User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
MFGamesta OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Eek Help me decide please

So I'm helping my son pick out a dual-sport to be used primarily in the dirt. What I mean by dirt is local trails in SoCal (Cleveland National Forrest kind of stuff) and trailered trips to the desert and DV.

He currently rides a 2013 Sertao and is wanting something smaller for the fun-factor. He's 6'4 and weighs 165 pounds. (Skinny MF) Seat height is not an issue.

Would a 250-class bike (like a WR250R) be too small for him?

We are looking at new and used options as it wouldn't be his primary bike and we can fix pretty much anything mechanical if it's no more difficult than rebuilding a small-block Chevy from the suspension to the motor.

I'm guessing we could wrench the hell out of a 2000 KTM if it broke down provided there are parts available. If going used, what bikes have the best availability for engine and chassis parts?

A bonus would be for the bike to haul my 185 pound ass around when I want to ride it.

Thanks for your help.
MFGamesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 11,364
Plated KTM, Husky, or similar.
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
Bullwinkle58
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
For primarily dirt riding, I would want more than what the WR 250 is capable of. I really don't think you can go wrong with a KTM EXC, especially since your kid will probably get better/faster as time goes on (if he can't outride the WR already). CA dmv is randomly pulling plates on bikes with offroad vin #'s (so I hear), so you need to go newer than 2008 I believe if you go with a KTM EXC.
Parts being hard to get isn't something to worry about these days, especially in SoCal.
Bullwinkle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #4
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 11,364
07+ EXC are plateable in CA, but finding an 07 is tough. I've seen earlier models plated, but worry that the plate could be pulled at any time.

And yeah, any Japanese 250 will suffer in the dunes. Nowhere near enough power.
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
w33b8t1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
I'm 6'4". And 200 lbs.

My wife has a wrr that she rides on occasion. While it's not really my primary bike I have taken it for a few spins, jumped it a bit, done some climbs....

It runs really good for me carrying another 40 pounds on you son. I wouldn't let the extra bike weight bother me. The bike is really well balanced.

The only immediate negatives for me is the valving in the rear shock and the lack of a bottom end. It needs RPMs to get it done just like a classic 125 smoker would.

I also have a 500exc and 300 smoker so I have some idea of the comparison.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:55 PM   #6
MFGamesta OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Thanks for the info.

Used plated dual sports in SoCal are hard to come by.

If I see a 2010 EXC on craig's or cycle trader, it's only a couple grand less than sticker and I ask my self, would I rather get a used 2010 with a few hundred hours and related rash for 8K or get a brand new one with a limited warranty for 10K. If I can save up 8K, I might as well suck it up and save for the rest or put 8K down and finance the rest. It will take a while for my son to save up that kind of cash even if I help him a little bit.

I'd rather drop 3K and wrench the rest.

I guess I'll make sure I have the cash ready to go and just start pinging the sites every hour or until we have good down payment cash...

Once again. Thanks.
MFGamesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:15 AM   #7
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by w33b8t1 View Post
I'm 6'4". And 200 lbs.

My wife has a wrr that she rides on occasion. While it's not really my primary bike I have taken it for a few spins, jumped it a bit, done some climbs....

It runs really good for me carrying another 40 pounds on you son. I wouldn't let the extra bike weight bother me. The bike is really well balanced.

The only immediate negatives for me is the valving in the rear shock and the lack of a bottom end. It needs RPMs to get it done just like a classic 125 smoker would.

I also have a 500exc and 300 smoker so I have some idea of the comparison.
Why on earth recommend a 50/50 dualsport bike that is full of compromises and mediocre suspension for someone who's stated usage is dirt and trailered long trips?
Old 03-03-2015, 05:33 AM   #8
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,337
Ktms are the VW beetle of the dirt bike imo. So many available used parts and crossover of parts. You can get a 1997, put 2015 forks and last gen pds shock on it and have a really decent moto bike. My kids and I have built a few, and my oldest races a 1999 125SX, it's as fast as any other 125 built today. We did basically the above, all modern suspension and updated the body parts.

Look for whatever passes for titled in your state, or what would pass as legal there from elsewhere. There are good deals out there.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:34 AM   #9
w33b8t1
Gnarly Adventurer

Well I guess it's because he lives in California so if he needs a dual sport then you can't just plate anything you want.

So what are the options?

A fifteen year old bike with fifteen year old problems? That sounds like a ball of fun. Spend all summer fixing it and not riding.

A brand new ktm 350exc? Sure, if you have the coin then it is a great answer.

If he wants a dirt bike then buy one, but don't put "dual sport" in the title.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:40 AM   #10
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Not every ten year old bike has problems!

Edit, ok not every fifteen year old bike.... Lol!

Smart shopping means knowing what your looking for and not settling. There are bikes out there that'll hit craigslist with near zero miles that need nothing. I'm in NJ so I know his titling pain. Find out what will work in Ca.

Another thought, you can build a decent hot rodded DRZ400 too. More common, lower value used that a KTM. Lots of potential, I raced a Y back in 2000 in MX. Easy to wrench and mod. Good platform and less $.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:48 AM   #11
w33b8t1
Gnarly Adventurer

Navin, I get the point.

But if he wants a titled bike just like you know and just like I know in NM, you don't just go pick out a dirt bike and put lights on it.

The first post says dual sport, so even if it is 99% dirt! you still need a plate and in some states that means you compromise huge.

In his first post he also says 2000 year bike. That is fifteen fucking years old. . To me that indicated his budget wasn't that large so why suggest a new 350exc.

Drz may have more power, but I find it hard to believe it is a huge step above in handling and suspension. They are both little dual sports.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:49 AM   #12
The_Precious_Juice
In Garrison.

Oddometer: 2,159
Wr250r

Greetings,

The WR250R would be at the end of the spectrum.

The Sertao is about 430lbs
The WR250R is 295lbs.
So, the Yamaha will seem more friendly off road. It is just 1.9 gallon tank in Cali.

Even though the MC is kind of tubby for single trail stuff, it will be ok, AND it will be able to do tarmac (6 gears) duties ok without the hours building up.

It is a comprimise MC.

As already posted, The bottum end torque is not there, so if you'all like to ride hard, then the WR250R will be an ok choice.

Find one with a better suspension, then play around with the sprockets or something.

The WR250R should be a top three pick for sure!

Good luck with your search.

If it was me, I would get a DR200. But, I can't really ride off road good enough to put that MC to the test. So the WR250R would be too much for me.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:01 AM   #13
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by w33b8t1 View Post
Navin, I get the point.

But if he wants a titled bike just like you know and just like I know in NM, you don't just go pick out a dirt bike and put lights on it.

The first post says dual sport, so even if it is 99% dirt! you still need a plate and in some states that means you compromise huge.

In his first post he also says 2000 year bike. That is fifteen fucking years old. . To me that indicated his budget wasn't that large so why suggest a new 350exc.

Drz may have more power, but I find it hard to believe it is a huge step above in handling and suspension. They are both little dual sports.
A huge step, no. In fact, ergos are a step behind, but the suspension has as much potential as the WRR, some years more. The wonderful RM twin chambers slide right in too, though the stickers can be valved and sprung to work very well.

We had a WRZr in the family, under my son of about 160 lbs, 5-11. At a certain pace, casual, it was ok. Step it up and your bouncing off the trail. Depends what you want. I found it less dirty than a DRZ, single rad and high RPMs, little torque and I'm an ex 125 fanatic. Not much upside in the WRR combo imo.

In nj, little ca., guys have plated older RM250s. YZs, all sorts of stuff. Get to know the guys riding out there and the ins and outs of your area. And don't forget the plated lc4 bikes for mostly off road ds riding!
Old 03-03-2015, 06:51 AM   #14
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,974
Having grown up in that area and still living in Commiefornia, I get it.

For those of you not living in our great state of mindless bureaucrats and enviro-warriors, it poses some interesting challenges of ownership. Unless you restrict your riding to a dedicated OHV (Off Highway Vehicle park) then there is a good chance your riding will take you somewhere where you'll need a street plate.

This happened to me years ago. I was riding in the National Forest on a jeep road, which I had been riding on for years with my Green Stickered dirt bike (a license to ride it off road on public lands). I got stopped by a ranger for not having a street plate. I explained that I had been riding here for years and knew it not to be needed. He then explained to me the designation had changed and it was now required. WTF?!?!!?!? He said the district ranger had changed it. She could, so she did, period. To end the story, no I didn't get a ticket, but did get a warning with a big note-to-self.

Now I ride only dirt bikes with street plates, or dedicated dual sports with all of the compromises inherent to both.

To the OP. I'd suggest a DRZ with the expectation that it will need aftermarket help. Ideally, a well cared for older KTM or Yamaha WR that has been plated. DMV is only pulling plates on dirt bikes issued or manufactured after 2005. Anything older than that is gold because of a court ruling.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:59 AM   #15
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

As bad as that is, it's better than N.j. We need a street plate to race an enduro. No public trails at all. We can ride dirt roads that cars are allowed on unless a special use permit is approved and that's looking like a thing if the past too.

Good local info for the op. That opens up plated bikes pre 05.