AJS Trials, CB250K0, XL250K0
Oldrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:57 AM   #17
vermin OP
unrepentant thinner

Oddometer: 539
cheyenne or bust

DAY 3 (August 26th, 2007)

York, Nebraska, wake up, Bruce and Chip peel off to the south.

Some body guessed credit card issues BINGO my card quit working. I had a message on my phone to call the company. I called and come to find out my spending patterns where incongruous with my normal life so they put a hold on it. No Kidding. Easily fixed.

Drifter and I head west on US-34 toward Grand Island. In Grand Island we run across some artist types headed toward Burning Man in the desert of Cali(?) or Nevada I don’t know. It sounds like my kind of gathering. Unfortunately their school bus had alternator problems that had them behind time and stuck in Nebraska. While we where shooting the shit when a local farmer came over and gave it a good old fashioned roadside analysis that set them on the right path. Farmers are good at diagnosing problems on the fly with nothing but a screw driver and a pop can for tools. The cool thing about being out west is this farmer probably had a lot to do but he took time out to monkey with these guys rig.

Ya see there is this little D shaped hole under the alternator

Nuttin Honey

West on US-34 Ride, Ride, Ride, Ride, Ride, Corn, Corn, Grand Island, Corn, Ride, Ride, West on US-30 Ride, Ride, Ride, Ogallala, Ride, Ride, Ride, Ride, Ride, Grass, Grass, Dead Badger, Burnt Grass, Ride, Ride, Ride, Ride, Ride.

I miss having Bruce and Chip along for the familiarity/company but Drifter starts to hold his own conversation wise. We cruise down US-34 westbound, Even now there are things and places I would like to show him but we are limited to a week. We are cruising the Platte River Valley. It gives one a false sense of how green Western Nebraska really is. One of my favorite places is the Sand Hills to the northwest. I have been down the north/south road out of Hyannis Neb, before, not a tree or a driveway (maybe one) for 67 miles. Pure beauty, this is the area that people in cars can’t appreciate because it looks like nothing in a picture frame with a rear view mirror in it. You can’t really appreciate it until you have done it on a bike and are enveloped in the vibe. Of course survivor man could live off the grasshopper jerky that accumulates on your shins.

This is also the area where my bike, affectionately known as Cack, had to tow a buddies new Harley-Davidson Fat Bastard 15 miles with a close line rope, to a bar so he could call the North Platte Harley dealer to come get him. Apparently air cooled v-twins are still a novelty at the motor company and bad cam bearings should be accepted as part of the Harley experience. Does the Honda dealer have a nice trailer with a diamond plate ramp? Who knows, the Maytag repairman probably uses it to take his quad up north. Maybe they store brochures and key fobs in it.
I believe this particular experience contributed to this buddies zeal for golf.

Dead Badger, I had never seen one of these in the wild, they do look on’ry. This one was taking a nap on the shoulder of the road. I didn’t wake it up.

Big grain silo

Big train

We take our sweet time and hop on I-80 near North Platte.

Long run on sentence warning
Things are starting to heat up near Sidney Nebraska the cockpit temperation is into the low 100’s (105 this part is true) according to the hot tub thermorator, cable tied to the hole in my dash where the speedometer was, that I retained from my opulent 90’s lifestyle I lived in the early 2000’s. Sadly the hot tub had to be removed because its success relied on my wife getting into a bathing suit, but I cleverly kept the thermomajiger

We go west an unknown speed /mileage until we pull into Cheyenne Wyoming.

There is a nice downtown square with bands playing and people partying so we chuck out the anchor.

This is where drifter gives the illusion of photography. If I had known none of the pictures would turn out I would have given him a savage beating right downtown (gross exageration used for comic effect). But as it is we are back home with his mother so there can be nothing but tender pats on the head.

There was an old school hotel right downtown that had been refurbished that was the right price. It had a top notch restaurant and real cool coffee shoppe and gift shop on the first floor. The interior was all cowhide and western motif (oh crap I knew the word motif, I am definitely under suspicion again) The place had not been gutted during the rehab it had kept the original wood/tile/stained glass. It sufficed to give Drifter a taste of what existed before the freeways and the Super 8 motels. It was called “The Plains” I recommend it highly. Across the courtyard is the old depot that has been redone as a visitor center with some nice restaurants. Oh yea I forgot they have cool 6’ tall cowboy boots all over downtown with scenes of Wyomings past painted on them.

Again, please try to imagine it as there is scant photographic evidence.

All in all I would say downtown Cheyenne is doing it right.

We spent the evening walking around town. Saw the state capital. We went up on a bridge overlooking a rail yard and watched them switch trains and take off. It was still around 95deg. Didn't say much just stood around watching the sun go down.

In summary one of the better days I've had traipsing around this planet.

vermin screwed with this post 03-01-2008 at 05:24 AM
vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:09 AM   #18
bosco
Raybanned

Oddometer: 11,587
Out-frak'n-standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL8APEX
You guys don't know what you're in for!

Here's a pic of the Tupperware Torpedo in all its glory this time last year at Deal's Gap:

There is absolutely no reason that bike should still be running. Honda should buy this bike back just to do a teardown.

-Tom

Great report!

Old 09-11-2007, 06:46 AM   #19
vermin OP
unrepentant thinner

grammer

I have been informed that I confuse the words where and were using them inappropriately. I apologize. I have calcified arteries in the region of the brain that remembers that and I can't relearn it. Please forgive me.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:02 AM   #20
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Ride it like you stole it!!!!!!

Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:19 AM   #21
kadesean
eyesuck

Oddometer: 972
Man, anytime you see dead badgers in a thread you know it has to be good.

1992 BMW R100GS
2005 BMW R1200GS
kadesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #22
IDScarecrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Normally I dig the reports with lots of flashy artistic photos - but man, your prose is a fine substitute. A photo may be worth a thousand words, but there is no guarantee they will be good words. Yours are all good, even the misspelled ones.

My brother had a PC800. I was amazed to see him on two wheels at all, but when he did get a motorcycle I was not at all surprised to see he had found the only bike that actually decreases your testosterone level. Most scooters want to be bikes, but here is a bike that wants to be a scooter. He now drives a VW Cabrio . . . . Of course his didn't have the fine farkles yours has - I am sure he would envy the pine branch luggage support.

Great report!

IDScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:45 PM   #23
mhpr262
Summer is coming

Oddometer: 3,050
Man, that bike causes eye cancer

What´s the mileage on the odometer? Or, rather, what was the mileage on the odometer before it broke off?
mhpr262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #24
vermin OP
unrepentant thinner

miles

The odometer recieved the mallot at about 50,000 at the normal rate of usage I am guessing 70,000. The cool thing about that motor is I actually tried to blow it up last year at an easyrider rodeo to amuse the huddled masses. I turned the twisty thing until it stopped for about 20 seconds. Time goes really slow with a raging blender between your knees. Kind of like when you are about to crash. It did not blow. So I had to settle for having Avengers lift up the ass end soz I could get a head start on a rightous burn out (front brake full on). This portion of the proceedings was wildly successfull. This motor is BULLET proof.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:49 PM   #25
Hosebag
Difficult but Useful

Oddometer: 797
A most excellent adventure!!

Lucky you to have the boy along!
Hosebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #26
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,993
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:44 PM   #27
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,754
That bike would send a mechanic into a mild state of hysteria and unavoidable rambling.

Why?

You have no fork oil, speedometer, gas gauge, or tachometer. There is a hot tub thermometer for ambient temperature readings. Your luggage rack is something that 99.9999999% of American's throw away after it sits in their garage for 15 years. And it is a color of orange that makes it stand out like a deer hunter at a black-tie affair.

Damn straight.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:25 PM   #28
vermin OP
unrepentant thinner

rocky mountain high

Day-4 August 27

Sorry to leave Cheyenne, a pleasant place to hang. This trip has a nice mellow feel to it. When I was younger our trips where brutal, Bruce and I left Detroit one Friday afternoon afternoon, in 1990 and went to sleep Sunday night in Winnemuca Nevada. It seemed appropriate at the time but that time is past. I have done Iron Butt mileage but have never had the organizational skills to keep the paperwork in order. We head south down US-85 toward Greeley Colorado. The morning sun is perfect temp. and we are rolling effortlessly. A nice ride down the front range with the Rocky Mountains dancing along on our right.

Drifter hightailing across the majestic planes.

I stop at a post office in Nunn CO to mail a card. I am as good a husband as I am a mechanic as I erroneously scheduled this little trip to coincide with our 22nd anniversary, MORON.

In a feeble attempt at damage mitigation I have dragged an anniversary card through a couple of time zones so that through some fluke, should I remember, I could mail it to her. I was pretty damn proud of myself for remembering, until I pulled the card out of my tank bag and realized my STABIL brand fuel stabilizer had vomited all over it.

Think quick moron. I sent it to her anyway and put a heart around the stain and said the 22 anniversary is the fuel stabilizer anniversary as it represents the stability of our love.

I told Drifter to cross his fingers. I been with Sweet Thang for 25 years and the humor angle is bound to get stale. She is sho nuff pick o’ the litter and I don’t wanna loose her.

Headed down through Greeley and went west on US-34 headed toward Loveland and Rocky mountain national park. I kinda liked Greeley it had just the right amount of Mexicans, college students, working stiffs and just enough yuppies to keep it organized.
Of course this keen sociological study was done at 40mph on a sunny day so if it doesn’t reflect the Greeley Colorado you have seen, it is understandable.

Drifter and I have a nice breakfast in Loveland. It is a nice mom and pop diner. I can tell that Loveland has been swallowed by modern life as it is identical to the town we left in Michigan with the exception of the big lumps on the western horizon. Something is starting to bother me about the modern sophisticated world. Everyone lives in their own demographic age/income/race groups. Where are the old people in my town? There might not be any. What are they going to do with me when age forces my cost to exceed my productivity? What happens when the hamster can’t keep his wheel rolling?

“To the lumps Drifter”. It is pretty exciting as we start to climb Big Thompson canyon toward Estes Park.

This is the first taste of big rocks we have had in a while and it is exhilarating.

Alot of people don't understand motorcycling. I don't understand wanting to hang onto a hot rock all afternoon. Look close and you can see the guy.

At the entrance of the park a few respectable gentlemen on BMW r/75s from Boulder accost me and are gradually won over by the spirit of CACK. Hey they asked. We see them off and on throughout the day.

Having a bike like this is a nice efficient asshole detector if a person doesn’t smile or makes a critical remark we don’t have to waste many of our precious moments on earth talking to them. The beemer guys passed with flying colors and were good company.

Nice twisties

Rocky Mountain white rumped sheep.

Estes Park

I marvel at my machine, at 12,000 feet above sea level, it runs like a top. It still has the factory spark plugs and wires.

I marvel at Drifter, we have had a fair amount of physical duress and he has been grinning from ear to ear this whole trip.

We get up above the tree line and go into one of these nature walk areas at the top of one of the mountains and do the high altitude walk,gasp,walk,gasp. It was nice because we are in good enough shape to hike out where most casual tourist can’t go and have some nice alone visiting time.

It was in this section that alot of unnatural noises where coming out from Drifters helmet as occasionally the right, left or both sides of the road would vanish and you had a coupla thousand foot drop. Should I have checked the brake fluid?

On a more ominous note there is something attacking the pines in the park, near the town of Grand something. There is not a living tree on the entire side of the mountain. The waitress that gave me the details on the pine situation was a Romanian exchange student and her knowledge of North American botany was a bit sketchy. I could have inquired further but chances are the truth would have bummed me out so we booked.

Coming down the backside into Grandby was bliss cool, a little overcast and little traffic. I was getting tuckered out by the time we left Granby.

If the shoe fits.

The only buffalo we saw the whole trip who cares if it was bronze?

We cruised out US-34 to CO 9 at Kremmerling and headed south to Copper Mountain where we had kinfolks waiting.

Thank god, friendly familiar faces. They are both marathon runners and they do their long days at 10,000 feet. Drifters aunt can kick your dads ass. Aunty cooked up some kick ass red beans and rice and her beau grilled some good chicken and the Corona fairy had left a nice present.
Nice digs too, a condo at the bottom of the Copper Mountain ski lift.

They always make us feel welcome and we love them to pieces.

Good Night
Old 09-12-2007, 04:58 AM   #29
vermin OP
unrepentant thinner

cool rat bike site

If anyone is interested in the developement of a rat bike as an art form check out this site. This page is featuring my previous rat. That bike was captured in the old Iron Horse mag.

People on this site rock.

Vermin

http://ratbike.org/michigan.html
Old 09-12-2007, 06:00 AM   #30
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119
That bike would send a mechanic into a mild state of hysteria and unavoidable rambling.

Why?

You have no fork oil, speedometer, gas gauge, or tachometer. There is a hot tub thermometer for ambient temperature readings. Your luggage rack is something that 99.9999999% of American's throw away after it sits in their garage for 15 years. And it is a color of orange that makes it stand out like a deer hunter at a black-tie affair.

Damn straight.
However "It still has the factory spark plugs and wires".
Great report!
linkweewee is offline   Reply With Quote