ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #6001
Danjal
Insert wit here.
 
Danjal's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Location,Location
Oddometer: 2,061
Got a pic of what it looks like now? I've already been down this road before. Welding a nut on a busted stud then immediately extracting it usually works.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #6002
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer
 
rxcrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: N Ridgeville OH
Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Got a pic of what it looks like now? I've already been down this road before. Welding a nut on a busted stud then immediately extracting it usually works.
That was the plan when he brought the bike over after Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, The attempt with the easyout didn't leave much of the stud and the drill bit walked out the side of the screw into the aluminum. After seeing how big the hole was drilled through the head, I opted to try popping the head off with a cold chisel. Unfortunately, it broke below the face where the drill had exited the side of the screw. Ed headed home at that point to continue his dis-assembly with the plan being to repair the head once it was off the bike. He is now fighting with the remains of a stud with a hole drilled into it, broken off below the face. Due to the drill going through them, the threads are damaged on the stud and in the head. Sounds like fun, doesn't it?
__________________
'95+'95+'96 BMW R1100RS/RSL
AMA, OMTA (ohio organization), BRC, BMWMOA
rxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:43 AM   #6003
Danjal
Insert wit here.
 
Danjal's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Location,Location
Oddometer: 2,061
Yep. Sounds like a drill and tap job now.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:37 AM   #6004
edhead
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Kent, OH
Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
That was the plan when he brought the bike over after Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, The attempt with the easyout didn't leave much of the stud and the drill bit walked out the side of the screw into the aluminum. After seeing how big the hole was drilled through the head, I opted to try popping the head off with a cold chisel. Unfortunately, it broke below the face where the drill had exited the side of the screw. Ed headed home at that point to continue his dis-assembly with the plan being to repair the head once it was off the bike. He is now fighting with the remains of a stud with a hole drilled into it, broken off below the face. Due to the drill going through them, the threads are damaged on the stud and in the head. Sounds like fun, doesn't it?
Good synopsis.

I'll post a picture of the ugliness for all to see. But working it out with a punch was fruitless.

Gonna try Tom's guy in Minervatown.


thanks all
edhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:17 AM   #6005
edhead
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Kent, OH
Oddometer: 168
Photographic Evidence

Here it is. You can see where I got off center attempting to drill the hole for the ez out.


edhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:21 AM   #6006
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 4,893
H&H Auto, now a NAPA store on Wise Ave south of Portage used to have all that equipment, try them.
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #6007
McTacticool
Importer/Exporter
 
McTacticool's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: VanDelay Industries, Ohio
Oddometer: 247
The two guys that run the machine shop at the Uhrichsville Napa in Tcounty are good.
McTacticool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #6008
cannonrider
Backroad Adventurer
 
cannonrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: East Central ,Ohio
Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
Anyone have a link to the video of the guys in their 70s riding KTMs? I thought it was posted here, but it didn't turn up in a search. I met the dad of a guy I ride with, and he said I was awful old to be playing with dirt bikes. I thought I'd pass the video along next time I see him.
Go to You Tube. It's called Fifty Years of Kicks.A pretty cool video.
__________________
Chuck
cannonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #6009
Rich B
Studly Adventurer
 
Rich B's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Stone Creek, OH
Oddometer: 546
Talking

McTacticool sez:

"
The two guys that run the machine shop at the Uhrichsville Napa in Tcounty are good."

What, brother in laws you are trying to keep working so you don't have to support them?
__________________
LIfe is too short to drink bad beer!
Rich B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #6010
goatroper
Studly Adventurer
 
goatroper's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: NE Ohio
Oddometer: 562
Edhead

I seem to recall that someone in Kent does spark erosion, but can't recall which machine shop. I'll bet you could walk over to QuickService and they could tell you.
goatroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #6011
rbsride365
Hi-Viz
 
rbsride365's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonrider View Post
Go to You Tube. It's called Fifty Years of Kicks.A pretty cool video.


Great video. (I need a dirt bike!) Reminds me of my Dad. He plays tennis. His only friends play tennis. He is determined to play until he can no longer walk. Who am I to try to change his mind? Do what you love until you can't do it any more. No regrets. That's part of the reason that I took up bowl skating a couple of years ago after a taking 15 years off after destroying my right ankle while skating. I decided that I love the feeling, the friends I've made, and all that comes with it too much to stay away. I feel the same way about motorcycling.
__________________
ride 365!
rbsride365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #6012
rbsride365
Hi-Viz
 
rbsride365's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Oddometer: 320
F800 Thrashing

Since you've got me watching YouTube.... I thought RallycarJon would appreciate this even if no one else would. At this point in my MC career, this guy's abilities blow my mind.

__________________
ride 365!
rbsride365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #6013
McTacticool
Importer/Exporter
 
McTacticool's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: VanDelay Industries, Ohio
Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
McTacticool sez:

"
The two guys that run the machine shop at the Uhrichsville Napa in Tcounty are good."

What, brother in laws you are trying to keep working so you don't have to support them?
No relation. Good motor guys, and the elder of the two builds race car motors.
McTacticool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #6014
Jon
Adventurer
 
Jon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Akron, OH
Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsride365 View Post
Since you've got me watching YouTube.... I thought RallycarJon would appreciate this even if no one else would. At this point in my MC career, this guy's abilities blow my mind.

I am proficient at the last move for sure..... This video is the reason I went with SW Motech crash bars over the competition. They certainly seem to stand up to quite a bit of abuse and offer good protection. Too bad I got them just after I had dropped the bike for the first time.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #6015
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider
 
ScienceOfDirt's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Snowbelt/Rustbelt of Northeast Ohio
Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonrider View Post
Go to You Tube. It's called Fifty Years of Kicks.A pretty cool video.
Thanks, that's the one. I've already sent the link.
__________________
Friend: That was some trail shortcut. Me: Yep. See how fast we got lost.
ScienceOfDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014