Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2007, 08:52 PM   #136
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,722
All I can say is "WOW." You should give up that car parts crap and hit up one of the major monthly glossies for a job. Your brand of honesty, wit, and insight is sorely needed everywhere, not just the motorcycling world. Drifter's a lucky, lucky kid......................

Thanks for making me laugh so hard.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #137
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,877
Aaaaccck! I've been addicted!

As a "johnny-come-lately" to this thread, I find myself amused, bemused, entertained, delighted, stimulated, and green-ated with jealousy. I wanna take off and wonder. No, the spelling is correct, I meant wonder, as in, wonder where this road goes, wonder where I'll be tomorrow, wonder if there's bears in these woods, wonder in the battery will start it in the morning.

I've not enjoyed a ride report, as literature, like this before. Mr. Gadget writes fabulous reports, filled with detail and photos. But you sir, write with your heart and mind and soul. I've long said that a woman's greatest asset is a mans imagination. the same could be said of road trips, thank you for your imagination and inspiration.
California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:07 PM   #138
SV650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Wish I had kept my PC

Just finished reading your report. Had lots of laughs. I bought a '98 PC in '99 for $5,200 with 5,000 miles on it. Great bike, as you said, don't think you can blow one of them up. I put 22,000 miles on it in two years and for some reason traded if off. One of the great mistakes of my 70 years. I got a lot of grief riding it but did'nt give a shit about that. One of the times, a asshole in a Chevy pick/up at a stop light asks the usual, is that a scooter or what. After trying to ignore him he asks if it will run. My answer, fast enough to outrun that piece of shit you are driving. As you know they were not the best bike to drag race on but I beat him to the next light. Again, great report.
SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:43 PM   #139
Northstar Beemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Outstanding report

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with other middle aged motorcycle riding cubicle dwellers.

Cheers!
Northstar Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:17 PM   #140
olenuf2nobetter
Doin' it anyway

Oddometer: 414
Laugh Pirsig spells better, but that's about it

I was going to post first about my cool new bike, yadda yadda, put together some pics, blah blah, then someone bumps this thread and I read it.

Freakin' awesome.

Delaware's got a couple things besides the Destroyers you might find enjoyable, and it's pretty easy to nick the northwestern corner...
olenuf2nobetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:22 PM   #141
granitehead
innocent bystander

Oddometer: 77
Great report and great machine! What a wonderful adventure to share with your son. That last shot of you in the cube is just heartbreaking though. It reminds me of Charlie going back to way he was before the treatments in Flowers for Algernon.

Looking forward to next year's ride report of the trip from Socal to Detroit. Oh hey, and congratulations on beating out St. Louis for the murder capital of the US. That's kinda like the Lions winning the NFC Central.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #142
bmwdave52
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thumb

Best ride report I've read in a long time.
bmwdave52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #143
towman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Laughed out loud couple of times, great write up!
I live pretty close to the cack's resting place, if you want I can ride it for you couple of times a year (my kids will love it)
towman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:42 PM   #144
bakerzdosen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Two big thumbs up from me.

I won't venture to give career advice, but I do look forward to your next adventure.
bakerzdosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #145
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,125
There went an hour of my life well spent!

Thanks for reminding us why we ride!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:18 PM   #146
Easy-Z
Me wanna be

Oddometer: 3,408
As an expat Michigander I can relate to so much of this report. The comments about the weather, the Lions, the auto industry.....My father retired last year after 32 years in tool and die at Generous Motors. It afforded me a pretty damn good childhood but upon retirement all the promises for years and years of pension, healthcare, discounts turned into, "take this modest check and punch out." My entire family has been in Michigan for, who knows? Generations. My folks worked their asses off and last year hopped in the GMC (powered by an Isuzu diesel) and towed a 5th wheel all over the country. Now that they've finally seen what's out there they can't wait to leave Michigan, if they could only get more than what they paid for the house - 25 years ago!

Excellent ride report! I was in Del Mar the same time you were.
Easy-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #147
danzbassman
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Dude, you are so going to get me into trouble. When my boss asks for my accomplishments this week I gotta find some way of finesssing "Read the greatest motorcycle ride chronicle ever" in to some sort of business related nerdspeak.

Excellent story. I've yet to do my first real road trip, but your story has really got my wunderlust boiling.

Thanks for a great post. It made work tolerable today.
danzbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:34 AM   #148
Big_Bend
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Ya, awesome trip report! Very inspiring..

I feel bad now that I spent all that $$ on a brand new BMW, but alas...

I am determined to take my son on a cross country trip soon. My wife is so afraid of what might happen, but the shared experiences vastly outweigh the possible risks. Your son has no idea who special that trip was, prob won't fully appreciate it for another 20 years.

Take care.. Allen
Big_Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:52 AM   #149
MilleArp
IPA junkie

Oddometer: 119
Thumb Awesome RR ! ! ! ! !

Impressive RR thread! The fuzzy foto'z are fine, camera's never capture the true beauty anyway, gotta see it 3D.

I did a solo ride from Detroit to San Diego back in '96 on a '95 K11LT. But, didn't stop much to "smell the roses". I saw much, but I also passed up much, as I had less than two weeks to do the 6,000 miles.

Noticed the HAUL ASS sticker. Fellow Orbitsuns fan??? I've ridden a lot with the lead guitarist this past year.

MilleArp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:10 PM   #150
Hugh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
As everyone else has said, your writing is great. One of the best reports I've read in ages. You've got me ready to hit the road, even on Thanksgiving day in the rain. Drat on you.

Just warn us when you are reunited with your bike and the next run starts.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote