Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #151
Minimike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Just checked the thread out & really like this bike. A lot. Enough to buy a Yamaha again. It's been a really long time since the SRX250 & the Radian.

Ok, so I called.

They didn't seem too excited about the conversation until I told them that I had a HP2 & the wife has a F650. Then they wanted to know why I wanted their bike. So I went over the few positive features I knew about. I could hear them typing everything I said.

Really, I'm not making this up.

It was almost as if the two people I talked to don't ride and were amazed that someone wants something they make. The second person tried to get me to look at a TTR to purchase. Well ok, that's a nice bike too but not really an ADV-tourer bike. ADV? What's that?

Funny, when I called ext#1 is for "Star" products. The cruisers have their own extension. Maybe the "Star" customers get to talk to someone that rides.

Both people I talked to were really nice.

Anyone for another "Star" model?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #152
alpiv
Sr. nOOb

Oddometer: 2,173
competitionin this space is only healthy!
alpiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #153
bonedale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Finally a Japanese thumper designed this decade

Wow, it's about fucking time. I thought the Japanese were just in denial that dual sports existed. Besides the weight, it is looking real good.

Something like this is what Kawi should have done with the KLR upgrade. Instead they pussed out and just put on some plastic. Now Suzuki can play its hand with the DR upgrade. Are they going to just add some more crap plastic to the old designs of the 80s, or are they going to put out a bike that can complete with this bike, or will they go towards the TE610.

All in all this is great news. Finally a japanese company is competing for this class of bike. Ironically, KTM and BMW are looking in different directions now. So maybe we are just looking at a late arrival to a dying breed.
bonedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:34 PM   #154
T125
Slightly Overdressed

Oddometer: 278
This is a VERY interesting bike. On paper. In Europe. Still, I look forward to evals from foreign moto journalists.

Between this and the KLR redesign, it's "interesting times" for mid-sized dual sports. If this bike were to make it here, I don't think it would be more than $7000. It seems to be the same XT engine (no new cost to Yamaha) put into a reworked chassis and suspension with new body panels (far cheaper than designing a new motor). This is basically the same approach Kawi took with the KLR, and the new model--at $5349 MSRP--is only about $150 more than the '07s were. Is the XT $1600 more bike? I dunno...

Weight is actually quite comparable. Gassed up it looks like the Tenere is going to be about 10# heavier than the 2008 KLR:
'08 KLR: 428# wet (according to topgun at http://www.topgunmotorcycles.com/2008klr/08_klr_page2.html)
'08 Tenere: 438# wet (assuming about 16kg for 22L of fuel)
But remember that with the under-seat tank, the handling and perceived weight/topheaviness could be VERY different. My guess is the bike will FEEL lighter despite being heavier...

I'm pretty intrigued. Enough to call and leave a voicemail for Mr. Starr too. The first woman I got told me that quite a few calls had come in about the XT, but said that written letters carry the most weight. Maybe I'll send one with the URL of this thread...
T125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:53 PM   #155
alpiv
Sr. nOOb

Either I'm not as eloquent a speaker as SamM or they have had so many calls they have a canned response.
Please write the corporate office at this address and express your interest in the unit.
There is no e-mail address that can be provided at this time.

Well, what do you do besides write them and send it via snail mail?

I'd love to put together a partition site where one could input their information and be added to a list to be sent off to them.

Yet, who should this information be sent to?
What department would care enought to really look at it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM
I just got off the phone with Yamaha Customer Relations. If you have any interest at all in the Yamaha XT660Z Tenere call these people now. The lady that I talked with had information on the new 2008 US dualsports but not the XT660Z. I explained that it would be available soon in Europe as a 2008 model and she checked out the European website to see the bike for herself. She assured me that she would pass on to corporate Yamaha that I was interested in the 660 and they took all my information. Call these people now! The lady I talked with was in Wisconsin. I was transfered to her from the toll free number. Hey, it doesn't cost you anything to make the call!

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
6555 Katella Avenue
Cypress, CA 90630

Sales, marketing and distribution of Motorcycles, ATVs, Snowmobiles and Race Kart Engines.

Customer Relations
(800) 962-7926

Marketing Dept:
(714) 761-7617
Old 09-11-2007, 01:53 PM   #156
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer: 1,132
I called too............they guy I talked too took my number and said he would call me if any info about it being state side is released. I did hear him type my number but he pretty much sounded like he thought I was on crack. He was very nice but just thought I was crazy. The good news is it doesn't sound like I was the first call he had taken about it.
johnson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #157
Knute Dunrvnyet
marooned in realtime

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef
startrek pipes must go!!........think I want one but need a bit more seat height though
Yeah, the Japs sometimes get carried away with their "styling." I wouldn't be seein' that while I was riding it tho! The red/white is great, "historic."

-but geez, what's yer inseam? a 35"+ seat height is more than tall enuff for my short lil' 31" legs.

We must all contact Yamaha... must- contact- Yamaha- must-- offer it here- -
[I could unload my ol' XT, and Tengai.]
"Ride Hard, You can Rest when you Die."- Emmett Watkins, #245, 1958-2005
Knute Dunrvnyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #158
shoco
Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Alright people. If written letters "carry the most weight", then let's get on it! Get the cobwebs off those pens and start writing!!

Here's the address, and if I'm wrong, someone correct me.

Let's get this freakin' bike released here in the States!!!

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
6555 Katella Avenue
Cypress, CA 90630
shoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #159
alpiv
Sr. nOOb

Who is good with writting/typing good letters.
We can produce a canned letter and were one would add their information, like riding history and bikes they have owned in the past and the bike they are looking to replace with the new Tenere.
This type of information might get their attention, seeing their competitors name.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:32 PM   #160
shoco
Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Dear Yamaha of America,

It has come to my attention that you are releasing a Yamaha XT660 Tenere in Europe and other parts of the world. It is to my delight that this bike is being released, but to my dismay, NOT in the United States.

The purpose of this letter is to request in the strongest way possible that you bring this bike Stateside and release it to US customers. You will not be disappointed.

The adventure-touring segment of motorcycling is alive and well. For proof, head on over to www.advrider.com/forums. Right now, in fact, a thread has been started over the excitement of the Yamaha XT660 Tenere (enter URL here).

You will find that there is a large segment of the American motorcycle community excited in bikes like the Tenere. We are all owners of large bore dual sport bikes like the Tenere, such as the Kawasaki KLR650, the Suzuki DR650, the Suzuki DL650 and DL1000, the BMW F650, the KTM640, 950 and 990, and the Honda XR650, to name a few. We've been waiting for a Japanese company like Yamaha to release a modern, large bore dual sport bike like the Tenere here in the States. You'll be ahead of your competitors if you do, and high sales volume will be the proof.

Congratulations on releasing a great product, and please bring the XT660 Tenere to the US!

Signed,

Screenname " "
Owner of:
Previous Owner of:
-------------
Just a quickie, but how does it sound?

shoco screwed with this post 09-11-2007 at 02:41 PM
shoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:32 PM   #161
Svendura
KTM 640 Adventure

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by T125
This is a VERY interesting bike. On paper. In Europe. Still, I look forward to evals from foreign moto journalists.
As soon, as there is a first report or testing of the bike here in Germany,
I will translate it, scan the pics and tables and post it here. I can hardly
await the report from my favorite bike magazin www.enduro-press.de
Bad website, but great magazine for D/S bikes.

The best site for test reports here in Europe is www.1000ps.de they have
already announced the Tenere.

Regards,
Svenja Svendura
Old 09-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #162
Adh007
Needs to get back to work

Oddometer: 771
How about a poll, Just for funsies....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265611
Old 09-11-2007, 02:36 PM   #163
Svendura
KTM 640 Adventure

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoco
Dear Yamaha of America,

It has come to my attention that ....
Wow! Great. I'm not a native speaker, but this sounds realy
great to me. It is polite and yet strong enough.

I'd sign it at once!

Regards,
Svenja Svendura
Old 09-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #164
T125
Slightly Overdressed

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svendura
As soon, as there is a first report or testing of the bike here in Germany,
I will translate it, scan the pics and tables and post it here. I can hardly
await the report from my favorite bike magazin www.enduro-press.de
Bad website, but great magazine for D/S bikes.

The best site for test reports here in Europe is www.1000ps.de they have
already announced the Tenere.

Regards,
Svenja Svendura
Fantastic, Svenja! That would be great!
T125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #165
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,220
Another vote for Yamaha to bring this to the US. Another choice is good, and competition is better. Best part, from my perspective, is that it might shorten the line for those of us chomping at the bit for the new KTM 690.
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote