowers410 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
cool. Coudn´t find any of the products suggested but I got some silicon spraywhich I will apply with caution
maxpowers410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #9
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,062
If you use silicone spray

Silicone spray should be "Food grade". It'll say it on the can. Some of the others have unnecessary propellants not good for rubber. You can find 303 or proper silicone at water sports places.