ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2008, 08:49 PM   #586
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,061
We HAD some ravines like that south of East Canton we rode mtb's in back in the 90's but they are condos and a golf course now. One put me in the hospital with many injured joints and bruised kidneys when the front wheel collapsed at the bottom.

My brother and I look back at that stuff and wonder what we were thinking?

Old School, not so cool...

In fact, this is the bike I "bit it" on, Tomac Signature Raleigh Titanium. Max speed at this race, Cactus Cup, 49mph wearing double thick panty hose and a beer cooler, 2" of fork travel.If you still MTB, you need to go to Mohican State Park. 25 miles, one lap, no roads.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #587
FatherX
demisocial

Oddometer: 4,460
THAT

Is

AAAAAWESOOME!!!

You make me giggle sir.

A Tomac no less...

THAT is what I'm talking about!

The authenticity is exacerbated by the SCANNED photo.

so nice, so nice.

Thank you
Old 11-12-2008, 08:57 PM   #588
FatherX
demisocial

Is that you or Chuck Norris?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #589
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

easy to excite?

Unfortunately, that is me competing in my 1st big pro race as an expert, the Specialized Cactus Cup. Ned Overend won the race, a dozen or more minutes ahead of me. I am thinking that was 15 years ago. BTW, I still have that bike and it is race ready and could be yours? Do you ride a 19"? Full XT except LX crank and Marzocci Atom 80 fork.

I took a paint marker with me to get Tomac to sign the bike for real, he didn't show up and I even had my cowboy hat on! putz...

I still compete a couple times a year, but I have tuned back to the motorized beasts that have plagued my wallet since 1980. Of course, bicycles have become more expensive.

My new KTM XCF-W, $5,995 - 200+ pounds of Steel and Alloy, goes faster than stink itself.

A new middle of the road race bicycle; $3,500 - $7,000 and YOU have to make it go!! (that's why I buy used!!) Cuyohoa Velo Sport has Colnago frame and fork, nothng else on sale for $5,995, the same price I paid for my COMPLETE MOTORCYCLE!!!

That's ok, I just saw the price of a new 525 and a 990 - holy @$^&#!!!

Old 11-13-2008, 05:01 AM   #590
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman
Ohio-PT, looks like I'll be spending Sunday replacing fork seals on the 950. must have ground some dirt in them at Crow Canyon.
Install some of the long neoprene seal savers while you have the forks out. I have them on my 450 and they work very well.
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:35 AM   #591
FatherX
demisocial

Quote:
Unfortunately, that is me competing in my 1st big pro race as an expert, the Specialized Cactus Cup. Ned Overend won the race, a dozen or more minutes ahead of me. I am thinking that was 15 years ago. BTW, I still have that bike and it is race ready and could be yours? Do you ride a 19"? Full XT except LX crank and Marzocci Atom 80 fork.

I took a paint marker with me to get Tomac to sign the bike for real, he didn't show up and I even had my cowboy hat on! putz...

I still compete a couple times a year, but I have tuned back to the motorized beasts that have plagued my wallet since 1980. Of course, bicycles have become more expensive.

My new KTM XCF-W, $5,995 - 200+ pounds of Steel and Alloy, goes faster than stink itself.

A new middle of the road race bicycle; $3,500 - $7,000 and YOU have to make it go!! (that's why I buy used!!) Cuyohoa Velo Sport has Colnago frame and fork, nothng else on sale for $5,995, the same price I paid for my COMPLETE MOTORCYCLE!!!

That's ok, I just saw the price of a new 525 and a 990 - holy @$^&#!!!

I know!!! My stump jumper comp with xt/lx and tidye rims cost me 1.5/2K to build? (8 years ago) A new epic is $2400?

That's just a getter done steed. I'll just keep riding old blue.

As far as moto
I'm teetering between DP or ST upgrade in the spring.

I ride an interceptor now and have abused it on fire roads and such. Sooo....VStrom 650 or ????

He only got you by a dozen minutes or so eh? NOT Bad
Old 11-13-2008, 07:48 AM   #592
FatherX
demisocial

Quote:
... still have that bike and it is race ready and could be yours? Do you ride a 19"? Full XT except LX crank and Marzocci Atom 80 fork.

Although, I have a good friend and avid MTB collector who may be interested for nostalgic reasons? Still got that marker? We could probably get a pretty close match to Ned's SIG.

If yer serious. He is a not short guy like you. He would actually ride it unlike me (I would hang it in the barn with all the other dusty corpses). PM detail
Old 11-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #593
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Father8

Ask Ohio-PT about big bikes, he has a 950 and a couple 400+ dual sports. I have no clue how off-road worthy a Vstrom is. It depends on how much off-roading you plan to do.

I have been considering turning the Husky into a KTM640 Dakar wannabe.

btw, the Raliegh has a low stand over, but a long top tube. I also have a 21" Kona t find a home for.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:20 PM   #594
FatherX
demisocial

Quote:
Father8

Ask Ohio-PT about big bikes, he has a 950 and a couple 400+ dual sports. I have no clue how off-road worthy a Vstrom is. It depends on how much off-roading you plan to do.

I have been considering turning the Husky into a KTM640 Dakar wannabe.

btw, the Raliegh has a low stand over, but a long top tube. I also have a 21" Kona t find a home for.
From what I'm seeing the WeeStrom should stay within arms length of the highway. That's pretty much what I'm looking to do these days. Unless of course I hang around in this thread and pick up some new habits.

What's a good all day light tourish rig that can eat up some jeep/quad trails...i.e. Rocky Gap kinda stuff?

I'm sure there are paaages of this answer.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:41 PM   #595
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by father8
From what I'm seeing the WeeStrom should stay within arms length of the highway. That's pretty much what I'm looking to do these days. Unless of course I hang around in this thread and pick up some new habits.

What's a good all day light tourish rig that can eat up some jeep/quad trails...i.e. Rocky Gap kinda stuff?

I'm sure there are paaages of this answer.
Well, you wouldn't want to take a V-strom on the Rocky Gap trails, that's for sure. It just has so little ground clearance for any serious offroading. You can tour on any 4-stroke, street legal bike, even a TW200. A better question is what you can cruise comfortably on. Everybody has different riding needs and wants, so you'll get a lot of answers here. If you are willing to sell the Interceptor and just have one bike, and you don't want to give up the power of a multi-cylinder engine, then the two bikes that can handle some serious offroad riding are the 950/990 Adventure and the F800GS. The competition just doesn't have the ground clearance, suspension, or weight balance to even come close to the off-road ability of these bikes.

If you plan to sell the Interceptor and are willing to "settle" for a thumper in exchange for the much lower weight, then the KTM 640 Adventure is the best option IMO (if you don't mind the vibrations), followed by the KLR650, then the TE610/KTM 690 Enduro/640 Enduro, and then just about any other 650cc dual sport out there.

If you plan to keep the Interceptor, and don't plan to spend much/any time on the freeway, then you can get a much lighter bike like the DRZ400, the KTM450/530 EXCs, etc.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:53 PM   #596
FatherX
demisocial

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT
....... If you are willing to sell the Interceptor and just have one bike...

...If you plan to sell the Interceptor and are willing to "settle" for a thumper...

If you plan to keep the Interceptor, and don't plan to spend much/any time on the freeway, then you can get a much lighter bike like the DRZ400, the KTM450/530 EXCs, etc.
It's really a miniceptor (vf500f) I'll probably never sell it

Definitely want an additional bike.

Love the Bmer 800 DS. ---much $$$
Smaller bikes are intriguing and I'll try to throw a leg over a few this winter.
Thanks for the starting thoughts!

I'm going to compile a list of bikes by seat height and available lowering mods/kits. Of course I may find this unnecessary after a couple sittings.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:47 AM   #597
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by father8
It's really a miniceptor (vf500f) I'll probably never sell it

Definitely want an additional bike.

Love the Bmer 800 DS. ---much $$$
Smaller bikes are intriguing and I'll try to throw a leg over a few this winter.
Thanks for the starting thoughts!

I'm going to compile a list of bikes by seat height and available lowering mods/kits. Of course I may find this unnecessary after a couple sittings.
If you're vertically challenged, then you will like the DR650. I actually crossed it off my shopping list when I found out how little leg room they have (I'm 6'3"). All the other bikes I mentioned are pretty tall. The old DR350s is another really nice/reliable DS that has a shorter seat height, as well as the CRF230l and the KLX250s. You could also buy a DRZ-250 and get it plated in Ohio (not hard to do). The XT225 is a nice starter bike, but you may grow out of the suspension quickly.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:01 AM   #598
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

I am in the same boat with Mark (O-PT). I am 6.2 and find most bikes to be cramped. I actually feel right at home on the 950Adv and 950se (super enduro)

IF I buy another DS it will be an aggressive bike like the 640adv mentioned by Mark. You can't buy a new one any more so it will have to be used. They still make them but do not import them.

Being that you are going to log more road miles unless you live in the sticks, One that is comfortable at speed would be more appealling than a racy one.

There is a whole thread on here about modifying Transalps for off-road. They have a nice low seat and aren't too terrible off-road as long a you respect it's abilities. My wife and I rode ours 2-up on the ATV loop at Rocky Gap no problem. The bike loop would have been a problem 2-up.

Warningt hough, rumor has it, Honda has NO, zip, nadda, none, zero fairings left in the warehouse for this bike. It's was only a rumor but I'd guard those pieces from trees, rocks...

If you ever want to test ride a 950 or a Transalp, let me know. The T-A may go up for sale in the spring and RallyCarJon has 1st dibs if still interested.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:24 PM   #599
FatherX
demisocial

Quote:
Being that you are going to log more road miles unless you live in the sticks, One that is comfortable at speed would be more appealling than a racy one.
YES...Sticks
There is a whole thread on here about modifying Transalps for off-road. They have a nice low seat and aren't too terrible off-road as long a you respect it's abilities. My wife and I rode ours 2-up on the ATV loop at Rocky Gap no problem. The bike loop would have been a problem 2-up.
Love the TAs.
Warningt hough, rumor has it, Honda has NO, zip, nadda, none, zero fairings left in the warehouse for this bike. It's was only a rumor but I'd guard those pieces from trees, rocks...

If you ever want to test ride a 950 or a Transalp, let me know. The T-A may go up for sale in the spring and RallyCarJon has 1st dibs if still interested.
Would a decent tax return buy such a thing? Is the TA a 750cc?
Either way I might take you up on the test ride some time-Thanks

This is GORGEOUS

FatherX screwed with this post 11-14-2008 at 05:39 PM
FatherX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:22 PM   #600
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Sorry, the old broad's jugs are only b-cups, 300cc each. There is plenty of power to fly down the freeway (120 + change) and to put around in the woods.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39170