ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 04:51 AM   #5026
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
Time to start tagging moving objects?
or the goodyear blimp, it flies over every now and then. I think I may have a file photo already.
I play the North America Wildcard tag every once in a while also.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:21 AM   #5027
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,734
Quote:
you got your signature line right, didn't you?

But your point is on target. Customer service isn't always the first priority as it should be. When the shop is small and they tick off a few customers, they may run out of customers quickly and close the doors. The bigger stores can get away with it more, they take longer to die.
You hit the nail on the head, for small business it's bust ass for each and every customer, where the big huge palaces have been able to skate by for years on volume of traffic. Funny thing is the trend in the moto industry has been that the giants have been struggling the last few years while the small places have seen steady growth. That actually comes from discussions with our sales reps who make their money when their dealer accounts large and small buy. Look what happened to Andrews Cycles, they expanded that building over the years until it was a huge palace, but good God what the overhead must have been! When you have that much overhead, the easiest place to save is dirt cheap labor. So when the kid selling you the "waterproof" jacket turns out to not now anything about his products it should be no surprise.

The real killer is the type of situation Hateithere was telling me about last week, that I hope he doesn't mind me sharing. Guy comes into his shop asking advice on jetting for a bike he can't get to run right. He takes the time with the guy to really get him good advice on proper jetting for that bike (i got the impression it was a bike he is familiar with), and the guy says "thanks i'm gonna order the jets from bike bandit tomorrow"! I think he was later found bludgeoned to death on the side walk next to a bloody carburetor, but that was totally unrelated.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:29 AM   #5028
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,344
In that part of Akron bludgeoning is a sport! Not very good of the customer though. It's tough to beat internet prices, tough to find decent service.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #5029
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
In that part of Akron bludgeoning is a sport! Not very good of the customer though. It's tough to beat internet prices, tough to find decent service.
Surprisingly, on most moto stuff, it's not hard for the small Ma & Pa places to beat up internet prices if they want to.
The margins on some stuff are ridiculous! The challenge is we all deal with "Minimum Advertised Price" polices from the manufacturers. So while Ma can usually make you a much better deal (especially on big ticket items) than a place like Revzilla or the big box, all three places have to adhere to those same M.A.P. policies. Wherever you live and whoever Ma & Pa are it's usually just a matter of asking them to beat the internet price. Even some dealerships that are more about good customer service will usually do it. The exception is TIRES, the most purchased thing for bikes. Unless you are in a position to buy a truck load of tires at a time it's about impossible to match web prices.

The other trend is that for the most part it is those Ma & Pa places and old school dealerships that also do more to support the sport. Weather it is supporting the local track, sponsoring racers, sponsoring clubs, or backing up the riders rights groups most support comes from the grass roots of the industry. Three of the best in Ohio are Ohio Motorcycle (aka Cleveland Akron Honda) in Cleveland & Columbus, MotOhio also in Columbus, and American Powersport in Findlay. I've met the owners of all 3, and they are guys who genuinely care about the sport.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #5030
Jon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
Surprisingly, on most moto stuff, it's not hard for the small Ma & Pa places to beat up internet prices if they want to.
The margins on some stuff are ridiculous! The challenge is we all deal with "Minimum Advertised Price" polices from the manufacturers. So while Ma can usually make you a much better deal (especially on big ticket items) than a place like Revzilla or the big box, all three places have to adhere to those same M.A.P. policies. Wherever you live and whoever Ma & Pa are it's usually just a matter of asking them to beat the internet price.
I can attest that Geauga Power Sports gave me a price on my Wolfman Tank Bag that beat the MSRP. Since I did not have to pay shipping it worked out to be a nice savings. Matt got it for me in a weeks time too so there is no advantage time wise versus anywhere else. So that's a win for me and hopefully helps Matt put a little $ into the business as well.

I try to only shop at smaller locations for everything when possible but I also always ask for a break on bigger items. I know it seems strange if you have never done this but 9 times out of 10 the local mom and pop will give a bit of a break. I then do my best to continue to support said shops whenever I need something and never ask for a deal again but tend to just be rewarded with small perks for my continued support. I still feel that at most owner operated small businesses you can still get great customer service and consumer satisfaction not only leads to repeat sales but also positive word of mouth advertising locally. I barter a lot too but that's a whole other game.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #5031
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

John thanks for pushing us over the edge to sign up with Wolfman! I had never seen their product in my own hands, and honestly was not getting all the hype. When we got that fist shipment I was totally blown away by the design, function, and quality (and on such simple items). In fact you nearly had to duel at 50 paces to get that tank bag! Wolfman is also another great Ma & Pa moto business. Super nice folks, very supportive of small rider shops, and *gasp* their stuff is made in the USA!

Oh, and if it hadn't been the first order, plus it was coming from Idaho it wouldn't have taken a week. We're going to make an effort to keep Wolfman in stock.

muddyrabbit screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 08:09 AM
Old 09-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #5032
dyrtybyrd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
M.R., I have tremendous respect for anyone that owns and is successfully able to operate a small business today. The obstacles to success are many, and overcoming them not easy.

You touched on something that is critical to a successful small business.......keeping overhead in check. I've seen too many businesses take out huge loans to expand, or purchase the latest and greatest in machinery and equipment, then have a slump in sales(for whatever reason) and lose the business because they couldn't make the loan payments. If they wouldn't have overeached, in most cases, they would have been able to ride out the slump and keep the business going.

I wish you continued success and hope to make it up to meet you sometime soon.....although(no offense) riding up your way is not my idea of fun.

And, you're right, Wolfman products are top shelf. I have their tankbag on my DR and love it.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #5033
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyrtybyrd View Post

You touched on something that is critical to a successful small business.......keeping overhead in check. I've seen too many businesses take out huge loans to expand, or purchase the latest and greatest in machinery and equipment, then have a slump in sales(for whatever reason) and lose the business because they couldn't make the loan payments. If they wouldn't have overeached, in most cases, they would have been able to ride out the slump and keep the business going.
Yup, I saw many examples of that also. When we decided to do this we took out no loans, borrowed NOTHING! Everything was done out of pocket on a shoe string budget. We put most of what GPS makes back into GPS. We got into it for the love of the sport, and that's why we are still at it. We take care of each rider as best we can, and each year we already see the same riders returning for fresh tires and new gear in the spring. They bring a friend that rides, and each year we grow a little bit.

You'll have to get up here and let us show you some of the fun stuff to ride sometime. It's hard to find but it is here. Remind me, what are you riding?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #5034
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,344
Incurring too much debt while starting a small business sinks many, no doubt. Profit margins are becoming smaller with increased fuel prices, among other things. Luckily, in Ohio, the influx of frackers has boosted our business quite a bit. I know there are good and bad parts of the drilling but it has really boosted the economy where we work.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #5035
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Thomas are the fuel costs putting a hurt on you this year, or is it not that bad since you only move to and from the fairs?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #5036
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Greetings from Beijing airport. found this gem in a Newark book store - enjoy.

or maybe not - either picasa is down or it is blocked from over here - no ADV salute pictures for you
works rrrreeeeeaaaalllyy ssssllllooooowwww - but there it is

avatar sized if you feel the need
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-y...6avatar-sm.jpg

Old 09-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #5037
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,060
Quote:
Time to start tagging moving objects?

Add gravel roads.....

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #5038
SlipChip OP
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Add gravel roads.....
NEOh tag is open to gravel roads, it's that "other" tag game that discourages gravel...

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #5039
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
NEOh tag is open to gravel roads, it's that "other" tag game that discourages gravel...
So, we wlcome the use of gravel roads based on the fact that there aren't any in the region?
Old 09-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #5040
SlipChip OP
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,285
Quote:
So, we wlcome the use of gravel roads based on the fact that there aren't any in the region?
Yeah, that's it! Actually I think that is the best part about our opening up the extents of our tag zone lat yearis that it adds a whole lot more interesting roads. Granted, we don't have anything like bat's nest up here but there is defintely some good stuff to the South East of the region now.

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is online now   Reply With Quote