User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2008, 05:21 PM   #211
Butcho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Nice Report Vermin

Nice to see you can have a great time without having to have all the best stuff... Going crazy in Redford Mi and waiting for the snow to melt, It was allmost got warm just reading your report. Going to take the bike on a adventure this summer.Am trying to get my 13 year old daughter to think about going.Im a dirt biker who last spring picked up a wee strom. I am hooked on this site.
Butcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #212
verboten1
nein

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcho
Nice to see you can have a great time without having to have all the best stuff... Going crazy in Redford Mi and waiting for the snow to melt, It was allmost got warm just reading your report. Going to take the bike on a adventure this summer.Am trying to get my 13 year old daughter to think about going.Im a dirt biker who last spring picked up a wee strom. I am hooked on this site.

I'm doing the same....waiting for it to warm up a little so I can get my KLR home.
hell even get the 'rago out
'75 CB550F: Cafe Frankenbike ---'82 XV920: The Cruiser---'01 Ninja 250: Wifey's Bike---'00 KLR685: The adventure bike
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:30 AM   #213
crosscountry
Bear went over Mountain

Oddometer: 2,410
man, that makes it look easy to ride a wheelie on a bicycle. I could never keep mine up for any length of time.

I went for the thrill of adventure and the desire to explore - Charlie Duke
crosscountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:09 AM   #214
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry
man, that makes it look easy to ride a wheelie on a bicycle. I could never keep mine up for any length of time.
I've had that problem, too, and not just on the bike.

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"

MikeyT screwed with this post 02-02-2008 at 07:27 AM
MikeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:48 AM   #215
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,701

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermin

I have a dream
OK we are all friends here right. I have a dream, I don't know if it can be realized. I would like to do a tour of America/Mexico off the grid. I would need a very reliable bike that was virtually valueless as far as humanity is concerned. I plan on turning the mechanical limitations into spiritual liberation.
Oh, this trip is going to be off-grid, on a valueless bike. Your sense of perspective is staggering

- Jim

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 02-06-2008 at 12:35 PM
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:55 AM   #216
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuy
For all you kids (under 40) who may still be trying to comprehend Vermin's devil-may-care approach to travel... perhaps this TV commercial from when he was a youngster will give you a better perspective.

My god! I can't believe that all those kids lived through the filming of that ad. No helmets! No pads! Standing on the seat! One didn't have shoes!

What the hell went wrong with us?

Great ride report. I can't wait for the next one.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #217
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,463
This ride report makes me wonder if anyone in a far away place would want to "buy" a 1200 Bandit for the princely sum of a ride to the airport and a plane ticket home
BENRON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #218
AlabamaCowboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
LMFAO....Love the commercial .....How did I miss that as a kid ? we didnt have the aftermarket wheelie bar...had to make do with balance... Cruising on the banana seat single speeds, at least til the street lights came on !!

No freaking idea how we survived....barefoot,,,,cutoff shorts...no shirts...summer blonde hair...Three Dog Night on the AM radio.... Once you took the fenders and chainguard off ...you were ready for some serious ramp jumping.....How many times did I come home with gravel "in" my skin, sit and get it picked out, only to get painted with Methayalade was it ? that weird stuff that was red...one version burned like crap the other didnt ?? then came the real fun, sitting at school, waiting til you could pull the entire scab off .......sweet...

Huge ramps at the bottom of driveways...huge crashes....hell legendary crashes....choppered mini bikes......Wished like hell I would wake up one day to find a Hodaka Wombat in the garage..(never happened)...hell we even built ramps to jump sleds when it snowed in North Alabama....pre global warming !! lol..

The last words I heard from one of my twin boys before he broke his arm the second time were...."Hey dad, come outside and check out the "Sweet" ramp I built." lol So I suppose some things dont change after all....

Man it makes you wanna ride and never come back huh ??
AlabamaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:02 AM   #219
vermin OP
unrepentant thinner

Oddometer: 539
Crashes with wolves

1970 protoVermin spent two days jumping off a ramp at the bottom of the (gravel) hill on his green Schwinn Stingray. On the night of day two it rained for hours compromising the structural integrity of the chipboard ramp. protoVermin wakes up eager to see what this new glorious day may bring. He calmly eats his malto meal entirely unaware of what lay in store. Malto meal consumed he puts on his dungarees and PF Flyer tennis shoes, goes outside and adds another cinderblock to the ramp and rides his pride and joy to the top of the hill. He shifts the crappy sturmey-archer hub transmission into third and pedals feverishly towards his inevitable doom.

(the last 3 seconds of this story happen in reeeeal slow motion)

Vermin
vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:00 AM   #220
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Have we veered way off topic here? Do the mods need to mop up? I guess so.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:58 AM   #221
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermin
1970 protoVermin spent two days jumping off a ramp at the bottom of the (gravel) hill on his green Schwinn Stingray. On the night of day two it rained for hours compromising the structural integrity of the chipboard ramp. protoVermin wakes up eager to see what this new glorious day may bring. He calmly eats his malto meal entirely unaware of what lay in store. Malto meal consumed he puts on his dungarees and PF Flyer tennis shoes, goes outside and adds another cinderblock to the ramp and rides his pride and joy to the top of the hill. He shifts the crappy sturmey-archer hub transmission into third and pedals feverishly towards his inevitable doom.

(the last 3 seconds of this story happen in reeeeal slow motion)

Vermin
OMG That reads sooo visual! I was laughing until I started to think, That had to Hurt!

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6

KCDakar screwed with this post 02-08-2008 at 07:07 AM
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:14 PM   #222
kluts
The Lost Tourguide

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDakar
OMG That reads sooo visual! ...
+1
Any motorcyclist caught holding up automobiles on a winding road will be forced to sell all fringed accessories, buy plaid pants and take up golf.-- Peter Egan ... my internal dialogue was a full on harangue. The Buddhist call this dialogue “the monkey mind” well my monkey mind had a brand new tire in its cage and was whippin’ it around... -Vermin, The Grapes of Rat
kluts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:54 AM   #223
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,466
What a great shot. What a great TR. Get out of that cube and write for a living. Many thanks here from a snow-bound Southern Wisconsin.

siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:17 AM   #224
cub
Adv-wannabe

Oddometer: 71
I just finished and like so many before me: Fantastic report! And probably the coolest bike on the site.

Now I'm heading over to Drifter's thread.
cub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:03 AM   #225
JB2
Open Road

Oddometer: 364
vermin,

I've consumed alot moto-words in my life but none quite so eloquent as yours. I had the privilege of traveling with my pop on the back of his motorcycle for years before getting my own bike. Good on you to make your son a part of this adventure. You may never know the value to him but he'll look back when he's fifty(like me) and it'll tug hard on his heart-strings. Ride hard, ride free.

JB2
JB2 is offline   Reply With Quote